Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Why's the NSX faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:56 PM
SergEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Not bad... I can match that with my 305hp car .. I also weigh a lot more.
With a factory NA 3.2L V6 Good luck......few engines that good and they are all import brands
Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
kleefton

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I'm not saying the numbers are bad. Just saying not to compare the NXS with the Lotus (you mentioned the hp output). The Lotus has a much bettter HP/weight ratio over the NSX. A well driven Lotus Exige-S will chew up a well driven NSX on the track any day of the week, unlkess you're racing on an oval.
I recall seeing a direct comparison of those two before; the exige loses on the straights and high speed sweepers. In the tigher turns the Exige with its lighter weight was better. But on any average road course the NSX would likely lap it. There is quite a sizeable difference in acceleration between these two.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by kleefton
I recall seeing a direct comparison of those two before; the exige loses on the straights and high speed sweepers. In the tigher turns the Exige with its lighter weight was better. But on any average road course the NSX would likely lap it. There is quite a sizeable difference in acceleration between these two.
The Exige-S will out-accelerate and outhandle the NSX (any type, including the R, etc.). The only place the NSX will beat the Lotus is in the high speed straights (not very many of those on courses).

With equal drivers, pigs will fly before an NSX laps an Exige-S. I'm not talking about the standard Exige or Elise.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:45 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by 97supratt
LS1?
Shhh... I only have 305hp at least that's what GM said.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:33 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shhh... I only have 305hp at least that's what GM said.
Yet you guys dyno more to the wheels. lol Just like the famous LS7 505 engine hp. hahah Gotta love GM huh.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 AM
S8ER95Z

Yep.. but it's fun messing with people who don't know... You just busted me out though. I even got lucky (01 and 02 models have LS6 components. ) Honestly I was never an NSX fan... in fact my very narrow viewpoint on them was 'what a waste' especially when looking at outright performance specs (your typical line up doesn't include fastest lap times at road america fwiw)... after a good conversation with Cubu I have to admit he opened my eyes to the appeal. I still don't love the NSX but I have a new found respect considering it's abilities.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by deezz
same reason the GTO is way slower than the C6. Even w/ the same engine.

Wrong. It's called weight. GTO's weigh 700lb more than the vette.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:48 PM
archspeed

Originally Posted by dwf137
agreed. I don't see the need to praise vtec either. The technology is awesome and is still improving, but now it's in just about every damn honda out there. There's no need for the stickers and praise that it's getting, but hell, people still see the need to put "dohc" stickers on their civics too. There's much better valve timing systems out there now, honda just happened to be pretty much the first to make it "main stream" i guess.

VVT is awesome, and I'm sure it'll keep developing as time goes on, but I don't really see a need to advertise it either. Everyone knows z's have it, just as much as everyone knows honda's have vtec..
Hi, I would just like to point out some mistakes in here...

VTEC is not the same as VVT in our Z's. VTEC is not "really" variable valve timing. Yes, VTEC means Variable Valve Timing with Electronic Lift Control but it is not a continuous valve timing system that adjusts valve opening/closing timing, like in our Z's, or BMW's VANOS, or Mitsu's MIVEC systems. Our VVTs actually variables valve timing, as in the true sense of the word, VTEC does not.

So...please remember, VTEC does not vary the valve timing. It varies valve LIFT Which is different from just valve timing alone.

Valve lift is the length of the valve opening. If I remember correctly, VVT does not alter valve lift, only altering valve timing and maybe at most, valve opening duration.

VVT alters valve timing continuously across the entire RPM band. VTEC variables valve timing at only one point in the RPM band.

So....our VVT has ABSOLUTELY nothing in functional similarities to VTEC.

And yes, alot of Honda cars has VTEC. But there's actually FOUR types of VTEC. Only a few Honda cars have the real, performance-enhancing VTEC, which is the performance VTEC system that came with VALVE LIFT on both intake and exhaust valves of a DOUBLE OVERHEAD CAMS engines.

Those cars are: NSX, Integra GSR and Integra Type R, Honda Prelude VTEC, del Sol VTEC, EM1 and current Civic Si, S2000, and RSX Type S.

The current Civic Si and RSX Type S, as you know, combine BOTH continously variable valve timing AND valve lift. i-VTEC is the 2nd generation of DOHC VTEC .

The list above are for Honda cars that were officially imported to the US.

Most other cars from Honda that carries VTEC and are SOHC are carrying the 2nd version of VTEC, SOHC VTEC that only has valve lift on the intake valves. It gives some performance but cannot compare to the extremity of DOHC VTEC systems.

The other leftover Honda cars that carry VTEC are carrying the VTEC-E (intake valve shutdown technology) or 3-stage VTEC system (which combines SOHC VTEC intake valve lift along with VTEC-E intake valve shutdown).

So, let's put it to rest. VVT IS NOT VTEC. VVT = Variable Valve Timing in its truest sense. VTEC is just VALVE LIFT, and only at ONE POINT on the RPM band, the so-called "VTEC just kicked in yo!" point.

VTEC is not really variable valve timing as its acronym would suggest. So the VTEC is actually a misnomer. I guess Honda marketing likes the way VTEC rolls off the tongue hahaha

No VTEC system has ever been reported to fail. Not bad for a 1986 technology, first introduced on a 1988 Honda civic si, that pretty much relies on simple hydraulic workings and different cam profiles IN ONE ENGINE eh? It is a truly revolutionary drivetrain engineering achievement.

And if anyone have to ask: YES, VTEC is a Formula-1 derived technology.

Back to the topic: I would take an NSX over my Z in a heartbeat. It's just too damn expensive! Which is probably good because then most people won't get their hands on them...maybe when I get older and have more money I'd be able to obtain one.

Last edited by archspeed; 04-22-2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: f
Old 04-22-2007, 11:48 PM
archspeed

Sorry for the long essay
Old 04-23-2007, 06:06 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Wrong. It's called weight. GTO's weigh 700lb more than the vette.
Yup.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 AM
HDPDZO6

Yup.
And don't forget the wimpy tires they stuck on the GTO.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
VelocityC6

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
And don't forget the wimpy tires they stuck on the GTO.

It very tough to get a good launch on those 245 size all-seasons. Once I went to Nitto DR's, the car hooked much better and much more consistent. GTO was a nice car, but I was disapointed with it's performance.....too heavy, too easy to heatsoak.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM
S8ER95Z

Sadly heat soak on the GTO is more of a performance killer than the extra weight. I've seen respectable times from the GTO but it took some work to get them.

As far as hookin on 245s... I feel your pain