Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM
sleezye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on the V2 for over 5k now and no oil consumption so far, but I am hearing really bad low rpm pinging even with higher octane gas I have read that it is tied to the oil consumption issue.
I love this car, I was sure It was a keeper, but don't want to keep it if I have to keep replacing the engine. I guess I'll just keep it until the warranty is about up and trade it in on a newer model.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J's 350z!
I have an 06 and my car burns alot of oil due to this if I take it to the dealer and have them run a check on it are they obligated to replace it if it fails the oil consumption test?
Read the TSB.
Originally Posted by sleezye
I've been on the V2 for over 5k now and no oil consumption so far, but I am hearing really bad low rpm pinging even with higher octane gas I have read that it is tied to the oil consumption issue.
I love this car, I was sure It was a keeper, but don't want to keep it if I have to keep replacing the engine. I guess I'll just keep it until the warranty is about up and trade it in on a newer model.
Check your PCV valve if drenched in oil and not rattling easily when you shake it. Though that usually indicates some OC with that condition which you say none on yours, still worth checking imo. PCV not working correctly can contribute to pinging, among many other things too long to list.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Texas Ex

Default Replace engine for excessive oil consumption

New to the forum:
I complained about oil consumption about a year ago to the dealer before I went over 30,000 about excessive oil consumption. After a test, I was told to expect a new engine. I waited two months and nothing. Went back and complained and was told another test was required. After second test, I got a new engine at 37,000 miles. The new engine now has 15,000 miles on it and has no oil consumption.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Regul8or

Does anyone know if it is a brand new engine that they supply, or simply a rebuilt core???
Similar to what Advanced auto parts and autozone do with our window motors.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM
06CPV35

^Mine from it's first analysis, highly suggested as being a re-manned from it's metallurgy. On another OC thread on a different forum, some member knowing an Infiniti Engineer says these replacements are re-manned long blocks.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
brickhouse

Default im JUST getting an 05 anniversary

since its an 05 and its now mid november 2009, does this mean my 5 years (powertrain warranty) has passed? the seller is telling me that the engine burns "half a quart every 5k miles". it only has 44k miles total on it so i know that shouldnt be an issue with the warranty BUT now im concerned about the 5 year thing havind passed. also if what the seller is saying is true (and possibly untrue), should i attempt to get that free engine swap regardless?

id appreciate experienced z owners opinions and advice.

thanks, brickhouse
Old 11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
06CPV35

^
Your consumption must be in the 'no good' for replacement.
Infiniti TSB OC chart is the same as Nissan OC chart.
Here's Infiniti's:

It's generally known that 24mm = 1qt.
Nissan's TSB can be found on first post here.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by brickhouse
since its an 05 and its now mid november 2009, does this mean my 5 years (powertrain warranty) has passed? the seller is telling me that the engine burns "half a quart every 5k miles". it only has 44k miles total on it so i know that shouldnt be an issue with the warranty BUT now im concerned about the 5 year thing havind passed. also if what the seller is saying is true (and possibly untrue), should i attempt to get that free engine swap regardless?

id appreciate experienced z owners opinions and advice.

thanks, brickhouse
That amount of consumption is not a worry if he is telling the truth.
But buying this car at the end of the warranty you have to consider maybe having to deal with a problem down the road.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:19 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Just finished my first oil consumption test and was approved for an engine replacement. Getting it installed this week.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 AM
joce845

Hi I'm from Canada, montreal and have a 350z 2005 35th ann. with oil consumption problem, but the dealer says it's normal. I start a oil consumption test at the dealer. After 1000 km I check the oil and it drop 7 mm. I went to the dealer but they don't even mesure it. They says that the level is still ok....between full and low. They told me to come back again in 1000 km...My warranty is about to expire and it look like they does'nt care about the problem.

I call Nissan Canada and they said that I have to deal with the dealer and they can't do nothing and they cannot find the nissan technical bulletin about the oil problem. Is there someone in Canada that have the same problem and got a new engine after oil consumption test????
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by joce845
Hi I'm from Canada, montreal and have a 350z 2005 35th ann. with oil consumption problem, but the dealer says it's normal. I start a oil consumption test at the dealer. After 1000 km I check the oil and it drop 7 mm. I went to the dealer but they don't even mesure it. They says that the level is still ok....between full and low. They told me to come back again in 1000 km...My warranty is about to expire and it look like they does'nt care about the problem.

I call Nissan Canada and they said that I have to deal with the dealer and they can't do nothing and they cannot find the nissan technical bulletin about the oil problem. Is there someone in Canada that have the same problem and got a new engine after oil consumption test????
Print out the TSB and take it to the dealer and tell them you will be getting a lawyer and see if they help you. If your car is stock with no mods then they are definitely trying to screw you.
Or try a different dealership.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
06CPV35

I believe the TSB covers 'North America'. Nissan aka NNA = Nissan North America.

Canada is in North America.

G/L
Old 12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
06CPV35

Anyone have blue/white smoke come out of exhaust and engine sound like a lawn mower for a few seconds on start-up with these TSB replacements? Mine just did this morning, but seems ok now after another start-up.

My oil level was fine and my G sat for a few days in garage. My replacement only has a little over 15K miles on it. It scares me this replacement is going South on me a different way.

Anyone else? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
raj350z

My 05 touring is on it second engine, the first engine was one of the first z in Texas to have oil consumption and now i'm at 36,000 miles, it starting to do the black smoke thing. I'm have some oil consumption and really it bad if I push the car hard for the day. I'm first going to try the tune up and clean out the plenum and put a spacer on. I have a oil catch can (cusco). But it off the car right now. Maybe after this I hope it go away for a little while and hold out until I get the new cosworth long block end of next year. I HOPE
Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
06CPV35

Dispite what randomly happen to mine recently mentioned, just did an OCI and sample is off for analysis.

My TSB replacements OC during that oil service and now 16K mi on V2.

Miles / OC
1180 / 4mm
2109 / 7mm
3166 / 10mm
4000 / 12mm
4854 / 18mm

My OC is much less from OCI prior to this one.
Someday I'll compile my V2's whole OC history for you all.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 12-12-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added: compile history...
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
jdmeg21

Hey guys,
I'm in the process with Infiniti of Monteclair. I've had the OC test done 3 times now. The car has been 2qt low on 2 of the test. The dealer told me it failed the OC test. It was a saturday that I went in, so the service manager wasn't there, just the "service consultant".

He told me that he would foward all the paperwork to the service manager, but then asked me if I had reciepts for my oil changes. I told him I didn't keep copies of the reciept and that I did them myself. They he made this worried face and said Infinti would be asking for that.

So on Monday I called the service manager and told him if he got the paperwork. He said he did and gave me the same "do you have reciepts" thing. I told him no, and that I didn't know I had to keep receipts for my oil changes. He said he would foward the information to infiniti, but that they would ask for the reciepts. I then told him I have a copy of the TSB and that it has 2 protocols, 1 - if you have documentation of oil changes and 1 if you don't have receipts. I told him that it does not state anywhere on the TSB that you have to have reciepts.

So now my questions are...

1. How long does it take to get an answer from Infiniti about the new motor?
2. Are they gonna deny me because I don't have documentation for the oil changes?
3. What other information can I show the dealer? I can hunt down receipts from the stores but I just have to call around cuz i don't always by from the same place.

my car has 25000 miles, and was purchased as a lease buy back from Infiniti about a month and half ago.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
jdmeg21

Oh and where are you guys going to get the OC test done? If this dealer tries to deny me can I go to another dealership like Riverside Infiniti, cuz I here they are replacing motor without much hassle.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Boogshag

So I just got done repairing a salvaged MT 06 Z with 32k miles, and the CEL has come on a few times lately. The first time it was a misfire from cylinder 4. Reset it and it hasnt reoccurred. The 2nd one (most recent, about 40 miles ago) was code P0420, Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1), meaning the passenger side cat is bad or possibly an oxygen sensor or 2. Could these problems be possible signs of an OC motor, or are likely not related problems? Im gonna keep an eye on the oil level. Changed it about 100 miles ago or so but havent checked it yet since its so recent.

So, did anyone have those CEL problems before they knew their engine was bad? Thanks for the help
Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmeg21
Oh and where are you guys going to get the OC test done? If this dealer tries to deny me can I go to another dealership like Riverside Infiniti, cuz I here they are replacing motor without much hassle.
I had my oil changed at the dealer. I got the OC test at the same dealer.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:02 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by jdmeg21
Hey guys,
I'm in the process with Infiniti of Monteclair. I've had the OC test done 3 times now. The car has been 2qt low on 2 of the test. The dealer told me it failed the OC test. It was a saturday that I went in, so the service manager wasn't there, just the "service consultant".

He told me that he would foward all the paperwork to the service manager, but then asked me if I had reciepts for my oil changes. I told him I didn't keep copies of the reciept and that I did them myself. They he made this worried face and said Infinti would be asking for that.

So on Monday I called the service manager and told him if he got the paperwork. He said he did and gave me the same "do you have reciepts" thing. I told him no, and that I didn't know I had to keep receipts for my oil changes. He said he would foward the information to infiniti, but that they would ask for the reciepts. I then told him I have a copy of the TSB and that it has 2 protocols, 1 - if you have documentation of oil changes and 1 if you don't have receipts. I told him that it does not state anywhere on the TSB that you have to have reciepts.

So now my questions are...

1. How long does it take to get an answer from Infiniti about the new motor?
2. Are they gonna deny me because I don't have documentation for the oil changes?
3. What other information can I show the dealer? I can hunt down receipts from the stores but I just have to call around cuz i don't always by from the same place.

my car has 25000 miles, and was purchased as a lease buy back from Infiniti about a month and half ago.
PM replied. G/L

Originally Posted by Boogshag
So I just got done repairing a salvaged MT 06 Z with 32k miles, and the CEL has come on a few times lately. The first time it was a misfire from cylinder 4. Reset it and it hasnt reoccurred. The 2nd one (most recent, about 40 miles ago) was code P0420, Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1), meaning the passenger side cat is bad or possibly an oxygen sensor or 2. Could these problems be possible signs of an OC motor, or are likely not related problems? Im gonna keep an eye on the oil level. Changed it about 100 miles ago or so but havent checked it yet since its so recent.

So, did anyone have those CEL problems before they knew their engine was bad? Thanks for the help
My original burner never threw a CEL. I could see the 02s and cats becoming fouled if OC was bad enough over time though. Agree, keep an eye on your oil level that's your best bet to confirm. Heavy black soot in tailpipes is another indicator.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion