Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down OC Test Fail!

Zeeforce,

If you have some time, please let me know what kind of information you may need from me to add me to the list. My OC test fail and the a new V2 was order and is in process of being install. I also have pictures of the new V2.

Last edited by Nismospeed4life; 10-23-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Nismospeed4life

Default Here's My V2

Last edited by Nismospeed4life; 10-25-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:48 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Zeeforce,

If you have some time, please let me know what kind of information you may need from me to add me to the list. My OC test fail and the a new V2 was order and is in process of being install. I also have pictures of the new V2.

Congrats, it’s about time….what has it been over a year since you have been monitoring the OC? In all its all good, you finally got one. I have not been keeping track of the stats for some time, seems like it lost interest and it was a lot to keep up. I would suggest taking the template at the bottom of page 1 and use it to post up your stats. To be honest it’s not how much your fresh engine is consuming, its all about “what the condition your engine is in during break-in”. 06CPV35 learned from my experiences and UOA’, with better results than me and from the recommendation of Terry Dyson of www.dysonanalysis.com and Will (Resolute) and his VQ Oil Analysis thread.

Proven tips:

1. Drain the oil within five minutes after you receive the car back from dealer.
2. Drain the oil again after 200-500 miles
3. Drain the oil again after 1500 miles
4. Go an entire oil change interval with 3750 miles on this oil change.
5. Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 or Valvoline Durablend 10w-30
6. Use an Amsoil oil filter.
7. Keep your air filter very clean, I cannot stress enough about this, and if you are using cotton oil based filter, seriously consider going to paper.
8. Have the used oil analyzed by Terry Dyson after 3750 mi ($60.00)
9. As soon as you get it, but it really does not matter when, is to put a load on it. Uphill WOT, never over revving past 4k rpm and when you reach 65mph, then back off. Do this 5 times. It will help with seating the pistons and rings.
10. Then drive the car within the mfg guidelines within the recommended miles, never exceeding 4k rpm.
11. Do not take for granted that once you hit the mfg break in miles of 2k (or is it 4k, I do not remember) that the engine is broke in. Have it analyzed by Terry Dyson. It’s not how we break-in the engines, it’s the condition of the engine after every oil drain during this break-in period. With that said the way we (06CPV35 and myself) have worked with Terry, appear to be having the best results on these freshly built engines.

06CPV35 chime in, if you are nearby. btw: Can you confirm from his pics if they replaced with new the PCV valve? It looks like they did, I see it on the rhs of the engine.

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Curtis
Old 10-23-2008, 06:51 PM
ZeeForce

btw: she (V2) sure is a beautiful !!!

Thanks for the pics, sweet dreams are made of this.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 10-23-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added "sweet dreams"
Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
btw: she (V2) sure is a beautiful !!!

Thanks for the pics, sweet dreams are made of this.
Thank you so much for taking the time and being a great contributor for everyone else than came after you. You are a gentlemen and a scholar! It is because of you and the rest of contributors in this wonderful thread that I was able to get my new engine, and for that I thank you so much! And yes, she ( VQ35 DE ) is beautiful indeed!

p.s. I've been using the JWT Popcharger in my car because I love the sound it makes. Is there a paper filter intake that I could use and still have the benefit of the awesome Popcharger sound?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM
ZeeForce

Thank you so much for taking the time and being a great contributor for everyone else than came after you. You are a gentlemen and a scholar! It is because of you and the rest of contributors in this wonderful thread that I was able to get my new engine, and for that I thank you so much! And yes, she ( VQ35 DE ) is beautiful indeed!

p.s. I've been using the JWT Popcharger in my car because I love the sound it makes. Is there a paper filter intake that I could use and still have the benefit of the awesome Popcharger sound?

Thanks for the kind words, I apologize for not being very active lately on the thread, sometimes after I have said about all I can, it’s just sit back and watch and listen. Pretty much all has been said over and over so I am staying in the wings and enjoying the Z. I do not worry about much anymore, because I have all my bases covered with the help of Terry Dyson and Will (Resolute). I must confess that my very good friend 06CPV35 deserves a lot of credit. Without him I probably would have been frustrated and bent out of shape most of the time. We discussed a lot about these VQ’s offline and at GTG’s and he has been more active keeping all informed with his experiences, research and support.

Amsoil makes a paper air filter for the JWT, 06CPV35 had the JWT and took it off and went back to the stock air filter box with an Amsoil drop in. His still sounds awesome! The filtration has more benefits over flow, not to mention ensuring your engines longevity. I am running NISMO CAI with Amsoil’s paper and there was no difference in sound after the switch from oiled cotton to paper.

A few pages back I summarized all of my UOA’ and commentaries from Resolute (Will), it makes for some reading. Especially on engine condition.

Again thanks to all that paved the way for me, as I am sure someone else will pave the way for others after I leave.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Blue_Z

update..

just submitted my loan information to nissan, looks like they're putting together their numbers for a buyback. yesterday they offered me a replacement 08 Z, wouldnt have to pay any differences in price, as long as it's an enthusiast like mine, plus they offered to pay taxes/fees, etc. I asked about the 09 Z, if they could get that for me instead.. they responded that they could if i wanted to wait, but it wont be available till April 09, and i would then be responsible for any difference in MSRP.

I refused the offer because I didn't want to wait that long and am actually looking to downgrade in order to purchase a home. So I requested buyback and now they are running the numbers. Should get a response today.

be on the lookout for a parting out thread..
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Nismo1182

Ok anyone who has had their Z lemoned in CA, does the law go by first 18 months/18k miles or for the entire vehicle warranty (Song-Beverly Act)?
Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Blue_Z
update..

just submitted my loan information to nissan, looks like they're putting together their numbers for a buyback. yesterday they offered me a replacement 08 Z, wouldnt have to pay any differences in price, as long as it's an enthusiast like mine, plus they offered to pay taxes/fees, etc. I asked about the 09 Z, if they could get that for me instead.. they responded that they could if i wanted to wait, but it wont be available till April 09, and i would then be responsible for any difference in MSRP.

I refused the offer because I didn't want to wait that long and am actually looking to downgrade in order to purchase a home. So I requested buyback and now they are running the numbers. Should get a response today.

Il take either an 07 or 08 or the buy back. 09 is FUGLY!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Blue_Z
update..

Good info....thanks for posting this. I will be bookmarking this post # for future reference.

I know what you mean with the economy and such, investing in some property still has value if you are buying, not selling.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Nismo1182
Ok anyone who has had their Z lemoned in CA, does the law go by first 18 months/18k miles or for the entire vehicle warranty (Song-Beverly Act)?
I believe it is the 18mo/18k miles, but may want to double check from the link on the first page of this thread.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 PM
ZeeForce

Il take either an 07 or 08 or the buy back. 09 is FUGLY!
I still need to see the 09 in the flesh, sitting the fence on this one until the AutoShow hits San Francisco next month.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Nismospeed4life

ZeeForce,

How do you like your Nismo CAI? After what you mentioned to me on going with a paper air filter, I have been re-consedering buying one. In your estimation, should I go with the Nismo, Fujitsa or JWT?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:24 PM
ZeeForce

ZeeForce,

How do you like your Nismo CAI? After what you mentioned to me on going with a paper air filter, I have been re-considering buying one. In your estimation, should I go with the Nismo, Fujitsa or JWT?

I really like my NISMO, never hydro locks, sounds good paired up with NISMO cat backs. Did I over pay?....prolly. Are there better bang for the buck out there? ...prolly. Am I the right person to ask on a compare-o?... NO.

Really, if I was to switch over I would be doing a lot research here on this forum as to which is the best; to be honest I have not even had a thought of switching. I racked up $1500 on both and it works for me, and if I had another $1500 I would put it towards wheels or other engine mods instead of switching out the current set up...imho. I do know that by switching out the cotton oil filter to paper had very little effect on the function of the CAI system. I only lost a wee bit of flow (relates to hp) for a lot better filtration. Really how much hp gain, for the buck, do we get with any of these? Mfg statements of hp gain versus dyno testing usually results in over statement of hp by the mfg. I am not saying do not get one, its just do some research and get the best. I found the best bang for the buck is an upper plenum spacer.

If it helps, you should not rule out any of them. Amsoil makes universal paper filters in a gazillion dimensions; sooo which ever you go with, Amsoil prolly makes a paper filter. For what it’s worth, I heard that the stock box set up on the 06 with a drop in filter had better results than a lot of pop chargers and CAI. Several months later after the 06 Z was purchased I looked around the garage and do not remember the stealer ship giving me back the stock air box, as I purchased the car with the NISMO set up before it came off the show room floor. They knew what they were doing, prolly already had it already sold to another customer with a 05 or earlier model.

Advise: Do your homework and pick one that best fits your budget and desire.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 PM
06CPV35

06CPV35 chime in, if you are nearby. btw: Can you confirm from his pics if they replaced with new the PCV valve? It looks like they did, I see it on the rhs of the engine.
In last pix, the PCV is on the left taped up and sticking out from valve cover. Yup, that's the new one. Should have new plugs installed and have the revised valve guide seals as well.

Thanx ZeeForce for that comment earlier. I subscribe to about....4 other OC threads plus this one. Just sharing the knowledge and continue to do so when I can from our brainstorming/ideas/personal experiences and UOA results.

My new frustration has been my worsening detonation and has been my new 100% focus now. Anyone have a Consult II or Cipher they can loan me? lol

You know who to hit up on your Amsoil products
Old 10-24-2008, 11:14 PM
ZeeForce

^What about a new EGR.......jk.

Was that about right on your oil change interval for a fresh engine?

Props well deserved 06CPV35...damn… wish I could just call u by your first name, your alphabet soap screen name gets me every time. Did I also mention that I am disleck-isk…...lol

Maybe its time to break down and buy some DSFM for the detonation issue, it works for me. I can cop you some next time you out this way, try a bit and see how it works. I still get a little at low loads. Face it, its our regional locale, until they offer ethanol. Another consideration is that its time for the oil refineries to switch over from their summer blend to the winter blend and wait until we are into the full winter to run a few tanks of Shell VPower 91 octane.
I can also ask around this weekend at the GTG – EuroSunday for what you are looking for.

Amsoil: You are the man! Is that about correct on your JWT vs stock box drop in filter and also regarding Amsoil making sizes for the Fujitsa, and what are your thoughts of running a paper filter for JWT?

Cheers
Curtis
Old 10-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Nismospeed4life

Thanks again ZeeFoce! And thank you 06CPV35 for your help also.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:43 AM
06CPV35

Thanks again ZeeFoce! And thank you 06CPV35 for your help also.
NP...hope your long awaited V2 is a winner. Mine took almost 2.5yrs to get...long story....

I'll kill two birds with one stone here on the JWT pop chrgr question and you running with one...

I'm sure Amsoil makes a conical filter with same or very close to your JWT dimensions. Believe cost is comparable to what a K&N would cost. The thing you need to remember is Efficiency/Flow. There's always somewhat a trade off between the two. I choose Efficiency as dirt egress is truly an engines worst enemy over time, imho and don't mind cleaning more often for that benefit.

Have no idea what dimension a Fujitsa is, never owned one. Mine's maybe a bit quieter than when I ran my JWT, but it's the enclosed stock box in comparison. Still sounds good though with my Amsoil drop-in compared to my OEM drop-in.

Let me research for a link that has all of Amsoil's conicals. Have it somewhere that I gave to ZeeForce quite awhile back, unless he beats me to it here...brb
Old 10-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Nismospeed4life

Thanks 06CPV35! I was wondering though, if I were to install a paper one, once it becomes dirty would I have to buy another one? Or do I just clean it like the oil base ones and put it back on?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:24 AM
06CPV35

^What about a new EGR.......jk.

Was that about right on your oil change interval for a fresh engine?

Props well deserved 06CPV35...damn… wish I could just call u by your first name, your alphabet soap screen name gets me every time. Did I also mention that I am disleck-isk…...lol

Maybe its time to break down and buy some DSFM for the detonation issue, it works for me. I can cop you some next time you out this way, try a bit and see how it works. I still get a little at low loads. Face it, its our regional locale, until they offer ethanol. Another consideration is that its time for the oil refineries to switch over from their summer blend to the winter blend and wait until we are into the full winter to run a few tanks of Shell VPower 91 octane.
I can also ask around this weekend at the GTG – EuroSunday for what you are looking for.

Amsoil: You are the man! Is that about correct on your JWT vs stock box drop in filter and also regarding Amsoil making sizes for the Fujitsa, and what are your thoughts of running a paper filter for JWT?

Cheers
Curtis
I wish it were that easy with it being an EGR. When they went variable valve timing, EGR was no longer needed on these I found out.

Detonation started after my 3rd and before my 4th oil service; 1750-3750mi service interval. About same time my OEM VQ did, but thought that was due to the excessive OC. My V2 seems to be worse in that respect with much less OC. The VQ37VHR with higher compression, 330hp doesn't ping on 91 oct...why does my 298hp VQ35DE ping...

Go ahead and use my real name, I don't care.

I've hooked up with a couple Nissan/Infiniti techs on another forum. We're brainstorming since my dealer has proven worthless on recognizing/solving this new issue. Once again I find myself holding my dealers hand on what to do...so sad. Leaning towards my exhaust cam vtc learn parameters, but need real-time logging on that to confirm if that's the issue.

Been meaning to get some of that DSFM. Might take your offer on that next time our paths cross...thanx.

My new issue is completely OT here, so no more from me about my new concern.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 10-25-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion