Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
ZPimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jason350z
they called me today and basically said it was too soon for a buy back, since i have had only one engine replaced about a month ego . but hey its burning oils all ready. they said along with what the dealer said to wait till the engine break in.

how many engines did you have replaced before you called them to get a buy back also how many miles did you have when you call them?
I had about 2,500 miles on my first V2 and was just starting my first OC test with the dealer when I had enough and insisted they open a case to buyback. The rep argued with me to continue til the OC test was finished but I insisted and they started the buyback 30 day clock. Hold Nissan to their own breakin - its only 1,200 miles per the manual. I drove 1k past the breakin and reported to the dealer an OC of about 1qt per the 1k.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:54 PM
ZPimp

If NNA doesn't comply then I would get Norman the Lemon Law attorney mention in this thread. He's faster than dealing direct with NNA and the cost is $200-$300 which I believe is taken from the settlement and he says every time u go to the dealer is an attemped fix.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM
jason350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he said he only does cases of cars bought in cali.
o man this is stressing me way too much. maybe they give me 10k i'll go gtm have them build me a long block and turbo charge it.

Last edited by jason350z; 03-05-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
accordhybrid

I just got a call from back from Norman today. My V2 is already burning oil at 1500 miles. I will talk to Norman and see what he suggest.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 AM
fast kiwi

My 35th anny as of yesterday is undergoing the TSB.. By the looks of the chart showen on the first page it doesnt look good for car..
I had about 2000 miles on and burned approx 15-16mm of oil.. I was told to drive it between 1500-2000 miles again (or next 3 month service) and bring it back in to look at. I'm torn coz i was thinking about selling the car but if i end up with a new engine ill probly keep her.. Very sad day...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by fast kiwi
My 35th anny as of yesterday is undergoing the TSB.. By the looks of the chart showen on the first page it doesnt look good for car..
I had about 2000 miles on and burned approx 15-16mm of oil.. I was told to drive it between 1500-2000 miles again (or next 3 month service) and bring it back in to look at. I'm torn coz i was thinking about selling the car but if i end up with a new engine ill probly keep her.. Very sad day...
Sorry to say but the new engine should not be incentive to keep the car. There's more V2's failing than V1's.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Sorry to say but the new engine should not be incentive to keep the car. There's more V2's failing than V1's.
That's a pretty bold statement.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Not really. I guarntee not every 2006 sold has had oil consumtption. Yet look at the amount of V2's that have failed vs fixed the issue.

Its a landslide.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:05 AM
fast kiwi

wow, wish i'd of follwed this V2 news a little better..
Is there plans for a re-re-vised V3?? lol
Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM
ZPimp

wow, wish i'd of follwed this V2 news a little better..
Is there plans for a re-re-vised V3?? lol
Nissan is hush about V3 as they were before the V2. Rumor was they were not planning a V3 but with this landslide they stand to lose more revenue (build it right & please customers vs. continued V2 failures & buybacks).
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM
ZPimp

Have you read this thread??
Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by ZPimp
lol
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPimp
Yes, I've read this entire thread and I have a v2 that's going in on Monday.

There are more v1's out on the road than v2s. Even if every single v2 failed, they would still dwarf the numbers of "bad" v1s.

.. and that's just on a pure numbers standpoint. If you want to talk about ratio of good:bad rev-up motors, we wouldn't even be able to venture a guess of how exponential the defference is because noone really knows how many bad undiagnosed v1's there are floating around out there in the wild.

I'd venture to say that most people who have oil-consuming v1s don't even know it because they aren't "car people" (read: rich people who use the z as a weekend car and do not know how to change, let alone check, the oil).
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM
BabyZiLLa

I'd venture to say that most people who have oil-consuming v1s don't even know it because they aren't "car people" (read: rich people who use the z as a weekend car and do not know how to change, let alone check, the oil).
Definately agree with that. Which is probably why Nissan isn't feeling the pressure that they should to resolve it. So many people just don't know any better.

My V1 is going in this weekend to be dyno'd stock. Also doing a leakdown and compression test.

Then after breakin I will do the same with the V2. If im getting good compression numbers out of it I'll know its not the rings.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 AM
ZPimp

Yes, I've read this entire thread and I have a v2 that's going in on Monday.

There are more v1's out on the road than v2s. Even if every single v2 failed, they would still dwarf the numbers of "bad" v1s.

.. and that's just on a pure numbers standpoint. If you want to talk about ratio of good:bad rev-up motors, we wouldn't even be able to venture a guess of how exponential the defference is because noone really knows how many bad undiagnosed v1's there are floating around out there in the wild.

You're absolutely right - the V1 epidemic worldwide you know is huge but folks don't report it on this thread. Lately there are more V2s reported as failing (on this thread) than V1s - that's what I'm getting at. It's not good for Nissan to not get it right the second time and that's disturbing V2 owners.

Based on the percentage of V2 failures (on this thread alone) the V2 is not a good reason to keep your car - there needs to be a real fix and quick or the epidemic of V2s will continue to spread as it has just begun.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:51 AM
ZPimp

Definately agree with that. Which is probably why Nissan isn't feeling the pressure that they should to resolve it. So many people just don't know any better.

My V1 is going in this weekend to be dyno'd stock. Also doing a leakdown and compression test.

Then after breakin I will do the same with the V2. If im getting good compression numbers out of it I'll know its not the rings.
My second V2 has all that extra mid-range torque back in it like the first V2 had before it started consuming excessively. I'd love to do a comparison of compression and dyno at 1,200 miles (when it's strong) and then after OC sets in and all the internals (rings, bearings, etc.) start breaking down. It won't happen here because Nissan has agreed to buyback but I'm sure they're testing my failed V2 in Japan for compression and everything else. If they don't figure it out and come out with a V3 it's going to cost them. They spent approx. $30k in new motors and parts for my vehicle and now they'll have to resell it and someone else can check the oil and bring it back to the dealer for more repairs - what a mess.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 AM
fast kiwi

I only ever spent min looking over this thread.. safe to say i'll be watching this thread VERY closly now..

I'll be sure to mention the whole V3 thing to my dealer (who have been excelant about the whole thing) when i next go in.. have no idea what the deal is yet but we'll see..
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 AM
BabyZiLLa

I only ever spent min looking over this thread.. safe to say i'll be watching this thread VERY closly now..

I'll be sure to mention the whole V3 thing to my dealer (who have been excelant about the whole thing) when i next go in.. have no idea what the deal is yet but we'll see..
Noone knows if a V3 is even in the works. It's speculation. I think where all HOPING there is one.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM
fast kiwi

Hopes all i got right now so ill go with that.. I work for BMW so i know how the system works.. fix it, or pay me..
Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 AM
BabyZiLLa

Hopes all i got right now so ill go with that.. I work for BMW so i know how the system works.. fix it, or pay me..
Trust me mate.. We all feel the same. I'm chalking my V2 up as a loss before it even goes in.. Who knows. Maybe it'll suprise me.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion