Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Has this happened to you...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004 | 03:03 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Arrow Has this happened to you...?

SkiDazzle and I hooked in his laptop for a quick code check and it was a 42 I believe, we narrowed it down to a 'small evap leak'. So I took my baby in and indeed it turned out to be a "small evap leak" coming from the tank fuel pump seal or some shiz. At any rate... Fixed under warranty, no prob.
Then the next night I'm driving along (like to raise my rpm's up every now & then since the JWT & BORLA sound is fokin sweet) and I'm in 4th gear @ 5k+, I shift into neutral and coast... and the rpm's drop all the way down to off! WTF?
Hmmm? So naturally I pop the clutch, and she restarts no prob. Wondering if this was a fluke, I tried it again. And in 4 & 5 (no room for 6) gear above 5k, same shiz! Then I kinda noticed a somewhat rough idle at standstill...
I went in yesterday to the dealer, my tech hooks up the 'unit' as usual... nothing shows. So he decides to do a "re-learn of the idle". We go for a spin while hooked-up for 'dios' and problem solved! He siad he hadn't seen this problem with 350's yet, but had in a couple of Maxima's.
He also noted my car was running damn near perfect air/fuel ratio. And that it "pulled hard and sounded strong".

By the way, this was up at the new Nissan of Mckinney (sister store of Trophy).
Old 12-05-2004 | 03:37 PM
metalz

First...those Volks look sick...pm where you got them please and some specs

Second...Blade is the bomb...I am going to see it wends for sure

Third...my old man had a 996 Porsche that he put an intake on and he had the same problem...the solution was to get rid of the, as he put it, "the goddanm intake you put in my car boy"
Old 12-05-2004 | 07:26 PM
ROME

I've been told by many an old man not to put the car into neutral with such a high rpm running. They told me "hey all that spinning is going nowhere and wearing the engine out faster than you should let it" anyways love the car, it looks like mine without the wing.
Old 12-06-2004 | 06:50 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I know that some folks were having 'shutoff' when initially installing INTAKES, but it was usually due to not resetting the ECU. Which happened to me the first time.

And you know my **** will be up at the 8:00 showing for BLADE III without question....

As a matter fact, I'm gonna invite some of my Dallas area peeps to meet me out!
Old 12-06-2004 | 03:06 PM
AParshall04

I had this problem once, i was on the freeway and got off on an exit. Being that the exit was a gradual upward slow i figured "hey ill throw it in nuetral and coast up so i dont have to use my brakes." Well the car flat out died on me, i was going about 60mph, no power steering, no power brakes, it was kinda scary. I started the car back up as i was rolling and it ran fine.
Old 12-06-2004 | 06:00 PM
DIGItonium

This issue has been discussed before over a year ago, so you're not the only one.

I have a JWT pop-charger as well and my car would die on me if I quickly go into neutral after accelerating to anything past 60mph (guesstimate) - OR - I go quickly go into neutral as I get to an exit ramp.

I got in the habit (newby to manual trannies at the time) of leaving it in gear or downshifting quickly as I exit the ramp or skip to 6th gear and coast after hard acceleration.

Someone in the forum suggested the MAF was getting extra volume of air when letting off the throttle and the car went into "oh ****" mode and killed the engine.

After changing my driving habits, though, my car hasn't died on me since.

-Phuong
Old 12-07-2004 | 05:36 PM
chrism1

I am going to try that the neutral thing and see what happens. I have the nismo cai. So we will find out wassup!
Old 12-07-2004 | 07:56 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

>>This issue has been discussed before over a year ago, so you're not the only one.

I have a JWT pop-charger as well and my car would die on me if I quickly go into neutral after accelerating to anything past 60mph (guesstimate) - OR - I go quickly go into neutral as I get to an exit ramp.

I got in the habit (newby to manual trannies at the time) of leaving it in gear or downshifting quickly as I exit the ramp or skip to 6th gear and coast after hard acceleration.

Someone in the forum suggested the MAF was getting extra volume of air when letting off the throttle and the car went into "oh ****" mode and killed the engine.

After changing my driving habits, though, my car hasn't died on me since.

-Phuong<<

Maybe Phuong... But remember.... After re-learning the 'idle'... problem solved!