Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM
potophan01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with NNA yesterday and shared with them our stats list that there are WAY too many with OC on the V2 - it's probably going to reach 50% in a matter of time.

NNA's response was "we are overwhelmed" with processing all of the buybacks. It is an epidemic now and they know it.

ZFORCE - Please replace the old (useless) January stats list on page one or at least delete it. It is not accurate or representative with the problem we now have.

We are not the only ones on this thread who have this problem - it's a major epidemic and folks need this information to convince NNA why they do not want a V2 replacement - because its also failing right and left - and Nissan will continue to replace V1s with V2s.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM
SpeedGeek

Default 2 Questions

2 Questions

1. Does anyone know what type of rings are used in our engines and v2?

2. Does the new v2 engine come with a new Exhaust Manifold already bolted on?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if Nissan wants they can reimburse me the cost of the engine brand new and i'll use it to build a built motor for twins. Haha.

On a good note, I switched to 0W-40 and it definitely seems to have helped my problem.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by potophan01
This Amsoil article is not anything new - I've read it a long time ago. It is interesting a relevant to this thread if you're interested in what the "causes" are behind consumption.

Yes, it is all mechanical (not related to the oil we use) and there's nothing here about breakin. You either have a sound motor with all of these mechanical aspects or you don't.

This is what we should be focusing on if you want to know what is causing your V1 and V2 to consume - someone should tear down their motor and analyze each one of these parts.
Glad to hear you had special access to that Amsoil TSB as I did, of which 99% people don’t. Yes it’s old, released April 2004 to be exact, but the physics of OC in internal combustion engines haven’t changed much over the years so I feel it's not outdated info and was to benefit others here in brainstorming the possible 'cause' or 'causes' and gain knowledge. That's why we're here isn't it?

Of course it doesn't mention break-in procedures. Its context is about oil and mainly mechanical reasons for OC. Why would an oil company spend the time and cost on break-in method research. It would answer a lot of questions I have if they did though.

UOA's tell a lot in what's going on internally mechanical wise and how a fresh engine is sealing/seating itself correctly or not. Oil can have an effect on engines, though more likely in the long run concerning longevity, imo. Still, metallurgy in the build and type of oil can be a factor. UOA's can disclose that fact. My UOA tells me what internal part(s) are failing and possibly why, including possibly in correcting. Also if the oil I used was ok or not in using that type. UOA's are the next best thing to tearing an engine apart.

Good info on NNA being swamped with buy-backs. No doubt they have the tiger by the tail with this issue and for awhile. Sorry to read prior about them losing your buy-back paperwork. I'd be furious if that happened to me. Hope it all gets straighten out and you can continue to move forward.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
2 Questions

1. I don't know.

2. I don't think so. Tried to find a picture I have of a V2 just out of crate. It's buried somewhere. Don't remember seeing new exhaust manifolds on picture. Don't quote me yet on that. I'll keep looking. Long blocks usually don't come with those.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
SpeedGeek

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
1. I don't know.

2. I don't think so. Tried to find a picture I have of a V2 just out of crate. It's buried somewhere. Don't remember seeing new exhaust manifolds on picture. Don't quote me yet on that. I'll keep looking. Long blocks usually don't come with those.
OK cool thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
06CPV35

OK cool thanks!
Only one I could find for some reason. Know I had others looking from sides and back. Others might have got deleted idk.

Think this one is actually ZeeForces V2. Don't see any exhaust manifolds. Hope that helped

Oh...ignore the red circles. They were for something else being asked long time ago.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
SpeedGeek

Only one I could find for some reason. Know I had others looking from sides and back. Others might have got deleted idk.

Think this one is actually ZeeForces V2. Don't see any exhaust manifolds. Hope that helped

Oh...ignore the red circles. They were for something else being asked long time ago.

Dude, you rock. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:47 PM
potophan01

Good info on NNA being swamped with buy-backs. No doubt they have the tiger by the tail with this issue and for awhile. Sorry to read prior about them losing your buy-back paperwork. I'd be furious if that happened to me. Hope it all gets straighten out and you can continue to move forward.
You're obviously in love with your new V2. I was too when it was new but you will not be a happy camper when it starts consuming again and you realize it's lost power and goes flat, not because of your break-in style or oil you use, but because it has mechanical issues causing the OC. It's defective - face it.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:27 PM
potophan01

2 Questions

Two answers (just kidding):

1. The V1 rings are OEM and you can order them through normal supply channels. The V2 - know one knows except for Nissan and they won't tell what they tried to fix in the V2 or allow customers, like myself, to break down the motor. When the V2 fails they quickly get another one in there even if you buyback.

2. No; the V2 is a long block. All the bolt-ons incl intake and exhaust manifolds are replaced from your V1.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 PM
potophan01

Originally Posted by Armitage
Well if Nissan wants they can reimburse me the cost of the engine brand new and i'll use it to build a built motor for twins. Haha.

On a good note, I switched to 0W-40 and it definitely seems to have helped my problem.
That would be nice - you must be kidding. NNA has only offered $4,000 (with condition you won't buyback) or a buyback/refund per lemon law.

$4,000 is not near enough to build a motor much less twins.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
SpeedGeek

Thumbs up

Two answers (just kidding):

1. The V1 rings are OEM and you can order them through normal supply channels. The V2 - know one knows except for Nissan and they won't tell what they tried to fix in the V2 or allow customers, like myself, to break down the motor. When the V2 fails they quickly get another one in there even if you buyback.

2. No; the V2 is a long block. All the bolt-ons incl intake and exhaust manifolds are replaced from your V1.
Awesome Thanks!!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 AM
SpeedGeek

I'm still amazed at how much oil gets blown through the PCV, as soon as I get my v2 home, I'm going to attach my catch can again see how much oil is collected.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 AM
06CPV35

You're obviously in love with your new V2. I was too when it was new but you will not be a happy camper when it starts consuming again and you realize it's lost power and goes flat, not because of your break-in style or oil you use, but because it has mechanical issues causing the OC. It's defective - face it.
If you had been reading my posts, then you would have realized I don't even have a V2...yet.
Personally know three with V2's and are happy campers.
I'm still amazed at how much oil gets blown through the PCV, as soon as I get my v2 home, I'm going to attach my catch can again see how much oil is collected.
Yes, well know forgotten cause of another way oil can get consumed on these (all rev up's) and not just the rings.
If I remember correctly, think it had something to do with the VVT duration which was mentioned in the first few pages here.
Have a friend who's testing in a sense, like you. Keep us updated with your results.

Thank you to all who have continued to send PM's to me with stat info.
Much appreciated

-edit-
Stat info idea abolished. Ignore that statement above.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 05-25-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Z-Track

Mine collected about 0.5 oz in 200 miles, therefore it should accumulate about 7.5 to 8 oz (1/4 of qt) in 3000 miles. But who knows until I have 3000 miles on my car.....
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
potophan01

ZForce, Where's the updated stats list on page 1. Pls update or delete the old.

You expect us to reply to your PM. How bout compying with others requests?

Just sign in with 9k's ID' then hit delete and repost.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 PM
NeverBoneStock

Ok I need help!! My engine has started consuming again and I went the BBB route!!! NNA sent Mr Guzman and he said to this date there has been NO V2 replacement engines that have failed !!! Well I should him the chart and he said that is all hearsay!!! So based on that BBB decided in NNa favor in regards to buy back or extended warranty!! This guy lied!!!!! If anyone can send me or email ,or fax info showing there has been buybacks and consumption like work orders or anything along those lines that would be great !!!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:59 AM
potophan01

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
Ok I need help!! My engine has started consuming again and I went the BBB route!!! NNA sent Mr Guzman and he said to this date there has been NO V2 replacement engines that have failed !!! Well I should him the chart and he said that is all hearsay!!! So based on that BBB decided in NNa favor in regards to buy back or extended warranty!! This guy lied!!!!! If anyone can send me or email ,or fax info showing there has been buybacks and consumption like work orders or anything along those lines that would be great !!!
That is a lie! NNA is an ignorant bunch, and incompetent - the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. My V2 was replaced and I have all of the prior OC test and installation ROs. There are others here who have failure V2s as well.

Remember NNA claims what we know as the V2 (part # ending in 'xxxZ') could actually be V1 motors. They really didn't track the hand built Japan motor by part #, only engine number (someone in Japan has a spreadsheet or they conveniently lost it, knowing them). Anyhow, this is the story my service manager told me when they had to replace my V2 that my second motor was probably a V1 (bull!). When my failure of a V2 was replaced by another V2 (part # ending in 'Z') NNA requested that the dealer send them the "old engine #". Gee, I wonder why. Anyhow, they're cutting hairs and controlling damage by putting out lies (partial truth). Even if they don't have accountablility of the V2s installed that absolves them of any liability.

Questions:
1 - Did NNA then refuse your buyback request?
2 - What did they refuse?
3 - How much oil were you consuming in your V2?
4 - Is it beyond the TSB scale for consumption?
5 - Did you do a dealer OC test on your V2 yet?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:02 AM
350zenvy

Anyone get grips from the dealer regarding mods and the oil consumption test? I have a y-pipe and cat-back only but don't have oem exhaust so I can't switch that back on. No engine mods though.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be nice - you must be kidding. NNA has only offered $4,000 (with condition you won't buyback) or a buyback/refund per lemon law.

$4,000 is not near enough to build a motor much less twins.
Oh I'm aware its not enough for even a low-level build, thats more in the range of $5-6k and another $5-8k for the twins.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion