Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No call back yet. This is the second time I have made this request and the first time I never received a call. Funny though, when I said the new engine was burning oil, I got a call in less than 24 hours.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 AM
creationv2

dropped my z off this morning to get some surgery done. it was smooth, i just dropped her off and got my rental. though it was discomforting to hear that my z is their first z motor swap O_o. hopefully i can get it by tomorrow if they have someone thats done it before or is knowledgeable...

ill update as need be =D

edit: did you know - the cost of these v2 engines to the dealership for warranty is $7,369? and if this doesnt fix it and lets say everyones warranty expires....itd be like 10k+? thats freaking ridiculous!

also since im not going through the BBB or any of that legal stuff to get nissan to try to fix my z, i dont think ill be getting an extended warranty....but ill ask about it when its all done....sucks for me (for now)

Last edited by creationv2; 08-09-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 AM
andy2434

Well, first and foremost, thanks to all of you good folks for your input in this thread. After following this topic for awhile, I took my '05 - 6MT G35 coupe back to the dealer for it's 2nd engine oil consumption test.

Yesterday, I went back to the dealer for the results of the 1st 1000 mile interval oil check. The oil was 1-1/2 qts. low at 950 miles. This result is much worst than the test from over a year ago. I am curious what the 2nd 1000 mile reading will bring.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
dropped my z off this morning to get some surgery done. it was smooth, i just dropped her off and got my rental. though it was discomforting to hear that my z is their first z motor swap O_o. hopefully i can get it by tomorrow if they have someone thats done it before or is knowledgeable...

ill update as need be =D

edit: did you know - the cost of these v2 engines to the dealership for warranty is $7,369? and if this doesnt fix it and lets say everyones warranty expires....itd be like 10k+? thats freaking ridiculous!

also since im not going through the BBB or any of that legal stuff to get nissan to try to fix my z, i dont think ill be getting an extended warranty....but ill ask about it when its all done....sucks for me (for now)
Yeah. The cost would be considerable. My guess is that is why Nissan is not making anything official yet. Although, at this point, even with a vehicle out of warranty, I would think they would have to eat the cost.

This problem should be a very well known issue by now.

FYI, still no call.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by andy2434
Well, first and foremost, thanks to all of you good folks for your input in this thread. After following this topic for awhile, I took my '05 - 6MT G35 coupe back to the dealer for it's 2nd engine oil consumption test.

Yesterday, I went back to the dealer for the results of the 1st 1000 mile interval oil check. The oil was 1-1/2 qts. low at 950 miles. This result is much worst than the test from over a year ago. I am curious what the 2nd 1000 mile reading will bring.
Such fun!

Going back to what creationv2 was saying about the warranty period. If I owned an 05 G or 35th Anv Z, I would certainly be looking closely at my oil. Many of them should be getting pretty close to being out of warranty and it would be interesting to see what Nissan does at that point.

Like I mention, my opinion is that Nissan would still need to cover the issue, but with their track record, who knows what they would do.

Good luck to you. It sounds like a new engine will be in your future.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by creationv2

ill update as need be =D

Doesn't mean the you can't go the BBB route if what they're doing now doesn't work. Just hope this first repair is the fix and you'll be done with this madness.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
antennahead

What were you guys with the "new" V2 engines told about breakin....... the same as is in the manual now? Has anyone done anything different than that? is NNA recommending anything different?

John
Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by antennahead
What were you guys with the "new" V2 engines told about breakin....... the same as is in the manual now? Has anyone done anything different than that? is NNA recommending anything different?

John
I was told by everyone from the Nissan tech that came out for the final repair meeting to the dealer service manager that the break-in is not required and that there should be no oil loss during that period of time.

[Edit] The initial break-in (brand new car) is mainly for other components and not so much the engine. Since these are just new blocks and not new cars (yet), no break-in needed.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by dbasal
I was told by everyone from the Nissan tech that came out for the final repair meeting to the dealer service manager that the break-in is not required and that there should be no oil loss during that period of time.

[Edit] The initial break-in (brand new car) is mainly for other components and not so much the engine. Since these are just new blocks and not new cars (yet), no break-in needed.
Interesting, are these engines run in at the plant?

John
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by dbasal
No call back yet. This is the second time I have made this request and the first time I never received a call. Funny though, when I said the new engine was burning oil, I got a call in less than 24 hours.
Did you ever get a call back?

John
Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 PM
dbasal

Did you ever get a call back?

John
Not a peep.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 PM
dbasal

Interesting, are these engines run in at the plant?

John
I would certainly think so. They certainly do not just put the engine in and let her go. I ordered the car and it still had 9 miles on it. So they do something with them.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 AM
ZLOC06

Well folks, thanks for all the info on the posts, but it's a shame to hear about the "new" V2 engines. I'm getting mine installed next week, and now I think I'll be going through this same process in a couple of months. As you all you guys know, this ain't a pleasant situation. Lucky for me this is not my daily driver cuzz it would suck even more. Waiting to hear what "proof" Nissan is going to give regarding the new engine. But folks, we might be waiting for that until the end of time.......
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZLOC06
Well folks, thanks for all the info on the posts, but it's a shame to hear about the "new" V2 engines. I'm getting mine installed next week, and now I think I'll be going through this same process in a couple of months. As you all you guys know, this ain't a pleasant situation. Lucky for me this is not my daily driver cuzz it would suck even more. Waiting to hear what "proof" Nissan is going to give regarding the new engine. But folks, we might be waiting for that until the end of time.......
If possible, I would check to see what the oil level is before leaving the dealership. I have seen some posts, including myself, where it was obvious that the dealer did not fill the oil enough. It is very, very hard to see though when it is a brand new block.

Even though my receipt says they put over 5 qts in it, it was not even close to full.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Riggz

what is considered a qt on the dipstick???

Since my last oil change in may/07 i have driven about 1600miles. When the dealer changes my oil..they put enoough oil so that it lies just a hair above the "H" mark. Now it rests at a hair above the "full" hatched area...where it should normally be if they dont overfill.

Is this considered excess oil consumption???
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Riggz
what is considered a qt on the dipstick???

Since my last oil change in may/07 i have driven about 1600miles. When the dealer changes my oil..they put enoough oil so that it lies just a hair above the "H" mark. Now it rests at a hair above the "full" hatched area...where it should normally be if they dont overfill.

Is this considered excess oil consumption???

If it drops between the two letters H and L, that is about a quart. Well good news is that I am at 7900 miles on the new hand built jobby from Japan with no oil issues...not a drop. (FYI dealer did not fill it up all the way the first time) had me in a panic!!!! Take time and read the proper engine break in thread on here. Basically is says you need to beat up your engine right off the bat to get the piston rings to heat up "FULLY" and seat properly. Driving like a grampa will not do this. I waited 500 miles before I laid into my ride. From that point on I was driving like a bat out of hizzell.

I ran Pensoil regular blend until Tueday August 7th. I switched to Pensoil Platinum Full Synthetic after reading the Oil Analysis thread...challenging read, but worth the effort in the end.

Good luck all, hang in there. I finally, after 3 months of my engine being replaced, I started to get feeling back into my body. It was such a turn off to pay 40K for a boat anchor.

Stay with it and keep reading....

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 08-10-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 AM
ZPHILE

Glad someone's engine seems to be fixed! Thanks for update 4Shizzel. BTW - I was at a quandry about the break-in. Not to cast doubt (Dbasal - much respect) but I thought his hard break-in might have caused his return to oil consumption. Now you, 4Shizzel, say the same - do the 'hard' break-in. I've always did the 'by the book' go easy on the engine as per the service manuals all my life - with good results. I think my 350 is not a super consumer because of this - it was hard for me to even get Nissan to act on my consumption. I'm still wondering about the break-in...........
Old 08-10-2007, 09:26 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
If it drops between the two letters H and L, that is about a quart. Well good news is that I am at 7900 miles on the new hand built jobby from Japan with no oil issues...not a drop. (FYI dealer did not fill it up all the way the first time) had me in a panic!!!! Take time and read the proper engine break in thread on here. Basically is says you need to beat up your engine right off the bat to get the piston rings to heat up "FULLY" and seat properly. Driving like a grampa will not do this. I waited 500 miles before I laid into my ride. From that point on I was driving like a bat out of hizzell.

I ran Pensoil regular belend until Tueday August 7th. I switched to Pensoil Platinum Full Synthetic after reading the Oil Analysis thread...challenging read, but worth the effort in the end.

Good luck all, hang in there. I finally, after 3 months of my engine being replaced, I started to get feeling back into my body. It was such a turn off to pay 40K for a boat anchor.

Stay with it and keep reading....
That oil thread is certainly a good read. It really opens the eyes to things with hard core proof from a lab. I learned a lot from that one.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Glad someone's engine seems to be fixed! Thanks for update 4Shizzel. BTW - I was at a quandry about the break-in. Not to cast doubt (Dbasal - much respect) but I thought his hard break-in might have caused his return to oil consumption. Now you, 4Shizzel, say the same - do the 'hard' break-in. I've always did the 'by the book' go easy on the engine as per the service manuals all my life - with good results. I think my 350 is not a super consumer because of this - it was hard for me to even get Nissan to act on my consumption. I'm still wondering about the break-in...........
HAHA. No problem. Keep in mind though that I did not follow the Mototune method. I just drove like I would normally. That means 90% highways with fun on the entrance ramps and exit of toll booths.

The sad part is that I have only hit the rev limiter twice and that was completely on accident because I was not paying attention trying to merge into traffic. Thought I was in 2nd, but was in 1st.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
ZPHILE

How coincidental! I was just reading the Mototune break-in method! Still learning here (although I've had plenty cars w/break-in's). Still deciding what method to use on the V2 when that happens.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion