Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:59 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luvZcar
Zeeforce I will update you at 1k miles via pm,hows things with you been?
Doing well, thanks, sounds like your V2 is breaking-in well, send an update when you can.

Originally Posted by JoeyFyed
V1 - 10102-AC7MA - 28mm low in 1228miles.
V2 - 10102-AC7MZ - 1st O.C Test @ 13mm low in 896miles.
- 2nd final O.C test, still got 700miles left to go.
Thanks for the update, this is the best I can gather from your data.

Is this what you would like posted?

Oil Consumption: 13 mm
Engine Install Date: xxxxx
Engine part number: 10102-AC7MZ
Mileage on Engine: 896
Mileage on current oil change interval: 896
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: xxxxxx

At your service
-Curtis
Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
HKILP7M8

When you get a new engine, does your odometer go back to zero?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:35 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by HKILP7M8
Is that a serious question? Of course not.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 PM
jason350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a quick question.
what is the cause of oil consumption in the v1 and v2. is the problem in the rings or something else?

sorry but this thread its getting too long go through 142pgs
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by jason350z
just a quick question.
what is the cause of oil consumption in the v1 and v2. is the problem in the rings or something else?

sorry but this thread its getting too long go through 142pgs
Thats a matter of opinion here My service manager told me that the
new V2 motor that was installed on my car had "taller" pistons and upgraded piston rings.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 AM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by HKILP7M8
First off, welcome to the OC thread, I see from your sig you have a 06 SS.

Good question, as it would only seem fair.....imo…..that we should get the odometer reset to zero. Unfortunately Nissan has not given this to anyone here that I know of. I would suggest working with Nissan North America on an extended warranty.

Hope this helps and welcome to the thread on your first post here.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
RBlover69

you cannot reset a cars milage to zero for just a engine swap the milage on the car still stands reguardeless of the motor.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:18 PM
dbasal

Default Update

Just a quick update.

I received word yesterday that Nissan will be buying my vehicle back.

This long journey is just about over.

Just like some others they first offered 4000 or so and I turned them down on that. Then they quickly come back with the buyback offer. Of course, I had to use a lawyer because of the complete incompetence of my regional rep.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:26 PM
ZeeForce

dbasal,

Congrats on the BB. It’s got to be gut wrenching, although you sure did give the V2 all the benefits of the doubt, before resorting to this solution. Good info to keep in mind regarding the first offer bit. Will it be enough to step into another current model Z, if you should decide to? It’s a shame you had to go lawyer route, curious though on how much out of pocket was his fee?

We will sure miss you here, although I do not believe it will be mutual…lol…as we all, are not here by choice. Seriously, you will be missed as one of the fore fathers on the thread, here from the start. Long live the king! Gone but never forgotten.

For some that do not know: dbasal along with bofa and 9kFever were here from the beginning. I should probably add bofa to the top of the stats list, even if I do not have his stats. Everyone, bofa was the first to go buy-back, this was just prior to the release of the V2. And dbasal received the first V2 as recorded on the stats list and he really kept this thread up to date, always polite with everyone, he really made it a great place to visit, even though we all were not here by choice and would rather have not been part of the thread, but under the circumstance we were, and dbasal made me feel like coming back again and again.

Here is a post I made back in Nov 2007, that I feel really expresses my gratitude for your advice and service to our community.

Post # 1876

Originally Posted by ZeeForce

Guys,

I want to take a moment to recognize a couple guys that have been very instrumental in making this thread a success from the start. We all should take a moment and reflect back to say a year ago when everyone had no place to go for answers on the oil consumption issue, everyday new and different tales were popping up from the dealers and NNA, there was kaos, disbelief, confusion, frustration, anger, disappointment, stress, marriages were torn apart, (owner and car) brother against brother, those were the days. These guys put everything into perspective so today their time here has given the rest of us some ground work to base our case against NNA and the dealers.

dbasal and bofa are the godfathers of this topic. Their help, support and advice have been truly valuable for all of us in dealing with NNA and our dealers. Without their experiences dealing with NNA and sharing it with the community, this topic discussion would be nothing less than a be-chin thread. I would have to say this thread has been and still is the best thread on this site where everyone is polite and helpful to all. No thanks to dbasal and bofa for setting the tone.

A real asset to this community!

Thanks
-Curtis
dbasal, keep in touch!

At your service
-Curtis
Old 03-29-2008, 02:05 PM
dbasal

dbasal,

Congrats on the BB. It’s got to be gut wrenching, although you sure did give the V2 all the benefits of the doubt, before resorting to this solution. Good info to keep in mind regarding the first offer bit. Will it be enough to step into another current model Z, if you should decide to? It’s a shame you had to go lawyer route, curious though on how much out of pocket was his fee?

We will sure miss you here, although I do not believe it will be mutual…lol…as we all, are not here by choice. Seriously, you will be missed as one of the fore fathers on the thread, here from the start. Long live the king! Gone but never forgotten.

For some that do not know: dbasal along with bofa and 9kFever were here from the beginning. I should probably add bofa to the top of the stats list, even if I do not have his stats. Everyone, bofa was the first to go buy-back, this was just prior to the release of the V2. And dbasal received the first V2 as recorded on the stats list and he really kept this thread up to date, always polite with everyone, he really made it a great place to visit, even though we all were not here by choice and would rather have not been part of the thread, but under the circumstance we were, and dbasal made me feel like coming back again and again.

Here is a post I made back in Nov 2007, that I feel really expresses my gratitude for your advice and service to our community.

Post # 1876

dbasal, keep in touch!

At your service
-Curtis
Thanks for your kind words. Hopefully I have helped some folks along the way.

I am really having a hard time deciding on what is next. I know the new ones do not exhibit these issues, so there is no concern there.

I've been thinking to find something cheap and saving for something more grand in the future, but that is really against my personality and my brain is really fighting me on that .

As far as the lawyer, their fee turns out to be $2500. For the first offer from Nissan, Nissan had given the 4k with the restriction that it included lawyers fees. I'm not sure on this latest offer. Doesn't really matter since the loan gets paid and I pocket a little bit. If the Nissan buyback actually included lawyers fees, then that would mean it was a buyback and $6500, since I net $4000.

Either way, I have 40,000 miles on the car and have had it for 22 months. In my mind, I can at least be at peace with the end result. The road on the way may have been bumpy and I probably will need to see Dr Phil for an extended period of time , but I stuck with it and played by Nissan's rules and still ended up getting the vehicle bought back.

After going through all the "fun" at the beginning of this; trying to just get Nissan to admit there was a problem (what an adventure that was), it is nice to see that there is a very clear roadmap for this now thanks to the TSB.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:55 PM
RBlover69

Im glad that you got this sorted out db what dealership did you go to.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by RBlover69
Im glad that you got this sorted out db what dealership did you go to.
Thanks.

Originally I bought it from Universal, but switched to Reed when the v2 was installed.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
ZeeForce

dbasal,

Your paving the road has helped many here.

Maybe an econo car is the best choice right now, with the economy going into a recession. Hide that 4k in a shoebox or under the mattress until the time is right. GT-R would be my first choice, but way out of my price range, then maybe a Z4. It's hard; we set standards on ourselves as to what we would feel comfortable in, versus what we would tolerate being seen in. Myself, I would stoop as low as a Versa, it's my beater next year, plus I can use it as a truck.

I am glad the BB worked out for you and put some extra cash in the pocket. I would probably loose my shirt on a buy back, although I have yet to crunch any numbers. Figuring my mileage on the car at time of notifying NNA of the issue was around 17k and the purchase price was 42k. Well I love the Z too much, so I would most likely go "replacement" over a BB.

That is the key right there, that you played by the rules and still ended up getting the vehicle bought back.

Looking back at it now, with all the "fun" in the beginning, it sure does make for some great story telling around the dinner table or BBQ. Therefore when your nephew tells you about the one that got away at the used car lot, you can tell him about the big fish at Nissan that did not get away. The fog sure has lifted with the TSB, compared to yester-years.

Cheers
-Curtis
Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
dbasal

dbasal,

Your paving the road has helped many here.

Maybe an econo car is the best choice right now, with the economy going into a recession. Hide that 4k in a shoebox or under the mattress until the time is right. GT-R would be my first choice, but way out of my price range, then maybe a Z4. It's hard; we set standards on ourselves as to what we would feel comfortable in, versus what we would tolerate being seen in. Myself, I would stoop as low as a Versa, it's my beater next year, plus I can use it as a truck.

I am glad the BB worked out for you and put some extra cash in the pocket. I would probably loose my shirt on a buy back, although I have yet to crunch any numbers. Figuring my mileage on the car at time of notifying NNA of the issue was around 17k and the purchase price was 42k. Well I love the Z too much, so I would most likely go "replacement" over a BB.

That is the key right there, that you played by the rules and still ended up getting the vehicle bought back.

Looking back at it now, with all the "fun" in the beginning, it sure does make for some great story telling around the dinner table or BBQ. Therefore when your nephew tells you about the one that got away at the used car lot, you can tell him about the big fish at Nissan that did not get away. The fog sure has lifted with the TSB, compared to yester-years.

Cheers
-Curtis
We are thinking in the same way in future vehicles, that is for sure. As far as crunching the numbers, I did that last night with the formula for the lemon law here in Florida. I would actually have only pulled about even at the very best, given the mileage. The lawyers somehow got me more than I would have by simply going by the numbers. Just something for folks to consider when either going after Nissan alone or getting a lawyer.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM
potophan01

Originally Posted by dbasal
Just a quick update.

I received word yesterday that Nissan will be buying my vehicle back.

This long journey is just about over.

Just like some others they first offered 4000 or so and I turned them down on that. Then they quickly come back with the buyback offer. Of course, I had to use a lawyer because of the complete incompetence of my regional rep.
Yep - incompetence. I'm still waiting for my buyback agreement in writing and my regional rep. calls and tells me they lost my sales and car registration I had FedEx to them. He said they'd be glad to pay for my FedEx fee this time - nice of them. He blamed it on the underwriters but if he's the rep. why didn't he make a copy before sending it to underwriting? Idiot!

Anyhow, it's almost over for me. Good to hear your getting your money back even after 40k miles!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by dbasal
We are thinking in the same way in future vehicles, that is for sure. As far as crunching the numbers, I did that last night with the formula for the lemon law here in Florida. I would actually have only pulled about even at the very best, given the mileage. The lawyers somehow got me more than I would have by simply going by the numbers. Just something for folks to consider when either going after Nissan alone or getting a lawyer.
+1 on future vehicles.

I would not have guessed, that the lawyer could get you more. That is very good info to keep in mind, especially since you came out ahead.

I wonder how much I would get with the formula for the lemon law in CA?

Around 17k miles on the vehicle at the time when notified NNA of the issue.
42k purchase price of vehicle
22k financed
20k down payment
Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
9kFever

Sorry I havent been around! Keep fighting them guys. ZeeForce, you have unlimited access to my account.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM
dbasal

+1 on future vehicles.

I would not have guessed, that the lawyer could get you more. That is very good info to keep in mind, especially since you came out ahead.

22k financed
20k down payment
You get a good deal in CA because it is when you first notified them. For me here in FL, it is based on the assumed mileage at time of buy back. I started my consumption tests around 7k miles. I would have loved to live in CA for this, I would have been really sitting pretty. You should be in pretty good shape, especially considering almost a 50% down payment.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
potophan01

Cool

+1 on future vehicles.

22k financed
20k down payment
In California there is a "mileage cost" you subtract from you're sale price.

The formula is: mileage (when vehicle started consuming) divided by (/) 120,000 x price of car = mileage cost

For you: If you paid $42,000 and OC problem started at 17k, your mileage cost would be $5,950. So, $42,000 - $5,950 = $36,050 (NNA pays you). If you then payoff your car loan you will have somewhere between $15k and $20k leftover depending on your loan payoff amount. You may make up for the entire $20k you put down.

You are in the driver's seat. It wouldn't hurt to call NNA and tell them you want buyback and see what they offer. NNA won't offer unless you ask. They have to call you back within 30 days and will first offer $4,000 contingent that you will sign a waiver not to buyback. If you decline they will immediately (in the same breath) offer you buyback per Calif. lemon law. You don't need to pay a lawyer any fees if you call yourself or work with a BBB rep. NNA has all your service paperwork already and you do nothing but wait 30 days for the final agreement and check. All I had to do was send them a copy of my CA registration and dealer sales document.

Last edited by potophan01; 03-31-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:27 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 9kFever
Sorry I havent been around! Keep fighting them guys. ZeeForce, you have unlimited access to my account.
About time you checked in, did you think you could slip out the side door that easy.

What are you driving?

No abuse on the account and mucho appreciate the access.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion