Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

polishing stock rims??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:01 PM
DanceRemix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polishing stock rims??

what is everyone using to polish the stock rims (preferably something non-mail order--impatient )
damn brake dust isn't as easy to wash off anymore
Old 06-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Kevin Overall

I would figure that your stock wheels are clear coated like most factory wheels, you have to be careful as to what cleaner you use as most brake dust spray and hose off stuff is acid based and if you let it set on the wheel too long the clear coat will be damaged and can look cloudy, for this reason I advise all my customers to only wash their wheel with car wash and water at least once per week so not to let the brake dust build up, I also advise you strongly to wax your wheels with what ever wax or polish you use on the rest of the paint, doing so will keep the wheels slick and not allow the brake dust to bite into them making the dust easier to wash off.

Now, if you have left the dust on too long I might use a diluted solution of Simple Green and a sponge or cloth to remove the dust.

Mothers also makes a Clear Coat Wheel polish you can try.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:27 PM
erock

Default Re: polishing stock rims??

Originally posted by DanceRemix
what is everyone using to polish the stock rims (preferably something non-mail order--impatient )
damn brake dust isn't as easy to wash off anymore
Real easy, this is what I do:

- Go to WalMart and pick up a bottle of the "turtle wax spray wax" (its in a green spray bottle).

- After totally washing/waxing car, find a clean and soft terry cloth hand towel and fold into a palm sized pad.

- (Make sure rims are dry) Spray a generous(sp) amount onto terry cloth towel and wipe onto the rim...... That's it!

I haven't had time to clean my car last week but my rims still look good..... (Cleaned them about 2 weeks ago).... give it a try...

edit - jus re-read your post, my advice is meant to be done AFTER you clean your wheels.....

Last edited by erock; 06-02-2003 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:58 PM
DanceRemix

thank you all i'll try your suggestions this weekend when i finally wax my car for the first time
i've never been so excited to detail a car in my life
Old 06-02-2003, 10:33 PM
s9am_me

i use wheel wax.. it is on the EXPENSIVE side but hey.. it really works. someone did a review on it.. don't remember if it was on this forum or not. Makes rims super dooper slick (so brake dust won't stick as much) and gives it a really nice shine. Real easy to use to.. just like a wax.. buff on.. buff off to a high shine. Use it about once a month and I can wipe brake dust with just a semi-damp towel
Old 06-03-2003, 03:17 PM
bhobson333

Default Great stuff!

Meguiar's Hot Rims Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner. I'm not normally a Meguiar's user but I picked it up at the local Pep Boy's because it was the only wheel cleaner that said to apply it to wet rims. All the others said to apply to dry rims which I thought was unreasonable when washing your car!

That stuff's great! Wet wheels, spray on, wait 15 seconds, hose off, you have clean wheels! I usually go back over them with a soapy rag to get off a few little spots, but then I'm a little fanatical; I Zaino my Track wheels, even inside the spokes! I tried it on a friend's wheels who doesn't normally clean inside the spokes and it cleaned his to look almost as good as mine!

Hightly recommended; no downsides that I've seen.

Last edited by bhobson333; 06-03-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:35 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: polishing stock rims??

Originally posted by erock
Real easy, this is what I do:

- Go to WalMart and pick up a bottle of the "turtle wax spray wax" (its in a green spray bottle).

- After totally washing/waxing car, find a clean and soft terry cloth hand towel and fold into a palm sized pad.

- (Make sure rims are dry) Spray a generous(sp) amount onto terry cloth towel and wipe onto the rim...... That's it!

I haven't had time to clean my car last week but my rims still look good..... (Cleaned them about 2 weeks ago).... give it a try...

edit - jus re-read your post, my advice is meant to be done AFTER you clean your wheels.....
I wax my rims often. But you cant prevent the brake dust from building up. No matter what you do. I clean them off once a week.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:01 AM
FlaPhil

Brake dust is a bear, but I use Wheel Wax. Brake dust doesn't seem to stick as bad, and it really makes the wheels look great.

The stuff is like pudding and cleans off stuff that you pick up from the road really easy.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:52 PM
n8vz

zymol used to make..let me rephrase.. Target used to sell a "Zymol" brand wheel cleaner kit that included an acid-free cleaner and a clear wheel spray that did a good job at making wheels shine, as well as cutting down on brake dust. I have heard that it is not made by Zymol, but rather it is made by someone else which uses the Zymol name(royalties?)
Old 06-08-2003, 11:01 AM
maximadave

TX STYLE recommended me Meguiars spray wax since he and I have the same Antera Type 321 rims. Works very well.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Judge

I use Wizzards dressing. It's used for dressing tires and trim. The stuff dries to the touch, not like armourall. After the wheels are cleaned and dried apply Wizzards with a sponge and wipe it completely off with a dry rag. Leaves a smooth slick shiny finish.