Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Drifting the z

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
TheresaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting the z

Hi! I'm pretty nervous posting this new thread for 2 reasons: First of all, I'm a girl with a 6 speed manual z! Second, I've read some pretty cruel threads posted earlier. I just wanted to know what you guys think about drifting a stock z. I've heard that taking off cruise control (with the button) is not enough. Has anyone tried to drift their z? And please don't bother if you are just going to say I'm stupid since Chris Forsberg drifts a z...mine is stock! Also it seems like the steering angle is quite limited. Educate me please
Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 AM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This should get interesting. sub'd

Welcome to the forums none the less.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM
kyx4n

Welcome too..

but yes.. this thread is not a good idea.

And go sign up for driving schools, if you really want to learn how to control your car.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Kupalo

Well what I do know is that Stocks Z's are not meant for drifting. It will wear on your car much more than you would expect, you would definitely need to upgrade certain parts on the car to be able to do it effectively.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound like you have no experience drifting. If you plan on drift racing, you will need to take some turns with someone who knows what they are doing. Book a time at a local track and find a class or other driver who knows what they are doing.

If you are planning on trying to drift on public roads, not only will you find no help here, but you're an idiot who deserves to be ridiculed. I only hope that isn't the case.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Are you 17? ; ) to all, who get my drift.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
neox

cruise control != traction control

nudes??
Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
You sound like you have no experience drifting. If you plan on drift racing, you will need to take some turns with someone who knows what they are doing. Book a time at a local track and find a class or other driver who knows what they are doing.

If you are planning on trying to drift on public roads, not only will you find no help here, but you're an idiot who deserves to be ridiculed. I only hope that isn't the case.
lol. no i haven't tried drifting in the street. I have before with my s2k. Not the z, i value it way too much. So no. I don't have much drifting experience. My question is, do you? Not that i do drift in the streets but some good drifters i know started in the streets and do end up on the tracks. The only thing i did on the track was autocross with the z, pretty fun
Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by neox
cruise control != traction control

nudes??
Did I say Cruise? oops. I meant traction control. lol
Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by NyCSnEaK
Welcome! Are you 17? ; ) to all, who get my drift.
ha.ha. no i'm not 17! jerk! I did read the post about 17 yrd olds. Thanks for the welcome though..
Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to drift, start looking at different suspension setups and maybe wheel/tire setups. You can always ask Chris Forsberg on what to do.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I smell another troll. Mods ip check???
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It would be cool if we had a drifting forum.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Xlr82x

Originally Posted by TheresaZ
Hi! I'm pretty nervous posting this new thread for 2 reasons: First of all, I'm a girl with a 6 speed manual z! Second, I've read some pretty cruel threads posted earlier. I just wanted to know what you guys think about drifting a stock z. I've heard that taking off cruise control (with the button) is not enough. Has anyone tried to drift their z? And please don't bother if you are just going to say I'm stupid since Chris Forsberg drifts a z...mine is stock! Also it seems like the steering angle is quite limited. Educate me please
Need more info on the Car, You say it is stock but what year or version of the Z do you have? I am assuming you have an enthusiast version if not better would be be a good start. In my opinion you wont have enough power to keep it consistent, you will need some extra power to break loose easier. Plus you may want to invest in a new differential, stocks are not stout enough for the abuse associated with drifting. Oh and like mentioned above, change the suspension too...

So to answer your question, not suggested with a stock car.. FI it, new suspension, and new differential.

Oh and by the way the NO one would have known you were a girl if you didn't write it or display your text in purple... Just keep that in mind when writing... It keeps the leg humpers off.

Last edited by Xlr82x; 05-12-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
TheresaZ

Originally Posted by Xlr82x
Need more info on the Car, You say it is stock but what year or version of the Z do you have? I am assuming you have an enthusiast version if not better would be be a good start. In my opinion you wont have enough power to keep it consistent, you will need some extra power to break loose easier. Plus you may want to invest in a new differential, stocks are not stout enough for the abuse associated with drifting. Oh and like mentioned above, change the suspension too...

So to answer your question, not suggested with a stock car.. FI it, new suspension, and new differential.

Oh and by the way the NO one would have known you were a girl if you didn't write it or display your text in purple... Just keep that in mind when writing... It keeps the leg humpers off.
haha that's funny...leg humpers... I should have put a different screen name alsoI agree with you, I have been told to get new differentials and suspension, but I'm still debating on that. I have a 2003 Touring Edition. I guess I just wanted to know if anyone else out there is actually taking their z sideways or just they just race them.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can still drift on a stock 350z with no AM suspension setup. I have drifted mine on a closed course and it's just as good. The suspension is stiff enough and the car is powerful enough to continue your drifting. My friend who also drifts drives a stock AE86 and can drift without sputtering. He only had AM springs and still looked good at drifting. The main thing is that you can drift almost anything (even fwd) if you are determined. Only sugguestion is to practice it at a closed course.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

hi, and welcome......

guys keep it clean and respectful, we were all new once...

I would say its best you take the time to read my DRIFTING 101 - A GUIDE/INSIGHT TO DRIFTING THE Z thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/drift/39963...ing-the-z.html

It's a good start and you can ask questions in that forum/thread if you like...

-J
Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
tanabe350z

look below i double posted somehow
Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
tanabe350z

welcome and can we get some pics of the car, lol and maybe a drift section would be nice to have on this forum
Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM
ZBigDog

Nope, I use my 03 Touring for pimping purposes only and plan on having her for at least 10 more years so racing/drifting/too-fast-too furious expeditions are not in the plan for me and my Z.

Quick Reply: Drifting the z