Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw.....If the car starts to consume oil during any period up to my 100k miles or by the year 2011, and the engine fails the TSB OC chart...guess what, I get the current model as a replacement (under the CA Lemon Law). Be it a 2010 or 2011 model....yippee...win win situation for me!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the long-term success vs. failure rate with these new engines? The chart on the 1st page doesn't look like its been updated in awhile.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
No one knew, not NNA, not Dealers, not the NNA regional reps, It was and still is, all kept secret on what was and still is being replaced in the freshly built engines.

It all goes back to the same original speculation from May of 2007, which were the rings, possibly pistons, valve guides, PCV valve etc...etc..

I would speculate (guess) that the valve guides and seals were replaced from the first engine back in May of 2007.
Well I would hope that you are correct, but my V2 still consumes, albeit much less than the V1. It has also reversed the trend of increasing consumption over the first 3 oil changes, to using less on change 4 than change 3, which was the high for consumption. Who knows, if this next change is better, maybe these things really do need 16 to 18 thousand miles to settle down.

John
Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
btw.....If the car starts to consume oil during any period up to my 100k miles or by the year 2011, and the engine fails the TSB OC chart...guess what, I get the current model as a replacement (under the CA Lemon Law). Be it a 2010 or 2011 model....yippee...win win situation for me!
I HATE U Infiniti laughed in my face many times and was always a stern NO when I asked for factory extended. I gave up, which I'm sure was their hope I finally would.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by antennahead
Well I would hope that you are correct, but my V2 still consumes, albeit much less than the V1. It has also reversed the trend of increasing consumption over the first 3 oil changes, to using less on change 4 than change 3, which was the high for consumption. Who knows, if this next change is better, maybe these things really do need 16 to 18 thousand miles to settle down.

John
16 to 18 thousand miles....longest break-in I've ever heard of on any engine, but have heard this from an independent professional myself and has seen many of these V2's.

Good to hear improvement on yours. Hope that trend continues.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Nismospeed4life

Default Update

Well, I just got my car back from getting the V2 install. Thank God everything went very smooth, from the begining to the end. And now the long and painful break-in period.

I must say that I have a new found apreciation for my car, I guess Peter Cetera from the 80's group Chicago was correct about one thing. "Everybody needs a little time away."

After getting back in my car after a week of driving the rental PT Cruiser, I am delited on how great these cars are. Z

While I was there my service advisor said, "I have bad news" I was like, "Now what!?" He then mentioned that I may be needing new transmition in the not so near future. Thank God for warranty.

Other than that, the car engine seems to pull very strong in every gear. Either that or I have been driving that POS PT Cruiser for too long!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Nismospeed4life

Default Need Suggestions!!

Ok, so I when I went to check the oil level on Saturday morning before starting the car, I notice that they overfilled it about a half of quart.

I then called the dealer right away and spok to the service manager an told him about it, he was really nice about it and agreed that I need to bring it in and that they will change the oil and give me on top of that a free oil change for my next visit as well as a curtesy. I was happy about it since the car had 100 miles already on it and I was suggested to change it A.S.A.P. right after the V2 install.

Well, I just check the oil level again this morning and the BASTARDS overfilled it again, either that or they never did anything to begin with. I took the rler this morning and my camera to document the reading and show them when I take it back tomorrow morning.

It looks like they overfilled it by 11ish MM. Here the picture I took, ZeeForce, do you guys think is too much or ok?

Last edited by Nismospeed4life; 11-02-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
06dieselZ

Ok i started the oil consumption test and the dealer changed the oil and everything so i took it home and checked the dip stick. They scratched it where the 5q of oil went up to and it doesn't fill to the H. Is this normal? Oil was changed about 600miles ago
Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 AM
06CPV35

I can only speak from my G35 coupe. 5qts w/filter always brought to F on hash mark with mine.

And I'm tripping on Nismospeeds stick. 24mm = hash mark to hash mark H-L on mine...not his. Are these the ones where 24mm = 2qts down not 1qt or something? How many mm L-H on those sticks? Doesn't follow TSB's picture of what 24mm is. I'm very confused seeing this.

I think 1/2qt over okay, tho really shouldn't be. If 1qt over that would not be ok, imo.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Nismo1182

whoa very weird
Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
I can only speak from my G35 coupe. 5qts w/filter always brought to F on hash mark with mine.

And I'm tripping on Nismospeeds stick. 24mm = hash mark to hash mark H-L on mine...not his. Are these the ones where 24mm = 2qts down not 1qt or something? How many mm L-H on those sticks? Doesn't follow TSB's picture of what 24mm is. I'm very confused seeing this.

I think 1/2qt over okay, tho really shouldn't be. If 1qt over that would not be ok, imo.
I took that ruler from the first page of this forum. Correct me if I am wrong, however, it has been my understanding that 24MM = 1 Quart. From E - F. If that's the case, then they overfilled it by 11MM, One MM short of a half a quart. 06CPV35, can you ask ZeeForce to see if I need to see wha he thinks?

Last edited by Nismospeed4life; 11-02-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 PM
06dieselZ

so what about my stick?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
so what about my stick?
That's about right, it used to take 5 1/2 to fill mine. However, I am surprise that they scratched it there instead of topping it off like they are suposed to do. Idiots.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM
06dieselZ

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
That's about right, it used to take 5 1/2 to fill mine. However, I am surprise that they scratched it there instead of topping it off like they are suposed to do. Idiots.
I think they did that because the engine only requires 5qt of oil thus burning off the extra 1/2qt and giving a false reading.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
I think they did that because the engine only requires 5qt of oil thus burning off the extra 1/2qt and giving a false reading.
If they overfill it like they did mine, way over the F mark then yes, it will seems as though it may be burning the oil off. However, is ok to fill up to the F mark. That is what the TSB suggest when they say top it off.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
I took that ruler from the first page of this forum. Correct me if I am wrong, however, it has been my understanding that 24MM = 1 Quart. From E - F. If that's the case, then they overfilled it by 11MM, One MM short of a half a quart. 06CPV35, can you ask ZeeForce to see if I need to see wha he thinks?
I see how they over filled you by your ruler. I see where the H mark is ~24mm mark, where's your oil stick L mark on that ruler? It's somewhere way to the left of that rulers 0mm mark. Your L mark to H mark is more than 24mm? That's what I'm talking about.

As a matter of fact, he called me about something else first . Mentioned your issue. He agrees with what I said earlier....guess you'll have to take my word what I posted
Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Nismospeed4life

I see how they over filled you by your ruler. I see where the H mark is ~24mm mark, where's your oil stick L mark on that ruler? It's somewhere way to the left of that rulers 0mm mark. Your L mark to H mark is more than 24mm? That's what I'm talking about.

As a matter of fact, he called me about something else first . Mentioned your issue. He agrees with what I said earlier....guess you'll have to take my word what I posted
LMAO! I did not meant to sound as if I did not believe your sound advice, I just needed to hear it again. Cheers mate! As always, thanks for al of your help
Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 PM
06CPV35

^ It's all good...no worries
I've had a hair up my **** today for some reason and in a crappy mood. Time change on the west coast, tomorrow is Monday and it's going to rain again is my excuse I guess
Have a good work week all....
Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by antennahead

John
Yup...confirmed from a professional tribologist (oil guy), and from Resolute (Will) that these engines are taking longer to break-in than the DE series. Mine is coming up to 15k and Will indicated that this used oil analysis MAY finally show the engine settling in (rings and pistons seating) for longevity. Keep in mind that mine is doing so well because I am getting tuning advice from Dysonanalysis. There’s other stuff being done to the tune to help with the break-in and the fact I am have the oil analyzed and making adjustments to the oil type, air filtration amongst other things.

On the flip side 06CPV35 has had faster results with his break-in than mine, again with the correct oil and break-in procedures that he and I have mentioned here many times.

It’s working for us, so you may want to invest in a little $$ and have a UOA (used oil analysis) done and get tuning advice from Terry Dyson of dysonanalysis.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:33 PM
ZeeForce

I HATE U Infiniti laughed in my face many times and was always a stern NO when I asked for factory extended. I gave up, which I'm sure was their hope I finally would.
Yeh..you would think Infiniti would treat their high paying customers with a little more on the backside (as in extended warranty).

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion