Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Burnout in water box

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 AM
DouBLeJ16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnout in water box

Well, I'm on NT555 street tires so I'm not looking for a crazy smokey burnout, but I would like to clean them off a little more than I'm currently doing.

The car spins just a little in 1st, then hooks and trys to start going (or at least creeps forward a little).. I can never just sit there and spin.

I heard taking out a fuse can fix this.. I guess it disabled your rear brakes so you can just stomp on the brakes while spinning..

Any more info about it? I searched and couldn't find anything. What fuse is it? Anyone have a picture?

BTW, I'll make sure to put the fuse back in before I leave the track, this is only for when I'm running.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Skorch

Have you tried using your e-brake?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
SteevoZ

Originally Posted by Skorch
E-brake!!!??? WHAT? The e-brake stops the rear wheels.

There is a fuse that disables the brake lights which also disables the limiting of the throttle during braking. This way you can use the brakes just enough to hold the front wheels and let the rears spin while giving it all the throttle you want.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you don't have VDC so i don't think that fuse thing would work on your car.

Are you doing a burn out correctly?

Try this...

rev to 3k, dump the clutch and the switch your clutch pedal foot over to the brake pedal and hold down while pressing the gas pedal. So your car can stay in one place while doign a burn out.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
SteevoZ

^^Base models still have throttle limiting when the brake lights go on.

What you need to do it pull the fuse for the 3rd brake light (i think its just that one) and then do as SuperBlack350z said, holding the brakes just enough to keep the fronts in place while still allowing the rears to spin.

EDIT: Base models also do not have a LSD which means you'll mostly have one wheel spinning and the other staying still.

Last edited by SteevoZ; 02-28-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:58 AM
skr00ball

Originally Posted by SteevoZ
E-brake!!!??? WHAT? The e-brake stops the rear wheels.
He apparently was speaking to the civic crowd
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
blktrack350

well if you are on street tires you dont need a monster burnout. and you shouldent be going threw the water.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
NismoZ350

SO you're trying to clean your tires by doing a burnout? Have I been missing something? (serious)
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The brake light fuse thing is for an automatic transmission. If you hit the gas and clutch hard, the tires will spin forever. Its difficult to sit in one spot because the rear end will want to come around. It doesn't take much to clean off street tires.

BTW where are the time slips?

Last edited by davidv; 09-29-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 AM
DouBLeJ16

Originally Posted by Skorch
Dear Skorch,

I just ruined my brakes. Thank you.

haha.. just kidding. The e-brake trick worked with my scion tc, but not the Z.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 AM
cmart350

Unless you are on drag slicks just rev it up and pop the clutch for a quick little clean off of the tires (pebbles, rocks, etc.) and don't go through the water. Don't know why you'd need to do any more then that.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
DouBLeJ16

Originally Posted by davidv
The brake light fuse thing is for an automatic transmission. If you hit the gas and clutch hard, the tires will spin forever. Its difficult to sit in one sport because the rear end will want to come around. It doesn't take much to clean off street tires.

BTW where are the time slips?
Are you sure it's only for automatic's? I've seen alot of manual owners talking about it here in the past.

Also, I have no time slips worth posting.. At least nothing that would make it onto the list, considering I'd be placed in the modified catagory with my popcharger. I ran some horrible times in the 1/8th mile on saturday because it was so nasty humid out, I think my best was a 9.34 @ 77mph.. very weak 60', MPH was 3 lower than normal.

Out at this track there is alot of dirt/shells/crap laying on the ground, when you get in line your tires get very dirty. The moron's that operate the track spray water all the way across the entire lane so you have to roll through it, there is no going around like at bradenton. I usually go through it kind of fast, sit about 2 feet in front of the water and start "trying" to do a burnout.. It usually spins for 2 seconds then starts moving forward.

I haven't been hitting the brake at all when doing a burnout because I always thought you had to do the fuse trick to not mess anything up.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
DouBLeJ16

Originally Posted by cmart350
Unless you are on drag slicks just rev it up and pop the clutch for a quick little clean off of the tires (pebbles, rocks, etc.) and don't go through the water. Don't know why you'd need to do any more then that.
Because 90% of the time I can't go around the water. They really need to work on their water spraying skills. I'm just trying to burn the water off/clean them.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
Are you sure it's only for automatic's? I've seen alot of manual owners talking about it here in the past.
Yes. The automatic transmission will not let you “power brake” or “torque brake.” That is braking and giving the car gas in drive. Automatic racers will give you a better description.

As you mentioned, at some dragstrips its impossible to go around the water.

Last edited by davidv; 02-28-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
SteevoZ

In manuals, power is cut by 30% when both brake and gas are pressed at the same time. If thats not the same as in the automatics its a similar concept and does make it harder to power brake.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by davidv
Yes. The automatic transmission will not let you “power brake” or “torque brake.” That is braking and giving the car gas in drive. Automatic racers will give you a better description.

As you mentioned, at some dragstrips its impossible to go around the water.

I respectfully disagree...I have never pulled my brake fuse. I did notice you said braking and giving the car gas in DRIVE. I've only done burnouts in manual mode and have not had any problems. Never tried to do the burnout in drive.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by coachk
I respectfully disagree...I have never pulled my brake fuse. I did notice you said braking and giving the car gas in DRIVE. I've only done burnouts in manual mode and have not had any problems. Never tried to do the burnout in drive.
At the starting line you have one foot on the brake, and with the other foot you are picking up the RPM. The transmission is in gear. Is that correct?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Get_Zwole

it cuts power even in a manual. When i first got the car i dumped at around 4 k got up to 5k and was on the brake and gas and i ended up killing it it just fell on its face. gonna have to pull the fuse or throw a fit that they are idiots spraying the water.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
it cuts power even in a manual. When i first got the car i dumped at around 4 k got up to 5k and was on the brake and gas and i ended up killing it it just fell on its face. gonna have to pull the fuse or throw a fit that they are idiots spraying the water.
I see no reason why with a manual transmission you would be on the gas and brakes with the transmission in gear. Fill me in.

Are you confusing “cutting the power” with the torque converter simply reaching the stall RPM?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
SteevoZ

^^ long stand still burnouts.. not sure about drifting but i'm sure some people use this as a technique in drifting.

Quick Reply: Burnout in water box