Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
fast kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i mean.. dont get me wrong.. if it fix's the problem then no worrys.... So long as it fix's the problem..
Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Noone knows if a V3 is even in the works. It's speculation. I think where all HOPING there is one.
I cannot see Nissan spending more time and resources troubleshooting this problem. It only applies to a select few cars (35th anniv mt, 06mt) and they've already released a revised engine.

While I'd also hope to see a "better" engine than the v2, the fact is that some v2 owners have experienced no oil consumption. It's in Nissan's best interest to keep producting v2s, changing out v2s that consume oil with another v2.

It's stupid but that's as far as I can see this going. If they ignore the problem long enough the cars will be off the road and it will no longer be an issue.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
ke0ki2k

dropped off my car to get the V2 yesterday.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
fast kiwi

Do you get an extened warranty for the new engine?? ^^
Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noone knows if a V3 is even in the works. It's speculation. I think where all HOPING there is one.
Agree...it's been speculated for a long time. If there's ever an updated TSB with a new long block part number, then could safely assume it's a V3.
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I cannot see Nissan spending more time and resources troubleshooting this problem. It only applies to a select few cars (35th anniv mt, 06mt) and they've already released a revised engine.

While I'd also hope to see a "better" engine than the v2, the fact is that some v2 owners have experienced no oil consumption. It's in Nissan's best interest to keep producting v2s, changing out v2s that consume oil with another v2.

It's stupid but that's as far as I can see this going. If they ignore the problem long enough the cars will be off the road and it will no longer be an issue.
This OC issue also applies to 05-07 G35 coupes with 6mt and 05-06 G35 sedans with 6mt.

This is NNA's second replacement version. There were problems with the first replacements prior to the V2's June/July 07 release of which not to forget, some were successful too. Same situation seems to be with the current V2's.

Hopefully NNA is sees the V2 as they did with first replacement version and is working on a 3rd.

Know one V2 personally as a failure and two personally of being successful. Also personally one oem factory revup no OC issues. Read many success too, yes failures as well. So with that said, I'm a optimist rather than a pessimist and have positive hopes that my first V2 will be a success, rather than a failure before I even get one.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:10 PM
ZeeForce

Success here, I could not have asked for a better V2 with the break in I am following from the advise of a non disclosed source. It's a great feeling to know that my internal components are wearing in and sealing properly, this coming from scientific testing. As mentioned previously a _ _ _ is invaluble information.

And as 06CPV35 mentioned earlier, it deserves repeating.

Sorry but this isn't valuable information at all. It's just one more man opinion on a subject with no proof.
Theres successful V2's that have used Motoman's breakin method too. And that is bagging the sh*t out of it from Day 1.
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
There's proof, professional scientific proof. I know a lot more than you give me credit for
Yes my opinion and a professionals (did you miss that part in my post)...accept it or not, but don't refer to what I stated as not valuable.

Your second para...I'll bet you a cookie any engine will fail later on down the road prematurely if you beat the crap out of it continually, especially from day 1.
Yes again my opinion and a professionals...again accept that or not. Not valuable info, I disagree.
Care for a gentleman's bet on that one? We'll talk 10, 20, maybe 40K if it makes it that long with that treatment.

Did you not understand my mention of an UOA being your friend. Guess that wasn't valuable info either
Without one in hand (meaning a UOA), no one knows their **** from a hole in the ground as far as what's really going on with their VQ internally and why. Sheez...amatures.

The smart ones will know later on here whether to accept what I've said as valuable.

G/L to you in what you wish to feel as valuable info here or not. Wish you the best my Z cousin.

06CPV35, ^^ +1 +1

I do not think you could have made it any simpler than this ^^^ ……. UOA’s by scientists = scientific proof = valuable information.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by RBlover69
no doubt, what the other poster didnt know was i was was of the first with the v-2 aswell.

Nothing is guarenteed with anything really, oil consumption can stem for so many reasons with this engine because of the changes made to it but im glad that using this ow40 in conjunction with my driving style i been virtually consumption free.

I also recommend letting the car sit for 15 mins before checking oil readings. when i first got my v-2 i would flip because i thought the oil was down again. After i let the car sit for 10 mins i rechecked and found that oil back at H. Looks like oil circulation maybey ? I believe its just either the vacum in this engine or the break in process opon letting the engine seat properely because i did baby mine in the beginning i mean it never saw 4k for months. Then after my 4th oil change of 0w40 i started to get on it. And no test since my first have i seen any decreasment.

Remember these engines are quiet robust NA wise but i believe with our issue a proper break in maybey it or driving style. i do drive 26 miles a day so i dunno why some have a solution some dont there the same handbuilt engine.

But one things for sure

this engine is more powerfull then my v1. Me and one of my good friends with a HR race eachother and she noticed the change aswell.
Even though there is no modifications that would alter power in this v-2 besides slightly modified pistons codes and rings. This engine has shown to be more livily in racing her and is noticable.

Dont ask me how what where..im just telling you before i used to get beat by car lengths with my v-1 ...and now im at her door. same car same place different races all stock except since then she got a exhaust so for me to be anywhere near her is a feat.
I was really surprised im confident that with a 1/2 spacer and mrev2 with my exhaust and hi flos i should be able to beat her no prob. and trust it will be vid for the mass.

gotta represent revups.

^ I would be willing to split the cost with you on an UAO.

With your break-in procedure and the amount of miles on the engine >10k, this engine would make a very good candidate. My interest in your engine and the UOA is to see what a V2 with >10k mi with your break-in procedure is looking like on the internals and sealed components which only a UOA guarantees, of what is, the cause and effect of oil consumption.

It’s with the break-in and driving habits during the first xx-xxk miles to properly seal the components. There are other factors with OC and one of them has to do with fuel dilution, which a UOA is the only scientific method to determine the amount of containments in the oil.

The offer stands $30 = ½ the price of a detailed UOA. It would be a great contribution to the members here that are interested in a scientific analysis of a V2.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:25 AM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Success here, I could not have asked for a better V2 with the break in I am following from the advise of a non disclosed source. It's a great feeling to know that my internal components are wearing in and sealing properly, this coming from scientific testing.
"It's a great feeling??" I'd like to see your success after 36k or 60k miles on the V2 - I'd be willing to wager it WILL be consuming more than Nissan's TSB scale even with your approach to break-in - if it's not already. What is your mm after 1,000??

UAO = crystal ball

eyeball on dip stick after 1,000mi = fact

No motor should be consuming like the V1 and V2

How much has Nissan paid you?? Did you take the $4,500????

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZPimp
"It's a great feeling??" I'd like to see your success after 36k or 60k miles on the V2 - I'd be willing to wager it WILL be consuming more than Nissan's TSB scale even with your approach to break-in - if it's not already. What is your mm after 1,000??

UAO = crystal ball

eyeball on dip stick after 1,000mi = fact

No motor should be consuming like the V1 and V2

How much has Nissan paid you?? Did you take the $4,500????
-first highlight-
Disagree. So you can tell what's in the oil by looking at it? And what corrective measures could be done to improve any ill conditions if present?
Sorry UOA's are not crystal *****.
Go to here...https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html
And educate yourself on the value and concept of that scientific method.

-second highlight-
And many oem, V1 and V2's don't and that's a fact.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 AM
fast kiwi

This is great stuff guys.. I like hearing both sides of the issue..
learning lots in such a short period of time..
Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
-first highlight-
Disagree. So you can tell what's in the oil by looking at it? And what corrective measures could be done to improve any ill conditions if present?
Sorry UOA's are not crystal *****.
Go to here...https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258663
And educate yourself on the value and concept of that scientific method.

-second highlight-
And many oem, V1 and V2's don't and that's a fact.
First point (UOA) - Okay I'm exagerating to get my point across. I understand it's a science and the value of it. Best way to understand OC is to look at the dipstick with the naked eye, the same way the TSB instructs dealers to do it - by loss in mm. Go right ahead and pay for UOA and compression tests which will definately indicate there's a problem or not - and yes if compression is low and UOA shows ring and cylinder wear, yes, it's probably related to the FLAW in these motors - OC and blowby is another clear indicator of the problem you and I and everyone can test on their own.

Second point - right but wrong. No dah not all V1s and V2s consume excessively but there should be NO V1s or V2s consuming as we are seeing and to this degree. The '06 automatic doesn't - just look at their tail pipes. Shame on Nissan for not getting it right.

Did you also take the money? I hope you're not sold out.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by fast kiwi
Yeah, i mean.. dont get me wrong.. if it fix's the problem then no worrys.... So long as it fix's the problem..
It's NOT a good fix with all the V2 failures on this thread and I'm one of them.

What do all you sceptics think that we're all making up stories or what? Maybe we aren't good sources, hmm. Afterall we are 'man' (whatever that means).

Go right ahead and believe you're V2 is a fix at 10k miles. Look how many V1 owners started consuming at 15k, 32k, and remember one or two clocked in at over 50k. You take chances but I'd be paranoid checking my oil constantly. Maybe do some oil analysis samples. Almost forgot to mention compression tests - that's a good indictor. When does all your testing stop? What the hay! Do you realize what you're doing?

I know some of you took the money based on your failure to admit it, and now you're stuck with a piece of crap or paranoid about when it may fail. If that's the case you may want to sell your vehicle and invest in an '07 or '08 - Nissan knew damn well the rev up which only lasted 1 1/2 years needed a complete redesign for '07. It's a lemon.

Nissan wants to give you a mezzly $4,500 and have you sign your lemon law rights away. Smart on their part. Afterall, odds are after you take the money you'll be silent or sell the car yourself. If you sell it, Nissan won't hear your complaints anymore or pay for more visits and repairs - plus they won't have to pay the dealer to process and resell your buyback, which costs them out the wazzoo and is something they have to disclose by law when the resell the vehicle that it was a buyback and with no warranty.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 PM
ZPimp

When Nissan called me back regarding my buyback and the first thing they say is "our offer to you is this: $4,500 and you sign a statement you won't buyback". It was dead silent for about 5 seconds before I said no way - thinking I'm going to Norman the lemon law attorney as the next step. Then the guy says, "Ok, Nissan would now like to give you another offer: buyback and refund your car."

I was shocked at the way they made me believe the first offer was their best and final offer and I had no other option.

They will employ every legal tactic under the sun to get out from under the jam their in!

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
ZPimp

For most of you my advice is to do exactly what Nissan doesn't want you to do - but they have to under the lemon law (in all 50 states) - and that is decline their $4,500 and take the refund.

Just call NNA and say you want them to buyback your vehicle and in 30 days they have to respond. If they don't or give you a hard time about there were not enough repair attempts (that's bs) call Norman and he'll get your money quick.

It's a great feeling..

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 PM
jaxredz

I pick up my car monday with a new V2. This thread really has me worried that my OC won't be fixed with this new engine. A coworker bought an 06MT same time as me -early 06 and has never had any OC. His "break-in consisted of immediately after picking up the car he went on a 300mile trip keeping speed at 70mph....then the next day he returned that same 300miles at 70mph. Maybe that 600 miles of constant 70mph with occaisonal stops for gas and food was an "ideal" engine break-in. If my OC continues with the new V2 I have a new strategy. My parents have very good friends they have known for 35yrs. In fact 35years ago they lived across the street from us. Their son who I knew 35yrs ago is an Exec Vice President for Nissan worldwide...not NNA....in fact he reports to the Chairman Goshan. His mother has provided me his cell number. I will be talking to him if my new V2 has OC....
Old 03-08-2008, 12:37 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by jaxredz
I pick up my car monday with a new V2. This thread really has me worried that my OC won't be fixed with this new engine. A coworker bought an 06MT same time as me -early 06 and has never had any OC. His "break-in consisted of immediately after picking up the car he went on a 300mile trip keeping speed at 70mph....then the next day he returned that same 300miles at 70mph. Maybe that 600 miles of constant 70mph with occaisonal stops for gas and food was an "ideal" engine break-in. If my OC continues with the new V2 I have a new strategy. My parents have very good friends they have known for 35yrs. In fact 35years ago they lived across the street from us. Their son who I knew 35yrs ago is an Exec Vice President for Nissan worldwide...not NNA....in fact he reports to the Chairman Goshan. His mother has provided me his cell number. I will be talking to him if my new V2 has OC....
Maybe he knows of a V3?

Break-in is a guess and from what we've seen success and failure is not based on any one style of break-in. I broke all three of my motors in per the manual "break-in procedure" - which states during the first 1,200 miles (which is what Nissan considers the break-in period) no quick accelleration, kept it under 4,000 rpm, etc.

Others have slammed their car from the start and haven't got OC.

This is a throw of the dice situation and I lost 2 in a row. I would at least get a 100k warranty with that V2.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
dropped off my car to get the V2 yesterday.
If you plan to keep that V2, I would call NNA now and insist on a 100k warranty without conditions - do not sign away your legal rights.

Then check that oil religously - this V2 is not a fix for everyone. Fact is just like the V1 it's a throw of the dice.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 PM
ZPimp

I can't wait for that refund check!! Ye-ha! Check's in the mail!!

That check is gonna be so big, as Clint Eastwood said, "I lost count in all of the exCITEment!" Man this is exciting!

Yes, I'm being obnoxious.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:01 PM
ZPimp

Want to know you much you stand to gain with lemon law buyback? Get a calculator - here's the law:

Enter your mileage when it started consuming divided (/) by 120,000, times (X) the price you paid for the car (not including tax license - usually this is the sticker price). This is your "mileage cost".

Subtract your "mileage cost" from the price you paid for the car = REFUND AMOUNT!

You may be shocked at how much you're missing out on. Then call NNA 800-647-7261 and demand your money! Use your legal rights! Don't get ripped anymore!!! It's YOUR money!!!!

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 PM
ZPimp

Here's how easy it was for me - didn't cost me a thing in attorney fees or time:

- picked up the phone and called NNA 800-647-7261 demanding a buyback decision. NNA rep then obtains all of the dealer documents - you don't need to.

- < 30 days later when NNA called I refused the first offer of $4,500 took the second offer for full refund and then faxed 2 documents to them (copy of registration and sales document) that's all.

No more time consuming endless visits to the dealer for oil consumption tests or frenzied checking of oil anymore or the paranoia that comes with it.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-08-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion