Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 AM
bremboboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have started the oil consumption test...engine oil was in the "No Good" portion of the 1000-1500 mile part in the tsb.

I was looking at the NHTSA complaints for the 2006 350z oil consumption, and I only see 4 complaints. We need to make the right people aware fo this issue if the V2 truly isn't solving the problem because otherwise we are screwed. Go to the NHTSA website and submit a complaint!

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
This website is responsible for recalls.

A tsb is nice, but for the unsuspecting 2006 350z rev up owners who get their oil changed at the stealership and happily listen to the stealership bs will never know of this issue until the engine is irreparably damaged out of warranty or when it explodes on the freeway and results in a possibly fatal crash.

The v1 and v2 need to be tested by an outside agency that is Not Nissan. I don't know when or how this will be possible if we don't increase our complaints to ALL possible sources: ie. legal action, bbb, nhtsa, etc. If the v2 does not have the same performance specs as the v1 or if it consumes only a little less than the v2 then the tsb is not a legitimate tsb and a tsb itself is NOT sufficient for this issue.

Last edited by bremboboy; 01-06-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:02 PM
ZLOC06

Originally Posted by bremboboy
I have started the oil consumption test...engine oil was in the "No Good" portion of the 1000-1500 mile part in the tsb.

I was looking at the NHTSA complaints for the 2006 350z oil consumption, and I only see 4 complaints. We need to make the right people aware fo this issue if the V2 truly isn't solving the problem because otherwise we are screwed. Go to the NHTSA website and submit a complaint!

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
This website is responsible for recalls.

A tsb is nice, but for the unsuspecting 2006 350z rev up owners who get their oil changed at the stealership and happily listen to the stealership bs will never know of this issue until the engine is irreparably damaged out of warranty or when it explodes on the freeway and results in a possibly fatal crash.

The v1 and v2 need to be tested by an outside agency that is Not Nissan. I don't know when or how this will be possible if we don't increase our complaints to ALL possible sources: ie. legal action, bbb, nhtsa, etc. If the v2 does not have the same performance specs as the v1 or if it consumes only a little less than the v2 then the tsb is not a legitimate tsb and a tsb itself is NOT sufficient for this issue.
Posted complaint. Thanks for the link. I'm on my second engine, with the same issue only after 4k miles.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes good reminder about the NHTSA.
Posted that awhile back on here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=1954

And created a seperate thread about it too prior to Nissans TSB release:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/316200-owners-of-vq-oil-consumption.html
Haven't bumped it for awhile being you guys got that TSB, but with more V2 failures, guess filing should continue with NHTSA.
No TSB for us Infiniti folks yet.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-06-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:42 PM
jmaldonado

Well, I completed the Oil consumption test on Friday, and I defentily have a bad engine. The dealer says they have to make a couple of calls, but it looks like a new engine is in my future. I am not sure that is the route I want to go with this, so I have already gotten all my info to my lawyer. I am worried about resale value, and over all dependability after the engine is installed. I am also concerned about the warranty on the new engine, and what happens after the original warranty is up. If anyone in Houston is going threw this, please pm me, and let me know your situation.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
NeverBoneStock

everyone on here needs to file a complaint with NHTSA!!!! IT IS THE ONLY WAY THIS THING IS GOING TO GET EXPOSED!!!!!!!1
Old 01-07-2008, 07:54 PM
bremboboy

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
everyone on here needs to file a complaint with NHTSA!!!! IT IS THE ONLY WAY THIS THING IS GOING TO GET EXPOSED!!!!!!!1
+1 Dont let NISSAN get away with this inadequate fix!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
As soon as I get my car back from the dealer and find out I STILL have oil consumption (which by the looks of it, I most likely will), I'll file that complaint. Thanks for the link!

DAMN NISSAN!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for those with continuing OC and v2 engines..
-How many are following the nissan recommended break in method?

Cheers,
Old 01-09-2008, 09:59 PM
9kFever

I recently appointed Norman Taylor and Associates to represent me in a lemon law case against NNA. I will keep you all posted.

3 VQ35 motors....all oil consumers including one V2.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 AM
sumo1869

Hi all,

I purchased a 2006 MT Z from Carmax in Dulles, VA about 5 months ago. It had 8500 miles on it. After about 1200 miles (mainly city but about 400 highway) I noticed the oil was low and took it to a Nissan dealership. They changed the oil and I talked to them about the issue after reading about it here. This was before the TSB was released. I told them I'd drive it and bring it back to check on the oil. I was planning on taking it back after 500 miles but my schedule wouldn't allow it.

I take public transportation to work and car pool home so my Z (primary/only car) doesn't get used too much. It has been 3 months since my oil change and I had put 2200 (500 highway) miles on the car for a total of 12k miles. So instead of waiting for mileage I decided to change the oil every 3 months. I told the Advisor I work with this morning to check the oil level. When I mentioned the oil level he said "So you read the internet." I said yeah and mentioned the TSB. He said they'd check it out.

After about an hour he came back and said my oil was low and that they had ordered a new engine for me.

The dealership I'm using is Browns Nissan in Fairfax, VA (closest one to me). The FP-Number on the oil change bill for the engine is 10102-AC7MZ, the description is Engine-Bare and the Unit price is 10264.18.

This is only the 2nd time I've been to this dealership so I was surprised they didn't give me a hard time about it. They said the engine should be in next week. I'll give everyone an update after I get the engine installed, break it in, and see if it's still burning oil.

-Sumo
Old 01-10-2008, 06:46 AM
dbasal

Default Official Update

Just got back from the dealer.

The v2 FAILED the consumption test.

Down 20mm. I am not sure the exact mileage, so I do apologize about that.

They said they were going to call Nissan about getting the engine replaced, but naturally it will not come to that since this was a final repair attempt.

Now I get to call Nissan and give them the "Told you so!" speech.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM
seeyinz

Default 06 Track Model

Just started my first test at OC Nissan in Irvine, CA. I think I'm using about 3.5 qts per 3000 miles. They said they have done a few replacements and have not heard of any problems after that. Not sure if I believe that. We'll see...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by seeyinz
Just started my first test at OC Nissan in Irvine, CA. I think I'm using about 3.5 qts per 3000 miles. They said they have done a few replacements and have not heard of any problems after that. Not sure if I believe that. We'll see...
ya i wouldn't believe that either. because most people are still having problems withe the v-2 engine. I'll get my car back from the dealer tomorrow with the v-2 engine. I'll keep you guys posted on how that goes
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
BabyZiLLa

My V2 was going in on the 14th. I've postponed that to give me time to fight with corporate. Not going well so far though.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
bremboboy

Im gunna repost this every time I see a new oil burner on this fourm

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

This website is responsible for recalls. Make one happen that actually fixes the problem by sending a complaint. V2 = not working
Old 01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
BabyZiLLa

This website is responsible for recalls. Make one happen that actually fixes the problem by sending a complaint. V2 = not working
Won't accept complaints from Canadians unfortunately.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
sumo1869

As soon as I get the new engine and if I find that it too burns oil, I'll be happy to lodge a complaint.

-Sumo
Old 01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by sumo1869
As soon as I get the new engine and if I find that it too burns oil, I'll be happy to lodge a complaint.

-Sumo

Lodge the complaint now. The first one burnt. Thats not good enough?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
sumo1869

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Lodge the complaint now. The first one burnt. Thats not good enough?
I see your point and can tell you are upset about the whole situation, as am I. Trust me. But Nissan released the TSB to deal with the issue (a bit late, I admit). However, before I lodge a complaint I'm going to see if the replacement engine fixes the problem. If it doesn't I'll go back to Nissan and see how they plan to make it right and I'll lodge a complaint with the NTHSB.

Fair enough?

-Sumo

Last edited by sumo1869; 01-10-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by sumo1869
I see your point and can tell you are upset about the whole situation, as am I. Trust me. But Nissan released the TSB to deal with the issue (a bit late, I admit). However, before I lodge a complaint I'm going to see if the replacement engine fixes the problem. If it does I'll go back to Nissan and see how they plan to make it right and I'll lodge a complaint with the NTHSB.

Fair enough?

-Sumo
I understand. Me personally. Im at the end of my ropes with them. I have no sympathy or respect left so the gloves are off so to speak.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion