Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo1182
Mine has around 7k miles and still consumes. I also broke it in for about 2k miles.
I broke it in for a little over 1700. I thought that the break-in method may play a part in what engines are doing good or bad, but at this point it seems so completely random that I really can't put a finger on it.

I wonder if some different v2s went out with different versions of the "Fix". Some with just revised rings, some with revised valve seals, etc, but went out with the same model number just so Nissan could see which ones were sent back.

Probably not, but whatever.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 PM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I broke it in for a little over 1700. I thought that the break-in method may play a part in what engines are doing good or bad, but at this point it seems so completely random that I really can't put a finger on it.

I wonder if some different v2s went out with different versions of the "Fix". Some with just revised rings, some with revised valve seals, etc, but went out with the same model number just so Nissan could see which ones were sent back.

I don't know, you may have something there. My head mechanic told me his regional rep said it was valve seals, and this was stated almost a year after the V2s started arriving.

John
Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
ZeeForce

Probably not...imho
Your best bet is to find out what the condition of your engine is in.

imho..Valve guides were prolly replaced on the fisrt V2's. It was discussed here almost a year prioir to the first V2.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 PM
ZeeForce

Default An ongoing series on UOA's and engine condition

https://my350z.com/forum/5468422-post2863.html

Reposting my original post # 2863 on Used Oil Analysis (UOA), Engine Condtion, Break-In, Oil Types, and other goodies.

The results from my first UOA, out of three UOA' so far.

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
My goal here is to share some data on how these new V2 engines are doing for oil consumption, engine wear during break-in, and determining if Nissan’ remedy for the oil consumption, is a success, failure, or just a crap shoot. This is the first of an ongoing series of used oil analysis (UOA) reports. There is at this time, nothing in stone to answer the big question – does it fix the issue. Only time, mileage and the continued efforts made here, by enthusiasts will tell. Hopefully this will spark some interest and members will want to have their oil analyzed. Finding the answers are within us, as a community. John (06CPV35) has been putting the final touches on the Break-In Stats, and he hopes to have it out soon. It should make for an interesting comparison.

Recently I had a sample of used oil, from my V2 engine sent out to a lab to be analyzed by a very good tribologist. The raw data from the used oil analysis (UOA) is posted here with commentary by Will (Resolute). Will has a thread on oil chemistry and makes commentaries on submitted UOA’s by members. There is also much information to be acquired, if you are interested in learning about the best lubricants for the VQ. His knowledge and expertise is right up with the best in the industry. To prove my point, I asked Will to look at the raw data from the report and make an analysis; the results were right on the mark with that of the commentary and analysis from a well renowned tribologist. There is no doubt in my mind that Will knows oil, and the condition of an engine, just by looking at a UOA report.

The information Will has provided on my used oil analysis (UOA) is valuable and answers a lot of questions I had on:

What is the current engine condition, during break-in?
When is the break-in period, finished?
When to start using synthetic oil?
When to change the initial oil on a new engine?

What type of comparisons can be performed, to see if V2’s are a success, a failure, or just a crap shoot? - This was discussed offline in an em.

It was suggested that comparing the UOA results from an original engine (V1) to one of the new engines (V2) would provide some interesting results. If the same oil is used and the oil change intervals are roughly at the same time, it would make for a good comparison.

The same would also apply for two new V2’s, where if both engines use the same oil, and change the oil at the same time (mileage) and this is done during the same time period, then the comparisons would be worth looking at. For example: If both new V2 engines change out their same type of oil at 800 miles, and then change it again at 3755 miles, send it in for a UOA, both UOA’s might have the same results. That would indicate that both engines break in the same, and if one of them does not break in well, then the other would probably not break in well, either. If both break-in well, then it would be fair enough to say they are a success. If one breaks-in well and the other has different results on the UOA, then we could say that each V2 engine is a crap shoot for which breaks in and which don’t. If we follow the same oil change intervals and using the same oil adds some control to the UOA results, since it’s not the oil differences we care about, but the engine condition.

Some stats on the engine, for the current UOA:

Oil consumption during the oil change interval: 10 mm
Amount of oil added during oil change interval: Zero
Miles on engine before initial oil drain: 800 miles
Miles on sample test for UOA: 3577 miles
Total miles on freshly built engine (V2): 4380 miles
Oil used: dino Castrol GTX 5W-30

Mods: Nismo CAI, Nismo Cat-Back exhaust.

The Used Oil Analysis and commentary on the condition of the engine, by Will (Resolute) can be found here:
Note: Will’s reference in the commentary to “Fe” is Iron.

The discussion goes on to post 429, and then picks up again at post 434 and finishes off at post 441.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....15#post5386315

At the request of Will (Resolute) regarding questions:
Any questions about UOA’s, should be posted on the UOA thread. Will does not check in the other forums or threads very often, therefore he would more likely to respond, to a UOA question, if posted in that sticky.

At your service
-Curtis
Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
ZeeForce

Just a few snippets from the discussion. They start on https://my350z.com/forum/5386331-post427.html

And continue on for several posts.

Originally Posted by Resolute
The fuel you have in your sample from blow-by should hopefully not be a problem in the future as your piston rings seat and break-in properly.

However, no conventional oil is going to do well in the presence of fuel, and Castrol GTX is no exception. Conventional oils break down and shear from the fuel dilution much faster than synthetics do, because synthetic base stocks remain much more stable under fuel contamination. Some synthetics, like RLI's BioSyn 5W-40, were developed for this very reason, to protect the engine despite massive fuel dilution, as seen in Audi's direct-injection V8.

This is another reason why I have no problems switching to synthetics as soon as possible. The engine break-in may take a few thousand miles depending on the engine, during which time blow-by will put fuel in the oil. Synthetics typically allow for better protection of the engine during this critical time by handling the fuel dilution better than conventional oil, as well as better neutralizing any acids from the assembly lubes and gasket by-product. This is why most high performance engines often come with synthetic oils installed from the factory, such as the new GT-R, so that the engine has better protection during the break-in process.

As far as assembly lubes and byproducts of gasket material are concerned, this is one reason why I always change my oil fairly soon after getting a new engine. I usually change at 500 miles or so, and then again at 1200 miles or so, just to be sure that all the remaining permeates from these materials are carried out of the engine before the oil degrades from their presence.

Will

Is it possible that engine break-in, again depending on the engine, may take more than a few thousand miles, say up to 15-18k miles to fully seal?

Thanks for the information on when to switch to synthetic and the reasons why.

Flushing the initial oil TWICE on a fresh built engine, before 1200 miles, is very good information.

I am looking forward to the document on assembly lubes.

Cheers
-Curtis

I would say most engines break-in faster than 15k miles. In fact, I would not usually expect my own engine to be in the break-in process beyond 2k miles. However, not all engines are the same and some will take longer than others. A UOA is good to show if the engine is still breaking-in or is having difficulty with break-in.

If I was on my other computer, I would find and post that article. I'll put it up later this week.

Will
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
ZeeForce

Reposting my 2nd UOA

From post: https://my350z.com/forum/6098575-post3307.html

Here are the results from my used oil analysis with commentary from Will (Resolute).

https://my350z.com/forum/6019793-post547.html

Click on the attachment in the above link to see the raw numbers from the UOA.

********** Originally Posted by ZeeForce ********************

Will,

Here is the 2nd UOA on the freshly built 06 RevUp. Your commentaries on the first one were very much appreciated.

Data from both UOA’s are combined on this data sheet. Both were using Castrol GTX 5w-30.

Some background data:

2006 MT RevUp VQ35 replaced with freshly built engine.
Total miles on new engine: 7603 mi
Oil change interval: 3223
Oil: Castrol GTX 5w-30
Oil Filter: Nissan OEM
Air Filter: Cotton oil based K&N style. The air filter was replaced at 1259 miles into this OCI with Amsoil’s PAPER EaA type filter. The intake system is a Nismo CAI.
Fuel: Shell V-Power 91 octane

Oil added: Zero
Oil consumption: 4-5 mm (1/8 - < 1/4)

Mods:
Nismo catback exhaust
Nismo CAI

Driving habits: Daily driving, no track or autoX., 40/ 60 freeway/street, no revs over 4000 rpm.

Location geography: Northern California average temperatures 35-100 degrees. Dry, not very dusty.

Thanks in advance
Curtis

Attachment 197395

******** Commentary response from Will (Resolute) ***************

Well, I think your engine is still breaking in. The fuel dilution is higher than I'd like to see, probably from blow-by. While the chromium is low, the iron is most likely from upper cylinder wear as the rings seat against it, and the Nickel helps confirm the fuel is from incomplete break-in. The fuel is most likely responsible for your oil shearing out of grade (anything below 12.5 cSt is a 20 weight), since that's what fuel dilution does and the oxidation and nitration levels help rule out shearing from heat. It's really not a bad wearing engine, and while copper from bearings and bushings is still higher than I would be comfortable with, the Pb and tin are both low, which means the fuel dilution hasn't caused any issue with journal and rod bearings. The only thing that really sticks out here, besides the fuel dilution, is the sodium. Combined with the trace coolant in the oil, you might have an issue brewing and would need to monitor that. Other PP samples have not shown sodium levels like this, so it's not an additive they use, it's most likely from some coolant. The silicon has lowered, and getting rid of the K&N will most likely improve this number, since my own results have shown that it does offer some horsepower- at the loss of filtering efficiency.

I know it's frustrating to have this new V2 with a fuel dilution problem, but oil consumption is low and there is almost no moisture in the engine. I would say it's just taking longer than the original VQ35 (non rev-ups) to break in.
I'm also using PP 5W-30 right now. So, between yours and mine, we could have an interesting comparison between the two UOA's. How much we could gain from it is debatable, but it could be interesting nonetheless. Plus, it would be good to finally get some PP 5W-30 UOA's in the comparison chart with their new formula.

Will

The original reply can be found here: https://my350z.com/forum/6019793-post547.html

My original post is here: https://my350z.com/forum/5998939-post540.html

Note: With the oil change from this used oil analysis (UOA), I am currently running with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and have not noticed any coolant loss, plus the new PAPER type air filter.

This next oil change interval and UOA should prove for better results. My guess is this engine will not fully seal until about 15k-18k miles.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
ZeeForce

Reposting from my 3rd UOA

https://my350z.com/forum/6268944-post3464.html

https://my350z.com/forum/6268916-post611.html

Pending Will' (Resolute) interpretation.

The post from the above link on the UOA sticky:

Will,
Here is the third UOA from Dyson on the freshly built 2006 VQ35 Rev-Up.

Note: that the coolant drop on this OCI (below) may have been a false visual reading. The good new is there is no glycol on this sample UOA. But I am still monitoring it.

I have blacked out the "Watch Advisory" info as this info comes from the lab and Terry Dyson uses his own interpretation methods which is included in his audio commentary and stickies on the raw data sheet. Therefore the data is irrelevant; also the "Reference" data was from the extra virgin sample taken from Castrol GTX 5w-30.

Oil used in the” Sample Dates":
Sample Date: 01/25/2008 = Castrol GTX 5w-30
Sample Date: 05/10/2008 = Castrol GTX 5w-30
Sample Date: 08/23/2008 = Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

Thanks
Curtis

************* Data on this OCI UOA ****************

Data on the 2006 350Z freshly rebuilt engine.

Nissan 2006 350Z manual transmission.
Engine: 3.5 L V-6 VQ35 300hp Rev-Up
Fuel: Shell V-Power 91 octane
Fuel additives:
Air Filter: Amsoil EaA paper air filter.
Recent repairs: None
Mods: Nissan’ Nismo CAI and Catback exhaust system.
Driving habits: Daily driving, no track or autox. No revs above 4000. 40/60 freeway/street.

Never overheats

Date of oil change: 8/23/08
Oil Type: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30
Oil Filter: Amsoil Ea0
Miles on oil change interval: 3657 mi

Mileage on engine: 11,260 mi
Oil changed on regular intervals at 3750 mi.
Oil added on this interval = Zero
Oil loss = 6 mm (1/4 quart)

On this oil change dated 8/23/08 the oil was swapped out for the SAME brand/weight: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and Amsoil Ea0 oil filter.

Follow up on the monitoring of coolant level from the last UOA:

Reporting that there was a tad (1/16’ drop in the over flow reservoir) of consumption when measured at engine operating temperature.

Attachment 205351

From post: https://my350z.com/forum/6317251-post616.html

Hi Curtis!

Sorry I took so long to get back with you on this. Wear has continued to improve, and everything is trending positive. It's nice to see your fuel dilution improve, and the drastic drop in sodium is reassuring. Makes sense that your coolant level dropping might have been a false reading, since there is such an improvement in the UOA. I still don't like the copper levels or Pb levels being so high. Pb is really not bad at all and I would be content to see it stay there, but 3ppm or less is better. The copper is another matter. I wonder, since PP uses Moly disulfide and not MoDTC, if the sulfur isn't contributing to the copper levels. This would be similar to a condition found with some RP oil blends. The viscosity was stable for a change, TBN was decent, even though your oxidation was high. Oxidation could be from several things, but mostly comes from cleaning varnishes and other deposits from inside the engine. This breaks the oil's TBN down and contributed to the higher TAN levels, and often helps shear the oil. Oxidation can be a good thing as long as your acids remain in check, since the oxidation shows PP is living up to its "cleaning" reputation. In this case, your viscosity and TBN are fine, so it looks good, Curtis. Next one will be a key UOA, to see if the trending continues and the Pb and Cu drop, as well as see if the slight increase in Nickel reverses.

