Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
IbarraZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW ! THIS IS NOW BEING MY 3RD TIME WITH OIL CONSUMPTION !

i have had 2 engines already, and i now have to continue putting oil in my Z !

i mean if this is my 3rd time and i have to get another engine that is f'n ridiculous. theres no way !!

what do i do? help... hahaha

Last edited by IbarraZ33; 02-24-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 PM
echelonphoto

Default to Boogshag

I am also the owner of a salvage car...it is an 06 G35 MT. I really don't use that much oil, but my engine is making tapping noises. I have a friend who is the parts manager at a local dealership...so I was able to get the parts to fix this car at his cost. he also researched the car history for me...there were no issues with the original owner. He also found out that my warranty was cancelled by Infinity as a result of the accident...they will not warranty salvaged vehicles...so I am in the same boat. My engine just does not feel healthy...it is noisy and does not seem to have much torque, plus that tapping noise which is pretty bad when cold....I am just wondering if we can push the issue of the TSB and get coverage for this particular problem. My car only had 14 k on it when I bought and I have driven it all year for a total of about 6K
miles. Lets pool our resources.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
diitto

Default Mystery of the TWO QUART L-H system...

Hi... A fellow forum poster over on G35driver told me there might be folks over here on the 350z side who might be able to offer me some input... I own a 2006 G35 6MT, totally stock... I bought it new and have been following the OC discussions for all of four years now... Not long after I began carefully checking the oil in my G35, I learned by many, many careful measurements (though only one was really required) that my OEM VQ35DE engine had an oil pan/dipstick arrangement where L to H on the dipstick represented not ONE QUART as it clearly is on most of these engines but is instead TWO QUARTS... I've confirmed that fact many ways but simply stated, if I dump out all the oil, change the filter, put the oil pan nut and gasket back in, add (at first) THREE quarts of oil in the five quart system, let it sit (level) for a very long time and then measure the oil, I find it at the L mark... Then I add a 4th quart, let it sit (level) and again measure the oil, I now find it half way between L and H... Then add the 5th quart, read and finally it is at the H mark... TWO QUARTS L-H, CONFIRMED... I have found one other person, also with a G35, who claims his dipstick is like mine, TWO QUARTS L-H... And I was told by a guy that he recalled seeing posts on this site that seemed to suggest the same seemingly non-standard, TWO QUART L-H systems... I've talked to a ton of folks who clearly have a ONE QUART L-H system so at best, my TWO QUART L-H system was some form of a "rev B" (my term) that Nissan came up with to try to make these engines look better... Bottom line is are there any folks here who have such a TWO QUART L-H oil pan/dipstick arrangement or do you know of such systems???

The reason it matters is because even though my car only gets about 2700 miles/quart of oil, still the way the oil consumption TSB is written (either the Infiniti or the Nissan version) my car always passes (stays in the good region)... If my exact same engine burning one quart every 2700 miles had a ONE QUART L-H dipstick, it would clearly fail the TSB... I am not pushing to get a new engine because many have told me the new engines often don't do any better than the old ones... But I am just trying to solve a mystery more than anything...

My theory about where this "rev B" oil pan/dipstick came from goes like this... Nissan realized they had engines out there on these 6MT cars that couldn't go 3750 miles (Nissan's Schedule 1 Maintenance interval) without the oil falling below the L mark (and maybe all the way off the dipstick) with many of the ONE QUART L-H systems... And perhaps they asked their engineers if these cars could function ok being down a full 2 quarts and perhaps they said yes... That might have prompted them to create a "rev B" oil pan/dipstick where a car like mine (at 2700 miles per quart but double that or 5400 miles/TWO quarts) would still clearly have oil showing above the L mark when someone brought their car in for a 3750 miles service... Smoke and mirrors but appearances are sometimes important... Now for folks doing 7500 mile service, well, they are gonna have to add oil or else... But it might just be all about marketing and appearances... A TWO QUART L-H engine LOOKS like its doing better, at least it has oil showing between L and H for more miles and for a longer time than ONE QUART systems...

So sorry for the long post... Do any of you folks have knowledge of such TWO QUART L-H systems over here on the 350Z side of the world??? Any feedback/help would be much appreciated...

thanks... bob...
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first stumbled upon my oc I was barely on the dip stick, and my car took 2 quarts of oil to fill it. Mine is a 06'. You might be on to something. Replacing a pan/stick is alot cheaper than replacing engines. You need to get some more attention to this some how. Maybe make a independent thread.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 AM
diitto

Default smog test issues anyone???

Hi... Soon my 06 will be required to be smog checked for the first time since I bought it new nearly 4 years ago... Shortly after the smog test comes due this June (I live in California) the 4 year Emissions warranty will come to an end (August). So I am curious to hear whether or not anyone has ever encountered issues having any of these higher than normal oil consumers smog tested??? Anyone?? Any feedback would be much appreciated... thanks... bob...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
06CPV35

^
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535
Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Joey_BagZ

Hey guys i need some suggestions on my OC issue, i have an 05 enthus. which shouldnt have an OC issue. but im drinking about a quart a week, the car drives fine, has great power, and i can still light up the tires, but my exhaust tips are black, the drivers side more than the pass. its very annoying, the car has about 119,000 and it feels tight, i love the car, but i worried about my motor.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Wu-Watt

Joey check the valve covers and pcv valve. Replace them and see if thats it. It should be fairly inexpensive. And if its not that then you might have a bigger prob. If you read you will find thats two flawed parts and cause the oc. Maybe have a compression test. Change oils. Are you using synthetic? If so switch to dyno.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Joey_BagZ

i was using synth when i first bought the car, but then after the issue got worse i switched to conventional. would the pcv really cause so much of a consumption issue?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 PM
NizDan

Default New engine today

Just thought I'd mention that they started replacing my base 06 6mt engine today due to oc. I will get it back tomorrow or next day. I will report results from subsequent fillings later. I was surprised how quick they agreed to replace it after the oc check, no fuss whatsoever. 52K on original motor, only 8K left on warranty.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Wu-Watt

Apparently the pvc gets blocked up and malfunctions. I just switched from Mobil1 5w30 to a dyno oil and found that in 1k miles I had little consumption at all compared to the QRT/1k miles previously. We'll see how that goes im getting it out of storage tomorrow!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
NizDan

If the pcv is at fault, why do they replace our engines? Doesn't make sense?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Wu-Watt

I didnt originally provide this information. If you read this thread you will find that most slight consumption is likely a bad PCV or valve cover/gasket. The engines that are gulping the oil have piston rings that arent seating properly, thus need to be replaced. Please read more.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 AM
ownZ

What's up guys? I'm at the dealer right now, getting my car checked for oc. Pretty sure I'm going to be getting the OK for a new block. My warranty expires at the end of the week. For the guys who got the V2, what did they do with your warranty? Did they give you another 5 years or some kind of extension. Get a motor replacement and I'm not covered for **** doesn't sound too appealing to me...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
RandyK1

Nissan told me that my new motor is covered for 2 years or 24,000 miles.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM
350zx6r

well Nissan North America offered to cover my motor for up to 100k miles. My car is at 65k miles now.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
06CPV35

Nissan treats you guys MUCH better than Infiniti. Infiniti only warranties replacements as long as your powertrain warranty (6yrs/70K miles) unless you already have extended. After that, you're on your own and they're off the hook.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 PM
ownZ

Wow. I would expect the 100000. I took it in at 53000 5yrs. I'd be screwed if it were only 24000 2 years and happened exactly like this time.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Jairen

Just got my G back from Riverside Infiniti due to oil consumption. Took only a day and a half to do the swap. Got a G37 loaner while it was there.

The tech that did my car said that they do it all the time and told me how the swap was "very easy".

My old engine drank 15mm in just 800 miles...
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM
ownZ

Got my Z back today. Day and a half also. My warranty is only for 12000 though. Some booboo. It sucks breaking her back in though. No WOT for a while....

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion