Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:37 PM
SlideWays314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did they buy it back for what you might have sold it for to a private party according to kbb.com?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_blow_xbox
I'm listening 06CPV35 ... I followed Nissan's break-in on my second V1 and my V2 to no avail. Now my car is back in Nissan's hands under lemon law. They bought back the car about 3 weeks ago.

Good Luck.
I'll keep you members updated when it happens and how it's going down the road...good, bad, success or failure.

Thanx for good luck wishes, much appreciated.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Was officially approved today and V2 on order...Know which break-in method I'm using and time, miles and UOA's will tell.
I really don't think it is a ring issue, otherwise it would be solved by now. Just my opinion, but the head mechanic at my dealership agrees with me.

John
Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
The HR is really great! It pulls like no tomorrow. I'm broke in now (post 1200mi) and revving up to 7.5K on occassion. It sounds 'meaner' too - but not crazy loud or anything. Just 'buffer' than the '06. Yeah, on the extra add-on thingy. I was like, 'what tha' but mostly you'll just forget it's there. On the hood, hated it at first site (late '06) but now as only alternative - got use to it and like it Not throwing salt in wounds here, just hope that a good fair BB will mean an great '08 for all those '06 sufferers in the future!!!
Sounds good. I hope I can get a good buyback if this engine continues to consume.

John
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by antennahead
I really don't think it is a ring issue, otherwise it would be solved by now. Just my opinion, but the head mechanic at my dealership agrees with me.

John
Your opinion respectively accepted. Did your mechanic have any opinions as what it could be if not the rings?
It's still very disheartening and confusing as to why some V2's are and some V2's aren't sucessful, including oem's and V1's.
I'm going to try the break-in method a Tribologist suggested and hope for the best.

I'm all ears if it's not the rings.

Thanx.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 PM
antennahead

Your opinion respectively accepted. Did your mechanic have any opinions as what it could be if not the rings?
It's still very disheartening and confusing as to why some V2's are and some V2's aren't sucessful, including oem's and V1's.
I'm going to try the break-in method a Tribologist suggested and hope for the best.

I'm all ears if it's not the rings.

Thanx.
I posted this a few pages ago:

"I took my car in for the oil change yesterday. They documented it was using oil and started another oil consumption test, sealing the plug and cap. The dealership has been very good to me in the first engine replacement, fighting to get me a V2. The head mechanic told me the regional rep was recently there, and they discussed the '06 consumption issue. He said the rep stated it was a valve cover issue. I am stating this from memory and I'm no mechanic, but I believe the way he worded it was oil is getting past the valve cover and into the intake and being sucked out the PVC. He agreed it isn't a ring issue."

I am not as mechanically inclined as many here on this site, but this was what my mechanic said to the best of my recollection. At this point I am open to all reasonable possibilities.

John
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by SlideWays314
did they buy it back for what you might have sold it for to a private party according to kbb.com?
I got back the value according to California Lemon Law. It was essentially the (price I paid - mileage) + taxes + interest paid on the loan + registration. The mileage is the miles when I forst rpeorted the issue/120000 miles.

For ex, I first reported the issue with 12000 miles and returned the car with 26000 miles. If I paid $30000 for the car, I would get back $27000 ($3000 deduction for mileage) + taxes paid + registration + interest. Note this is California law only, and may be different where you live.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:50 PM
06CPV35

I posted this a few pages ago:

"I took my car in for the oil change yesterday. They documented it was using oil and started another oil consumption test, sealing the plug and cap. The dealership has been very good to me in the first engine replacement, fighting to get me a V2. The head mechanic told me the regional rep was recently there, and they discussed the '06 consumption issue. He said the rep stated it was a valve cover issue. I am stating this from memory and I'm no mechanic, but I believe the way he worded it was oil is getting past the valve cover and into the intake and being sucked out the PVC. He agreed it isn't a ring issue."

I am not as mechanically inclined as many here on this site, but this was what my mechanic said to the best of my recollection. At this point I am open to all reasonable possibilities.

John
Ahh yes, I remember that now. Thanks.
It falls back on the high vacuum pull these VQ's are known for above 3000rpm and PCV valve can't handle it.
Think this issue was mentioned within the first few pages here as well. Known issue also mentioned/discussed well over a year ago on Driver too.
My dealer even mentioned this when my G was consuming from day one new over two years ago.
Oil catch can also proved this condition in some VQ's, but not in all on a thread over on Driver long time ago.
If this were the main problem, then I'm surprised Nissan hasn't figured this out by now and corrected.

Thanks for the reminder of another cause to this OC.

-edit-
Probably a combination of both rings and high vacuum in some cases or one or the other.
My UOA proved blow-by from rings and fuel dilute in oil from blow-by between 20-25K on my rev-up for what that's worth.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 05-20-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: UOA proved ring blow-by
Old 05-21-2008, 04:45 AM
antennahead

Ahh yes, I remember that now. Thanks.
It falls back on the high vacuum pull these VQ's are known for above 3000rpm and PCV valve can't handle it.
Think this issue was mentioned within the first few pages here as well. Known issue also mentioned/discussed well over a year ago on Driver too.
My dealer even mentioned this when my G was consuming from day one new over two years ago.
Oil catch can also proved this condition in some VQ's, but not in all on a thread over on Driver long time ago.
If this were the main problem, then I'm surprised Nissan hasn't figured this out by now and corrected.

Thanks for the reminder of another cause to this OC.

-edit-
Probably a combination of both rings and high vacuum in some cases or one or the other.
My UOA proved blow-by from rings and fuel dilute in oil from blow-by between 20-25K on my rev-up for what that's worth.

You previously stated:

"I'm going to try the break-in method a Tribologist suggested and hope for the best." Would you please share with us. I am very curious, as I did it their way on the V1, while loading the engine much harder on the V2, but never exceeding 4000 RPM. Thanks.

John
Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, time for a V2 update.

(1) So Far So Good – Still Pending

Oil Consumption: half a quart during first 750 miles of break-in. No oil consumption thereafter

Engine Install Date: 3/15/08
Engine part number: ac7mz
Mileage on Engine: 3500
Mileage on current oil change interval:1500
Oil Type/Brand/Weight: Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30

I broke the car in along Nissan's guidelines. I did not pass 4k rpm during the first 1700 miles. I did not apply full throttle, most I went was 3/4. The engine was broke in with 80% highway driving between 2700 and 3200 sustained rpm.

Over the last 2k miles, the oil level has not dropped one single millimeter. It's pegged at "H" and has stayed there.

I drive quite a bit, so I'll update this in several months when I hit 10k on the new engine.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 AM
06CPV35

You previously stated:

"I'm going to try the break-in method a Tribologist suggested and hope for the best." Would you please share with us. I am very curious, as I did it their way on the V1, while loading the engine much harder on the V2, but never exceeding 4000 RPM. Thanks.

John
ASAP or within reason: From a rolling start or slow speed, WOT (up hill if possible) to 45-60mph, then let off completely on acceleration. Do not over-rev and do not lug engine in a high gear. Do this procedure 5-6 times.
Then drive normal without continued WOT sessions until break-in mileage is complete.

^That along with Nissan method of not over 4K and vary rpms imo.

That's a method I listed in my break-in stat study, which subsided in interest here awhile ago. Method 'H'
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2883

I PM'd all members on ZeeForce's oil stats sheet. Some responded and many did not to my stat study.
Even ones who were all gun-ho on the idea and of course the ones who are/were bitter about the idea, no imput. No matter.
Link to Stats sheet if anyone cares in making their own conclusions:
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2884

Changing oil prematurely a few times helps too.

I'll periodically update here only when I have anything worthwhile mentioning about my V2 be it positive or negative.

There's good info here btw on buy-back. Hopefully I won't have to use it, but you never know and good to know it's here if I need it.
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Well, time for a V2 update......
Good to hear things are going well with you and your V2. Take care.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 05-21-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added links
Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 PM
antennahead

ASAP or within reason: From a rolling start or slow speed, WOT (up hill if possible) to 45-60mph, then let off completely on acceleration. Do not over-rev and do not lug engine in a high gear. Do this procedure 5-6 times.
Then drive normal without continued WOT sessions until break-in mileage is complete.

^That along with Nissan method of not over 4K and vary rpms imo.

That's a method I listed in my break-in stat study, which subsided in interest here awhile ago. Method 'H'
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2883

I PM'd all members on ZeeForce's oil stats sheet. Some responded and many did not to my stat study.
Even ones who were all gun-ho on the idea and of course the ones who are/were bitter about the idea, no imput. No matter.
Link to Stats sheet if anyone cares in making their own conclusions:
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=2884

Changing oil prematurely a few times helps too.

I'll periodically update here only when I have anything worthwhile mentioning about my V2 be it positive or negative.

There's good info here btw on buy-back. Hopefully I won't have to use it, but you never know and good to know it's here if I need it.

Good to hear things are going well with you and your V2. Take care.
"ASAP or within reason: From a rolling start or slow speed, WOT (up hill if possible) to 45-60mph, then let off completely on acceleration. Do not over-rev and do not lug engine in a high gear. Do this procedure 5-6 times.
Then drive normal without continued WOT sessions until break-in mileage is complete."

This is the exact same method I used to break in the V2, with the exception I did this for about 2 hours after I got the car back. I wonder if I over did it. I also never exceeded 4000 rpms.

John
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
06CPV35

This is the exact same method I used to break in the V2, with the exception I did this for about 2 hours after I got the car back. I wonder if I over did it. I also never exceeded 4000 rpms.

John
Very possible you over did it.

Take care.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 AM
Wardriver25

as per nissan guidelines, how much oil does a 350z 06 suppost to consume during the 3000 miles period. my car has 4 mm of oil above low within 2000 miles. i took my car to nissan and they told that my car is fine. also, my exaust tips are complete black and every time i step on it black particles comes out of my exhaust. should i tried to bring my car to a different dealer or get a lawyer? i don't know what the heck to do. thank you
Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 AM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by Wardriver25
as per nissan guidelines, how much oil does a 350z 06 suppost to consume during the 3000 miles period. my car has 4 mm of oil above low within 2000 miles. i took my car to nissan and they told that my car is fine. also, my exaust tips are complete black and every time i step on it black particles comes out of my exhaust. should i tried to bring my car to a different dealer or get a lawyer? i don't know what the heck to do. thank you
See the service bulletin on page 1 of this thread. The first post gives you lots of information. It will show the Nissan TSB for what is and is not acceptable oil consumption. 4mm above low is 20mm oil consumption if the car was properly filled last oil change. 20mm is enough to be considered excessive oil consumption for < 2000 miles. Bring a printout of the TSB to the dealership and show them it. They will then know you can't get jerked around.

It sounds like your car is consuming oil, but they may have to start an oil consumption test if Nissan didn't change your oil last time. This would be to start with a known level of oil.

Note I have returned my car under California Lemon Law so I don't own a 350z any more. I won't be here all the time.

Good Luck
Old 05-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Z-Track

Originally Posted by Wardriver25
If your car has only dropped 4mm within 2000 miles, then it is acceptable according to the TSB. For 2000 miles you need to be down at least 10mm. Now about the exhaust tips, they will have a little black but to keep them clean you could install an oil catch can. I have put some pictures of what the back of my car looked like before my V2 replacement.…

My car was burning up to 25mm in 500 – 600 miles, all documented by Nissan.

Just keep your eye on the level b/c it could start consuming at anytime…..Make sure that you have your dealership write everything on the workorder
Attached Thumbnails RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-106.jpg   RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-107.jpg  
Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I should take pictures of my car's exhaust. Yours is like a glowing example of cleanliness compared to mine. The bottom is black as hell... I need to put in a lot of elbow grease to clean those things off.

I bought my car w/20k miles on it and it already had black exhaust tips, now it's basically baked on.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Z-Track

True that I feel your pain - lots of elbow grease to clean them as well.... That was 1500 miles after a thorough cleaning and an oil change. And trust me that is baked on, used a wax cleaner to get it off...The first thing I did when I had the V2 put in, I installed a catch can. No more black exhaust tips or markings....
Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 AM
djscotty

Heres my V2 update. I have 500 miles on the new motor and its down 12mm of oil. What do you guys think? The dealership did not give me any break in procedures at all. I have not revved the motor above 4000rpms and actually have been driving to save gas. How much is it supposed to burn during the break in period? I will be going back to Nissan in a 1000 miles but I know like usual they are going to give me the run around. Thanks
Old 05-24-2008, 10:33 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by djscotty
Heres my V2 update. I have 500 miles on the new motor and its down 12mm of oil. What do you guys think? The dealership did not give me any break in procedures at all. I have not revved the motor above 4000rpms and actually have been driving to save gas. How much is it supposed to burn during the break in period? I will be going back to Nissan in a 1000 miles but I know like usual they are going to give me the run around. Thanks
All I can think is possibily is they didn't use 5.5qts on initial fill with your fresh V2. Believe that's what I've read that it takes .5 more qts than normal to fill all the nooks and crannies. Then after, it's the normal 5qts to fill to F w/filter on oil changes.

Did you check level right when you got your V2 or when you got it home?
12mm = .5qts which is why that was the first thing I thought of.

Maybe try topping it off to F then see where it's at another 500.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion