Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
ROGERD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the new engine installed in my 06. Visted dealer after having engine previously replaced. They installed the old version the first time. I continued high oil use after change out. When new protocol and bulletin came out went to a different dealer. They did the oil check per the new protocol and ordered a new engine. Took the car in early Tuesday AM and picked it up with new version of engine installed this evening. Dealer did a great job! Looking forward to little oil useage. I guess it should work after two new engines.

Last edited by ROGERD; 01-10-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
ROGERD

Default 2nd new engine in my 06 Z

Just had the new engine installed in my 06. Vsisted dealer after having engine previously replaced. The did the oil check per the new protocol and ordered a new engine. Took the card in early Tuesday AM and picked it up with new version of engine installed this evening. Dealer did a great job! Looking forward to little oil useage.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
sumo1869

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
I understand. Me personally. Im at the end of my ropes with them. I have no sympathy or respect left so the gloves are off so to speak.
It is quite a frustrating situation to be in. In the back of my head a little voice is saying "Why did you get rid of your 2000 Infiniti G20? That car/engine was bulletproof and only had 65k miles on it." Oh well. I think I'm a bit less frustrated than most because I've only had the car since the end of July and only put about 3500 miles on it. Plus I haven't had to argue with anyone to get the process rolling.

I told my Dad what was going on and he was quite surprised. He's got an '03 Vette, an '05 Mustang, an '06 Titan, and a '97 Wrangler. He said he'd expect his American made cars to have problems before my Nissan. Heh.

Good luck to you. I hope things turn out well for both of us. If not I may have to consider a different car and I don't see anything out there that I can afford that I actually want. The Audi S5 is a bit out of my price range so I'm hoping the Z will get fixed.

-Sumo
Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by sumo1869
It is quite a frustrating situation to be in. In the back of my head a little voice is saying "Why did you get rid of your 2000 Infiniti G20? That car/engine was bulletproof and only had 65k miles on it." Oh well. I think I'm a bit less frustrated than most because I've only had the car since the end of July and only put about 3500 miles on it. Plus I haven't had to argue with anyone to get the process rolling.

I told my Dad what was going on and he was quite surprised. He's got an '03 Vette, an '05 Mustang, an '06 Titan, and a '97 Wrangler. He said he'd expect his American made cars to have problems before my Nissan. Heh.

Good luck to you. I hope things turn out well for both of us. If not I may have to consider a different car and I don't see anything out there that I can afford that I actually want. The Audi S5 is a bit out of my price range so I'm hoping the Z will get fixed.

-Sumo
Thanks mate. I wish i could approach the situation as level headed as yourself. My new battle is for them to just give me the money for the engine. Im not going to wait for a billion dollar company to spend 3 years TRYING to fix an engine. Give me the money, i'll build it and do it right.

I was going to build the engine out of my pocket. But if i do that I feel like im losing. Im giving in. And i don't want Nissan to get off that easy.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
sumo1869

Thanks mate. I wish i could approach the situation as level headed as yourself. My new battle is for them to just give me the money for the engine. Im not going to wait for a billion dollar company to spend 3 years TRYING to fix an engine. Give me the money, i'll build it and do it right.

I was going to build the engine out of my pocket. But if i do that I feel like im losing. Im giving in. And i don't want Nissan to get off that easy.
Anytime, man. I agree, a company like Nissan shouldn't have to 'try' to fix this. I mean we all aren't driving Chryslers for crying out loud.

Good luck with your fight. Let me know what happens and I'll do the same.

By the way, I see you are from Canada. Great Country! At my previous job I did a lot of work in Toronto, Waterloo, Edmonton, and Calgary. I loved driving down from Edmonton to Calgary and passing Medicine Hat. Best town name ever. Not sure if it's still there but Edmonton had this bar called The Sherlock Holmes. They had the best chicken wings I ever had. That might have been influenced by the amount of beer I had drank there too. Ya never know.

-Sumo
Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Youzzi

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Yes good reminder about the NHTSA.
Posted that awhile back on here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=1954

And created a seperate thread about it too prior to Nissans TSB release:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/316200-owners-of-vq-oil-consumption.html
Haven't bumped it for awhile being you guys got that TSB, but with more V2 failures, guess filing should continue with NHTSA.
No TSB for us Infiniti folks yet.

Filed a complaint with NHTSA and BBB. My car is now in working order but they are declining to give me a new Z or the 2000 as promised before and the Nissan rep will not return my calls now! Screw Nissan! Now the gloves are off and Im pissed!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Youzzi
Filed a complaint with NHTSA and BBB. My car is now in working order but they are declining to give me a new Z or the 2000 as promised before and the Nissan rep will not return my calls now! Screw Nissan! Now the gloves are off and Im pissed!
Was that agreement in writing? If so BBB should be able to help you I'd think. If not you're SOL on that agreement.
Sorry to hear Nissan yanking your chain. Shame on you Nissan
They yanking my chain too with no TSB for Infiniti G35's
Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 PM
06CPV35

Just got my UOA analysis. Proof of blow-by, major fuel dilution, elevated chromium (ring wear), cylinder wall wear (forget the metal that indicates that), moly through the roof (piston and ring wear too. Our pistons are moly coated from factory btw) and bad combustion efficiency (all the BS cooked in my combustion chamber and no doubt plugs from consumption) and my VQ only has moderate OC

Can't imagine what a VQ with serious OC issues must look like internally and what's in the oil. Oh yeah, my Amsoil S2000 0w-30 sheared to a 20wt under 5K. The Tribologist has never seen Amsoil become so thrashed in such little time. In fact never this thrashed ever. And bc I had to add a quart during the service interval, the numbers are prob better than actual condition.

Well now I have more proof my VQ is defective above Infiniti's still current replacement standard of 1qt/1000mi or worse.

But I'm reaching a point of 'why bother' when the V2 is showing more failures to OC issues. Two years, no 100% cure, BS agreements, long resolution process, no TSB from Infiniti, no recall...about to throw the towel in ppl and say screw this BS and trade her in for something non-Nissan and get on with my life.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-11-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 PM
cbr900son

Bleh gonna drive mine till it goes out then just build my motor i guess.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 AM
06CPV35

Exclamation Infiniti OC TSB Released

Well, just found out Infiniti jumped on the TSB bandwagon for us G35 folks.

Still with the V2 replacemnet, so no V3 as rumored.
It's interesting how Infiniti stresses the break-in proceedure. Something I didn't see on the 350Z TSB.

Here it is folks:

ITB08-002 G35 OC TSB.pdf
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 PM
luvZcar

Originally Posted by Youzzi
this same crap happened to me, they promised money and then said that because I had ask for an extended warranty i was not going to be happy anyway so why should they try, nissan reps screw them, my dealership took good care of me though everytime and I'm on motor #3
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 AM
TuckandTwist

Default Update on my '04 350Z

Nissan replaced my 2004 350Z engine in late October 07.

Here's another update on OC:
So Far So Good – No oil usage after 2,000 miles
OC: 0 Quarts per 1,000 miles
Engine Install Date: 10-2007
Mileage on Engine: 2,000
Type/Brand/Weight: Mobile 5W-30
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by TuckandTwist
Nissan replaced my 2004 350Z engine in late October 07.

Here's another update on OC:
So Far So Good – No oil usage after 2,000 miles
OC: 0 Quarts per 1,000 miles
Engine Install Date: 10-2007
Mileage on Engine: 2,000
Type/Brand/Weight: Mobile 5W-30
What break in procedure did you use?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:54 PM
TuckandTwist

What break in procedure did you use?
I have used this basic procedure on nearly every new engine I've ever owned and I have never had any issues. Break em in hard - but never over rev.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 01-13-2008, 12:56 PM
TuckandTwist

In other words ... I have been driving the sh#t out of it for two months.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM
06CPV35

^ Interesting link and like what I read. Thanks.
Question tho...what rpm limit did you use on break-in as to not over rev it?
Nissan/Infiniti states not over 4 grand for first 1200mi. What rpm limit did you use?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:31 PM
TuckandTwist

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^ Interesting link and like what I read. Thanks.
Question tho...what rpm limit did you use on break-in as to not over rev it?
Nissan/Infiniti states not over 4 grand for first 1200mi. What rpm limit did you use?
I have not exceeded the 6,600 stated in my manual.

I ignored the manufacturer breakin procedure and followed Motoman's procedure starting the day I picked it up after having received the new engine. On the drive home I took it through the countryside for 45 minutes working it through the gears at a rather spirited pace gradually getting her up to redline by 20 minutes into the drive. The motor feels very strong and runs very well.

It has consumed less than an 1/8 quart of oil in 2,000 miles on the new engine. I am crossing my fingers that this one will hold up better and not begin consuming like the other one (almost 1 quart in 500 miles).
Old 01-13-2008, 04:47 PM
camaross

Default New Long Block

Greetings,

Had a new long block installed 1/9/08, ver.2 model at 14930 miles.

Dealership has been very good to me, gave me a new Titan to drive during repair. After a couple of days I figured I better check the oil level myself to get my own benchmark. The level is 10mm low. They really should make sure that the level is on the money before it leaves the shop. I am supposed to bring it back in 1000 miles for oil level check. I will keep the RPM's at no more than 4000. Engine seems smooth and powerful and clutch operation seems more linear also than before. Here's hoping for a happy ending.

Will post results of oil level check...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by TuckandTwist
I have not exceeded the 6,600 stated in my manual.

I ignored the manufacturer breakin procedure and followed Motoman's procedure starting the day I picked it up after having received the new engine. On the drive home I took it through the countryside for 45 minutes working it through the gears at a rather spirited pace gradually getting her up to redline by 20 minutes into the drive. The motor feels very strong and runs very well.

It has consumed less than an 1/8 quart of oil in 2,000 miles on the new engine. I am crossing my fingers that this one will hold up better and not begin consuming like the other one (almost 1 quart in 500 miles).
Thank you.
I agree with Motoman's take on Synth too. Known that for years.

What's interesting is when mine was new (92mi on odo) I broke mine in somewhat spirited and didn't go over 4k on rpm with no long fwy runs.
When I had to be on fwy, I varied the rpm running in different gears under normal cruising load.
A few times I couldn't help myself with WOT and close to 6500 on some local twisties.

With that said, my VQ has been a moderate OC engine at 1qt/23-2500mi.
But who knows what the first 92 miles were like. Prob too late by then to break it in hard and seal rings correctly from the get go.
Oh, didn't change break-in oil until 3750mi I dropped the ball on that one

Keep us posted on the continuing health of your V2.
I'm all ears on this subject now.
Originally Posted by camaross
Greetings,

Had a new long block installed 1/9/08, ver.2 model at 14930 miles.

Dealership has been very good to me, gave me a new Titan to drive during repair. After a couple of days I figured I better check the oil level myself to get my own benchmark. The level is 10mm low. They really should make sure that the level is on the money before it leaves the shop. I am supposed to bring it back in 1000 miles for oil level check. I will keep the RPM's at no more than 4000. Engine seems smooth and powerful and clutch operation seems more linear also than before. Here's hoping for a happy ending.

Will post results of oil level check...
Keep us posted as well.
You read my break-in on my oem factory and it's results.

This is a good twist in discussion and the success or failure of these V2's.
Hopefully more members will chime in with their break-in along with their current V2 health.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 PM
zyou8er

so pretty much most 06 350z are haveing the oil consumption or is it just some models like the track, base, and and touring

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion