Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reality350
I would be able to live that amount of consumption. My v1 would have gone through 4 litres OR MORE, in 3500 km.

Yes, my V1 was using a full quart about every 800 miles. 1/2 quart in 3300 to 3400 miles is a major improvement. If this holds steady or gets even better (new engine only has about 6900 miles), I will be happy.

John
Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by 9kFever
you guys shouldn't be going 3300 if your trying to see if your motor is consumer. I have found that my car will consume about .75 qts in about 700-1000 miles. But then I can check it again at 2000 and it hasn't consumed anymore. Then I have the oil changed and all a sudden its consuming again.

I also had trouble getting phone calls back from my NNA rep. He told me to put 2000 miles on my V2 before he would consider it a failure. I did the 2000 miles and called him back leaving voicemails on what he planned to do as this is motor #3. He wouldn't return my calls so I left the final voicemail letting him know that he had 24 hrs before I lawyer-up. No phone call back and now I have a demand letter from my lawyer on the way.
I am not trying to see if it is a consumer, the V1 WAS a consumer. I checked the new engine (V2) religiously during the first 3750 miles for consumption, and it was slightly more than this, about 2/3 quart at the oil change. I have a life, no offense to all here, but I am not going to be a slave to the dipstick LOL After the first oil change I decided to drive it as it was meant to be driven, and to hell with constant checking. Additionally, I can tell if there is a problem by the way my oil pressure is behaving. The early sign of issues in the V1 was always a drop in presure. I have an unwaivering guage of pressure at idle, full excelleration, and cruising. The car with the V2 never shows weird pressure readings in relation to load. No offense meant by this reply 9Kfever, we are all brothers in consumption :-) but I am getting on with my life while still staying abreast of this issue via this forum. Now if something changes I will be right back here bitching and seeking resolution :-)

John
Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 AM
9kFever

Originally Posted by antennahead
I am not trying to see if it is a consumer, the V1 WAS a consumer. I checked the new engine (V2) religiously during the first 3750 miles for consumption, and it was slightly more than this, about 2/3 quart at the oil change. I have a life, no offense to all here, but I am not going to be a slave to the dipstick LOL After the first oil change I decided to drive it as it was meant to be driven, and to hell with constant checking. Additionally, I can tell if there is a problem by the way my oil pressure is behaving. The early sign of issues in the V1 was always a drop in presure. I have an unwaivering guage of pressure at idle, full excelleration, and cruising. The car with the V2 never shows weird pressure readings in relation to load. No offense meant by this reply 9Kfever, we are all brothers in consumption :-) but I am getting on with my life while still staying abreast of this issue via this forum. Now if something changes I will be right back here bitching and seeking resolution :-)

John
Iys all good man. Glad to hear you car isnt consuming. I am just trying to get this all done now so when my car is out of warranty I wont have to worry about it passing smog or anything like that. There is a good chance I might take an offer from nissan before taking them to court if it is good enough to get my motor built for FI. I sold my Vortech Supercharged s2000 to get into the Z with plans of going FI. Unfortunately those plans were put on hold immediately while Ive dealt with the previous 3 motors. Hopefully this is resolved soon.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:45 AM
9kFever

Yes, my V1 was using a full quart about every 800 miles. 1/2 quart in 3300 to 3400 miles is a major improvement. If this holds steady or gets even better (new engine only has about 6900 miles), I will be happy.

John
My first v1 went through 2 qts every 700
The second v1 went through 2.5 qts every 700
The v2 goes through about .75 qts every 700
Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Ataru074

Additionally, I can tell if there is a problem by the way my oil pressure is behaving.
John
what do you mean with oil pressure behaviour?
mine with "fresh" oil (when the car is warm) is less than 30psi at idle less than 60 cruising and more pushing hard...
with oil close to replacement but still with good level goes at about 20 at idle, still less than 60 cruising and more pushing...

I think it's how should be... was in the same way when was new, it's in the same way after 37K miles... and my oil consumption WAS less that 1/4 between services.
except the last one where I found missing oil.. but still don't know if it was a mistake at the stealership, my track day, or a collapsed ring.... now I filled up and running my personal test. if I have a problem 500 miles will tell me.

I'm still not ready to rebuild the engine... but.. I want a rebuilt NA engine.. so I really don't care so far... pistons and rings are going to be new and cylinders resurfaced.

Matteo
Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by Ataru074
what do you mean with oil pressure behaviour?
mine with "fresh" oil (when the car is warm) is less than 30psi at idle less than 60 cruising and more pushing hard...
with oil close to replacement but still with good level goes at about 20 at idle, still less than 60 cruising and more pushing...

I think it's how should be... was in the same way when was new, it's in the same way after 37K miles... and my oil consumption WAS less that 1/4 between services.
except the last one where I found missing oil.. but still don't know if it was a mistake at the stealership, my track day, or a collapsed ring.... now I filled up and running my personal test. if I have a problem 500 miles will tell me.

I'm still not ready to rebuild the engine... but.. I want a rebuilt NA engine.. so I really don't care so far... pistons and rings are going to be new and cylinders resurfaced.

Matteo
What I meant was my oil pressure stays consistant, the reading at idle, light cruising load, full load ..... with the V2, it is always at the same reading depending on load. With the V1, the minute my oil got to a certain level of low, the pressure would start doing wacky things.

John
Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
sstiglich

I've had the same experience as many here (I haven't read all the posts).

Short version:

2006 Vert MT w/ V1 motor starting consuming from 8 miles on the odometer. Danced with Nissan almost a year on oil consumption, highest they recorded was 1.5 Quarts in 1,000 miles. I saw almost 2 quarts in 1,000 miles.

After getting disgusted with Nissan NA customer service and my dealers lack of ability to get anything done for me, I filed lemon law in my state and with the BBB.

Within 15 Days of NNA recieving all that paperwork i was scheduled for a new engine as a "final repair attempt".

New engine went in December 18th. Per the paperwork it's a V2.

I drove it home, let it cool and checked the oil and noted the level.

I just passed 1,000 miles and checked it again yesterday. Believe it or not, it hasn't moved down. Not one single tick. I can't believe it, it's now like my 2003 (which i've often questioned trading).

So now i've got a great car and the engine is fixed. A great deal for the next owner; I am over Nissan.

Like the previous posters, i could tell things were different:

1. The oil pressure was consistent at idle and not wavering.
2. After a week the chrome tips on my exhaust are now still chrome, not black on the bottom.

Last edited by sstiglich; 01-21-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM
mgnchakar

to whoever had the v2 put in, did the dealership reset the odometer? or were you left with same mileage as before the swap? which is right? thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
jkim1978

nah the odometer was not reset back to zero....
Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 AM
sstiglich

I don't think the dealership under any situation will "roll back" the odometer. The rest of the car (trans, tires, brakes, body, etc) still has the original mileage worth of wear on it.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Agree... Only way to do that is get a brand new Nismo JDM cluster...hmmm

What I'm going to fight about is getting back the 2yr/25K worth of warranty I've lost on the VQ. I already paid for extended when I bought new.
I want my new V2 to have 7/100K when it's put into sevice, not 5/75K that's left on my extended.

Still ahead...another PITA battle with Nissan/Infiniti
Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 PM
creed

Sooo, how does this new engine comapre to the original 06 350Z engine on the 1/4 mile track?

I just heard about all of this a month ago. 2 weeks ago had my oil changed, but before they drained it had them check it; nothing showed up on the stick!

I have just rolled over to 27K miles, drove it off the show room on 2/19/2006

I love my Z, kicks azz...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
ZPHILE

Default I'm Ba-a-a-ck......

Guys,

Dropped out of the post due to frustration and just needed a break from the 'OC crises'. I'm really into my ZR and have been going through what you guys are but just needed a to step back from the post (re-living it again here was no fun for me). Anyway, I'm into my second replacement 'V2'(??). Broke it in the hybrid motoman way (worked it but stayed within 4k revs). Haven't determined if it's a consumer a little or some (know it's not a 'super consumer'). Just really wanted to say this: (This was alluded to by John aka Antennahead) I personally think that there may or may not be V2's being really installed as replacements for V1's. For my first replacement, the dealer/NNA got a 'V2' really fast after consumption was confirmed along with compression test failures. This engine obviously failed OC (though not super consumer - much less than others) and was replaced this early Jan. Note: dealers get paid to do this and are quick to just do the replacement with whatever if the criteria are met, (my second replacement experience). If Zeeforce is still around - I'll put the details here for documentation. BTW - will live with this engine - going to rebuild it in the future. DONE & DONE.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 PM
06CPV35

I know you probably know this by now with your fake V2 experience as first replacement, but the engine replacement number should be on your paperwork. Fake V2 paperwork also, which would confirm exactly what they gave you. V2 ends in MZ for you Z folks. M9 for us G folks. Check your paperwork to be sure your getting correct replacement.

Keep us posted with your current V2. I'm all ears on the hybrid motoman technique. Would like to hear more confirmed results on this method with our VQ's.

ZeeForce is still around. He's catching up with things. Post your V2 status in his needed format. He'll see it

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-23-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
06CPV35

-edit-
Hmmm...server glitch did a double post on this one and can't delete.

Ignore this post.....

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-24-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Youzzi

I have put 1800miles on my V2 since I got it back on 1/4/08 and no oil consumption and the engine feels stronger then the original. On a side note, Nissan is backing out of the $2k but waiving 2 months of payments for me. It wasnt about the money just the fact that I wanted something for having to go through this BS.
All and all, im a pretty happy camper now
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Guys,

Dropped out of the post due to frustration and just needed a break from the 'OC crises'. I'm really into my ZR and have been going through what you guys are but just needed a to step back from the post (re-living it again here was no fun for me). Anyway, I'm into my second replacement 'V2'(??). Broke it in the hybrid motoman way (worked it but stayed within 4k revs). Haven't determined if it's a consumer a little or some (know it's not a 'super consumer'). Just really wanted to say this: (This was alluded to by John aka Antennahead) I personally think that there may or may not be V2's being really installed as replacements for V1's. For my first replacement, the dealer/NNA got a 'V2' really fast after consumption was confirmed along with compression test failures. This engine obviously failed OC (though not super consumer - much less than others) and was replaced this early Jan. Note: dealers get paid to do this and are quick to just do the replacement with whatever if the criteria are met, (my second replacement experience). If Zeeforce is still around - I'll put the details here for documentation. BTW - will live with this engine - going to rebuild it in the future. DONE & DONE.
I know the feeling. I had stepped back for some time too, but once my V2 started showing significant consumption, I came back here.

You're also spot on about the dealer wanting to replace it to get the money. My dealer was quick to get the engine replaced and set me up for an appointment, even though I told them I would not allow them to replace it since the initial replacement was a final repair attempt. That is not a complaint about my current dealer, but makes one wonder why a dealer would lie so bad as my first one did.

One thing that has not changed with time is Nissan Customer Service (Consumer Affairs). Still would rather stab myself in the eye with an icepick.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 PM
ZeeForce

Default V2 Install Stats List

Guys, I am looking for some stats on your new engines. The first page has the template to use when posting your stats. Some have used the template, mucho thanks, and it really does make it easier for me to capture the data if the template is used.

Recently I have seen stats posted up without all of the data, and it occurred to me that maybe I made it a tad too difficult to read the chart and understand the template for posting stats. Therefore I am resorting to private messages to the members on the current list that may not visit here too often if at all anymore. And the new members that recently received engine replacements.

Here is the list of members old and new with some valuable data that could help this thread by having all the stats in one place for reference.

Creation2 – template used, thanks
dbasal – received your stats, not sure if I got it correct, please verify when I post up the updated chart.
ZLOC06
Calin
ROGERD
Rob D
BabyZilla
Youzzi
Reality350
Tuckand Twist – template used, thanks
camaross
luvZcar – updated, thanks
antennahead – not sure if I got the data correct
sstiglich
Zphile

I will be sending PM’ to the above folks with definitions of the template, therefore I am not wasting space on this thread, going back and forth to get all of the data with accuracy. In this PM will be detailed explanations for each of the items on the template. I will start with these members and if it is well received and demystifies the template and Stats List, then I will follow up with other members on the list. I am taking this approach as maybe a one on one offline chat may put more folks at ease discussing something that could be perceived as confusing.

Creation2, dbasal, Tuckand Twist, luvZcar, will be receiving the PM, take a look at it and see if makes sense. Thanks again for using the template.

Again, I am testing my PM with definitions of the template, if it is a success, I will share with the rest here. Bare with me, I do not want to post up something that may confuse everyone; therefore the guys above are my testers. There are some old and some new, a good mix to see if the chart is understandable.

-Curtis
Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by dbasal
One thing that has not changed with time is Nissan Customer Service (Consumer Affairs). Still would rather stab myself in the eye with an icepick.

Too True! (Zphile laughs interspersed with fierce anger toward NNA.)

Originally Posted by 06CPV35

ZeeForce is still around. He's catching up with things. Post your V2 status in his needed format. He'll see it
Thanks for the reply. BTW - got Curtis' PM. I'll get the details and will update tomorrow after going through my paper work - waiting on the final install W/O - being sent. Pretty sure that the engines were the MZ types (aka V2's).
Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM
luvZcar

Oil Consumption:0mm
Engine Install Date:12/05/07
Engine part number:10102-ac7mz
Mileage on Engine:801
Mileage on current oil change interval:801
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:nissan dino 10w 30
so far so good/still pending
hope this helps anyone ,its pretty straight foward
UPDATED INFO FOR ZEEFORCE, THANKS AGAIN

Last edited by luvZcar; 01-25-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion