Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What the hell happened??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Rollin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What the hell happened??

Ok, can anyone give me a little help.. dont know what's wrong.. (the car is a 2003 z350.. i picked it up barely 2 weeks ago)
Im driving down the road, i stop at the red light, light turns green so im turning left, i punch it, and as soon as i round the corner, i hear something let go. Immediately i notice my check engine light, and my AT (automatic transmission) light goes on, AND my shift light that tells me what position i am in, drive, park, etc, is now blank.. nothing at all. I get to the next red light, and all my other gauges are fine. I leave the light, and its extremely sluggish, and i start to notice a smell like burnt rubber, or burnt clutch like smell. I get home, and take a look to notice that the A/C serpentine belt is half shredded, but the half that is still on still spins. The next day i bring it to nissan to change the belts, figuring this is the problem, and all will be fine after the new belts are installed. Not so, the mechanic tells me there is something very seriously wrong with the computer, or he's not quite sure, the car is in some kind of mode, and the tranny is trying to leave in 2nd or 3rd gear, thats why it is sluggish. Also, it does not start right away, it takes a few tries to actually start the car. He didn't put it on the diagnostics because it was rounding 5pm, but it does go in next tuesday. of course the car just rounded 61 000km (canada) and the basic warranty is over.
Now has anyone ever heard of this or had anything similar? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 AM
titankiller

Sounds like your car is in limp mode, which is a security program in the ECU. The dealership should be able to reset this this. If not, I think there is some ECU resetting instructions on the Technosquare websit!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Rollin

Limp mode, thats what he said, but any ideas what exactly is going on here?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:57 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have had it for 2 weeks the dealer should cover your problems, no questions asked. If not, get a lawyer and put some pressure on them. There is no reason for you to pay for major mechanical failure within 2 weeks of purchase like that.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:03 PM
zzzya

If there is a problem with the tranny or any wiring such as a ground to the tranny, the TCM will signal a special mode which locks the tranny into 4th gear. I had this happen when a ground wire was damaged. The dealer should be able to figure it out with the Consult II system and hopefully have it figured out without too much cost. My car wouldn't even fire the starter when I had this issue and I had to hot wire the starter to get the car to the dealer
Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the belt shredding may have knocked a wire loose somewhere up front, causing the limp mode; it's probably not all that serious.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Rollin

well it goes in on tuesday.. thanx for the advice.. i'll let you know what happens!!

rollin
Old 05-16-2006, 02:22 AM
Rollin

so i got news, apparently something electrical or the computer inside the transmission turned bad.. so she's covered.. i'll be back in no time!!!

rollin