Will

From post: https://my350z.com/forum/6321048-post624.html

Hi Will,

Not a problem, figured you were on vacation or needed a break form the forum. As usual I am always pleased with your expert interpretation of the raw numbers from my UOA’. Great to hear that wear has continued to improve. I was advised by Terry to start romping on engine with good pulls to 75% of redline. Safe but hard excels. I also hope this next UOA continues to improve. My fingers are crossed that soon this engine will completely seal.

Thanks again for all your hard work in keeping this sticky going and up to date.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 PM
ZeeForce

Up to date now, all wrapped up in one continous posts for all three UOA'.

Hopefully some will get something out of my shared experiences with the freshly built engine, UOA, engine condition, break-in, and oil type.

I am currently enjoying the freshly built engine with 11k miles on it.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by antennahead
I don't know, you may have something there. My head mechanic told me his regional rep said it was valve seals, and this was stated almost a year after the V2s started arriving.

John
Probably not...imho
Your best bet is to find out what the condition of your engine is in.

imho..Valve guides were prolly replaced on the fisrt V2's. It was discussed here almost a year prioir to the first V2.
I remember when the valve seals were discussed way back then. It was also speculated here as maybe being the V3, but the part # never changed even when TSB was first released, so no one was sure what to think.

I mentioned back this May (~ year after first V2 release) on my V2 having an additional revision as previous ones per my dealer. What was told to me and 'antennahead', I'll say there was a second revision done for sure with same part number, but when....probably never know.

ZeeForce....seems my V2 has almost same UOA results in sealing/seating as yours with many fewer miles than yours (except the glycol thing on mine). Wonder if the multiple oil changes in first 3750mi I did had anything to do with that. I broke mine in a little different than you and used a blend rather than dino from the get go, per your other recent posts.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
antennahead

Haven't seen any posts since the website re-design, thought I'd post and see if it is just an anomoly

John

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
I remember when the valve seals were discussed way back then. It was also speculated here as maybe being the V3, but the part # never changed even when TSB was first released, so no one was sure what to think.

I mentioned back this May (~ year after first V2 release) on my V2 having an additional revision as previous ones per my dealer. What was told to me and 'antennahead', I'll say there was a second revision done for sure with same part number, but when....probably never know.

ZeeForce....seems my V2 has almost same UOA results in sealing/seating as yours with many fewer miles than yours (except the glycol thing on mine). Wonder if the multiple oil changes in first 3750mi I did had anything to do with that. I broke mine in a little different than you and used a blend rather than dino from the get go, per your other recent posts.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Nismospeed4life

Thanks for the test!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:56 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Thanks for the test!
Woo Hoo, there is still life on this thread

John
Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 AM
06CPV35

Yeah...still here...

Nothing to report on my V2 other than, it seems to still be improving on OC as the miles continue and I've been romping on her almost daily now.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 09-28-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Deleted an OT statement
Old 09-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Yeah. Im prepping my car to be taken in now. Selling off everything that they could possibly blame it on.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Blue_Z

checked the oil level on my V2 today and it was damn near empty on the dipstick.

370Z...?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:25 PM
ZeeForce

06CPV35…. I copied your UOA from Resolute’ thread and his commentary.

From link: https://my350z.com/forum/6286356-post614.html

Got my UOA using Valvoline DuraBlend 10w-30.
This sample was third oil service on a fresh built revup VQ with only 3750mi on it.
Sample is from last 2000mi of 3750. I'm pleased with this oil with such a freshly built V2.
Just thought I'd share what Nissan/Infiniti is building as their revised rev-up VQ replacements.

From link: https://my350z.com/forum/6317284-post617.html

Fuel dilution needs to drop, and I'm sure it will as the rings continue to seat. Glycol is way off. Have you noticed coolant disappearing on you? Sodium is low for a freshly built engine, so either your coolant doesn't use a lot of sodium or the glycol is from something else. I'm leaning towards the former. Copper is a bit high, but that could be from residual gasket leachate, anti-seize compounds, and assembly lubes. Everything else looks pretty good. I have to say, I think your V2 engine might be off to a better start than ZeeForce's. I'd be curious to see how much the fuel dilution improves over the next 3k miles or so.

Will

I find it very interesting and rewarding that (06CPV35) is taking the information acquired here and actually applying it with hard facts to back it up. …..kudos…kudos... I want people to learn form my UOA’ and what better than to hear of the success they have with their engines. What better than to have an engine break-in better than mine, its what I had hoped would come out of these discussions and sharing of facts.

Two things (06CPV35) followed that differed from my UOA’s, that made a BIG difference in the engine break-in:

1) My use of conventional oil during the first two oil change intervals (OCI) was proven to shear the weight and could not handle the fuel dilutions and assembly lubes found in all freshly built engines. Changing to synthetic oil proved better numbers all around. By (06CPV35) starting out with a synth blend has proved better numbers, this fact is with your UOA (below) and Will’ comments.

2) Changing out the oil ASAP and many more times within that first 3750 mi on the freshly built engine, also proved better than mine, as it flushed out the assembly lubes much quicker than mine. Again showing in your initial UOA and from Will’s comments.

To All : the bottom line – use this method (above) and most important get a UOA by dyson labs, which comes with consultation via an audio commentary. There is great information here between these two UOA’, do yourself a favor and take some time to read up on them. You have invested this much time subscribing to this thread; now put some of the proven stuff to use.

Cheers
Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 PM
ZeeForce

btw: Here is 06CPV35's response to Resolute' commentary:

Fuel dilution needs to drop, and I'm sure it will as the rings continue to seat. Glycol is way off. Have you noticed coolant disappearing on you? Sodium is low for a freshly built engine, so either your coolant doesn't use a lot of sodium or the glycol is from something else. I'm leaning towards the former. Copper is a bit high, but that could be from residual gasket leachate, anti-seize compounds, and assembly lubes. Everything else looks pretty good. I have to say, I think your V2 engine might be off to a better start than ZeeForce's. I'd be curious to see how much the fuel dilution improves over the next 3k miles or so.

Will
From link: https://my350z.com/forum/6318608-post623.html

Thank you Will. Appreciate your input being it's a fresh V2 and not ready for your official data yet.

Hopefully fuel dilute will drop as she continues break-in. 0.8 is best to expect on these replacements I believe.
Glycol, agree is way off. No obvious drop in coolant level, but monitoring closely this interval.
Oil consumption continues to improve during current interval while still breaking-in.

So far I'm pleased with this build and will update at next UOA with ~3700-4000mi on DB 10w-30 oil again.
Wonder if all my oil services helped in comparison to ZeeForces V2 from the start and using a blend rather than conventional.

Thanx again.........
Old 10-04-2008, 06:25 PM
06CPV35

06CPV35…. I copied your UOA from Resolute’ thread and his commentary.

From link: https://my350z.com/forum/6286356-post614.html

I find it very interesting and rewarding that (06CPV35) is taking the information acquired here and actually applying it with hard facts to back it up. …..kudos…kudos... I want people to learn form my UOA’ and what better than to hear of the success they have with their engines. What better than to have an engine break-in better than mine, its what I had hoped would come out of these discussions and sharing of facts.

Two things (06CPV35) followed that differed from my UOA’s, that made a BIG difference in the engine break-in:

1) My use of conventional oil during the first two oil change intervals (OCI) was proven to shear the weight and could not handle the fuel dilutions and assembly lubes found in all freshly built engines. Changing to synthetic oil proved better numbers all around. By (06CPV35) starting out with a synth blend has proved better numbers, this fact is with your UOA (below) and Will’ comments.

2) Changing out the oil ASAP and many more times within that first 3750 mi on the freshly built engine, also proved better than mine, as it flushed out the assembly lubes much quicker than mine. Again showing in your initial UOA and from Will’s comments.

To All : the bottom line – use this method (above) and most important get a UOA by dyson labs, which comes with consultation via an audio commentary. There is great information here between these two UOA’, do yourself a favor and take some time to read up on them. You have invested this much time subscribing to this thread; now put some of the proven stuff to use.

Cheers
Agree...think we may be on to something here.....

I'll report back after next oil interval including OC mm's.

Until then......................
Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 PM
ZeeForce

^ +1
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Blue_Z

does anyone who has gone through the process know how long it takes from when you call NNA and get them to offer the buyback to getting the check in hand?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion