Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 PM
dmemenza

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this thread and I'm so glad I found one on my350z, as the one on g35driver, wouldn't allow me to post replies to the thread. Anyhow, I have a 06 G35 6MT. It has ~54,000 miles. I too, am concerned about the OC problem. I've explained my concerns to both Infiniti service reps and Nissan service reps and I've heard everything from oil pump being too cold (during cold weather) at startup to pump oil through the motor after the car has been sitting for a couple of days; to timing chain noises at startup. Recently, the service rep at the local Nissan dealer told me that a little oil consumption for these motors is normal and I should have nothing to worry about, especially since I change my oil at every 3,000 miles. I tried reading the oil stick myself a couple of times, but its not quite easy to read. Question: Is there a trick to reading the oil stick? Any suggestions? If you all could give any pointers on how to effectively read the oil stick, I would sincerely appreciate it!!! I'm still around the 1,000 mile range from last oil change, so I heard there is an Infiniti dealer that is supposed to be really good in my area. A little driving distance away, but if they are good, its worth it to me. I was considering giving them a phone call to discuss my concerns and to see if I could make an appointment for the oil consumption test. Thanks in advance everyone for the pointers on how to read the oil stick!!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ownZ
Wow. I would expect the 100000. I took it in at 53000 5yrs. I'd be screwed if it were only 24000 2 years and happened exactly like this time.
I always thought Nissan/Infiniti should extend warranty to 100K by default being it's a known defect with a so-called revised VQ to somewhat fix the problem. Nissan automatically gave the 06 2.5L Altima's and Sentera SE-R's 100K warranty b/c of their admitted OC issues, why not us 3.5L VQ folks automatically....
Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by dmemenza

Thanks in advance everyone for the pointers on how to read the oil stick!!
I let my mine sit overnight on level ground then pull the stick. Gives a nice line that's easier to read.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
djtrickz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I have a 35th Anni. I've done the whole OC test twice and the dealer sent me home saying that all they had to do now was send NNA a parts list to get the replacement approved. This morning they call me and say that they need my oil change records before anything can proceed. Has anyone had this requested from the dealer?

My dad was the previous owner and he can't get to the dealer until Friday. I read many pages back that the VIN could get all these records if done through the dealer. Is that true? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Wu-Watt

I had my oil changed today with Mobil1 0w40. I'll update when I see how it goes over the 5w30. On the 5w the engine was going through 1ltr per 1k miles.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djtrickz
This morning they call me and say that they need my oil change records before anything can proceed. Has anyone had this requested from the dealer?
Go to another dealer. They are jerking you around by acting like your oil change interval may have been part of the issue. It isn't, hence the TSB.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:17 AM
djtrickz

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Go to another dealer. They are jerking you around by acting like your oil change interval may have been part of the issue. It isn't, hence the TSB.
Thanks for the suggestion. They were actually more than willing to help in getting the replacement until they asked NNA for approval, but you may be right and the manager might have just gotten wind of the situation.

Regardless, I managed to pull all the records together. The new engine was approved and the dealer is just waiting on delivery.

Has anyone had their engine replacement done at Mossy Nissan Poway in CA? The guy helping me said that their dealer hasn't done too many of them and I am getting a bit worried :/
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
stu1918

Question Just bought an 06 with 98k on it could there be an OC problem?

Just bought an 06 with 98k on it and it has only one previous owner. Wondering if there could be an possible OC problem or did the previous owner get it fixed since there is so many miles on it?

Last edited by stu1918; 04-12-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
I had my oil changed today with Mobil1 0w40. I'll update when I see how it goes over the 5w30. On the 5w the engine was going through 1ltr per 1k miles.
I run 0W40 in mine to help alleviate it a bit.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 AM
rickosae

Unhappy Replacement Engine Failed OC bad

I'm at a crossroad now with my beloved 05 35th AE. I only have 44K on the car and just failed (20mm @ 1300mi) my first OC on my second engine with only 18K on the replacement V2 engine. On top of that I'm on my third transmision which is fine at the moment. First one had a bearing issue, second one was a miss-diognose by the dealer.

I have no confidence that Nissan has fixed this OC issue and that a replacement engine will correct this. I am considering a buy-back and a 370Z.

Do I get a lawer? Does anyone know of a good one in eastern PA.

Do I go to the BBB, anyone have Lemon law experience in PA.

What kind of deal should I expect?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 AM
djtrickz

Thanks for the suggestion. They were actually more than willing to help in getting the replacement until they asked NNA for approval, but you may be right and the manager might have just gotten wind of the situation.

Regardless, I managed to pull all the records together. The new engine was approved and the dealer is just waiting on delivery.

Has anyone had their engine replacement done at Mossy Nissan Poway in CA? The guy helping me said that their dealer hasn't done too many of them and I am getting a bit worried :/
Update. Engine came in last week and I just dropped off the car this morning. The service advisor was very accomodating and answered all my questions. New engine is the same part number they've been using, 10102-AC7MZ. Rental was provided and I was told that it would be done in 3 days. So far, Mossy Nissan Poway has been good contrary to old reviews that I've read. We'll see after I take back the keys on Friday.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Z-33
Banned

hey guys so i purchased by 06 350z car from california in the summer of 08 and as i drove it back to vancouver canada i noticed that the oil pan was practically empty. anyways i got the oil consumption test done (5 times) and they called me back today and nissan canada authorized the replacement of the short block. does this usually solve the issue? what doesnt get replaced since its not the replacement of the entire long block?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 AM
sundsz

I just purchased a 350Z roadster with 32K miles manufactured in 12/05. I seem to burning oil at the rate of 1/2 qt per 500 miles. What type of test will the dealer do and how do I get them to start the process? I am keeping a log. I have the extended factory warranty because the car was "certified"

Thanks
Sundsz
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
djtrickz

Hey guys. Just another update. I just picked up the car with ~22 mi. today and it is sounding pretty good other than some kind of rattling coming from under the car. I did not drop it off that way, but they said that since I had an after market exhaust, they couldn't do anything about it. i.e. they couldn't figure it out and they didn't want to spend any more time looking into it. I think that was a load of crap, but I just took the hit and will just go under it tomorrow and look myself. I'm pretty sure it was from the new engine install and they just didn't check exhaust clearances before tightening everything down. This is with Mossy Nissan Poway in California.

My car took longer than the 3 days I was quoted, but they paid for a rental, so that was a little above and beyond.

Warranty wise, they only gave me 1 year. I guess Nissan has figured out that 1 year is all it will take until it starts having problems again :P

Last edited by djtrickz; 04-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
djtrickz

Originally Posted by sundsz
I just purchased a 350Z roadster with 32K miles manufactured in 12/05. I seem to burning oil at the rate of 1/2 qt per 500 miles. What type of test will the dealer do and how do I get them to start the process? I am keeping a log. I have the extended factory warranty because the car was "certified"

Thanks
Sundsz
The minimum test they will do is described in the first post. All the forms and what procedures they have to follow are there. Please read to get a better understanding. On my first test though, the dealer took a while and they said that they had to do a compression test as well among other things. To start the process just tell them that you are having oil consumption issues and would like to start oil consumption testing. Just tell them your story. They will check it and depending on what they find, you will either come back for another test, or they will order in an engine right away.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:48 PM
djtrickz

Originally Posted by Z-33
hey guys so i purchased by 06 350z car from california in the summer of 08 and as i drove it back to vancouver canada i noticed that the oil pan was practically empty. anyways i got the oil consumption test done (5 times) and they called me back today and nissan canada authorized the replacement of the short block. does this usually solve the issue? what doesnt get replaced since its not the replacement of the entire long block?
It may fix the issue it may not. Some people with long block replacement still have issues. A long block is more complete while a short block will require parts from the old engine. Long blocks are more expensive as a purchase, but short blocks are more expensive regarding labour.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 PM
06CPV35

My car took longer than the 3 days I was quoted, but they paid for a rental, so that was a little above and beyond.

Warranty wise, they only gave me 1 year. I guess Nissan has figured out that 1 year is all it will take until it starts having problems again :P
Don't know about Nissan, but with any warranty repair/replacement Infiniti is required to supply a loaner at no cost.

Engine warranty: Should be the rest of your factory powertrain warranty. Factory warranty is factory warranty...period. If that's almost expired, then giving you a year was very nice of them. Most re-manned/rebuilds are only 1yr/12K mi anyway.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 04-29-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
djtrickz

Unfortunately, Nissan's warranty does not include rental unless the Security+Plus plan was bought. That's what I was scared of when I was reading through this thread because some people were wondering too. So as far as Nissan, it's just up to the dealer's courtesy I guess.

Regarding the engine warranty, new parts usually have 1 year as well, but I was just hoping for another 5 years like some people have been getting since it's a new part on the drivetrain. The HEART at that. lol.

Just for reference, they gave my radiator fan motor an extra 4 years without even looking at it or changing it. They even sent me a letter!

edit* and update on the exhaust rattle. The hanger on the driverside muffler was actually coming off and the resonators were hitting the oem rear brace. It sounded like a mini jack hammer at around 1500-2000 RPMs. Slipped it back on and strung a pipe clamp on the hanger close to the rear sway bar and everything is well. Might just get some new hangers soon. I really hope that the person that took off and put back on my exhaust is not the same person that put the new engine in the car :P

Last edited by djtrickz; 04-30-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:47 PM
POWUH
Banned

getting engine replaced today , dropped the car off earlier , question is , the guy doing my paper work said id have to pay 50 dollars for a deductibable. Has anyone paid anything before?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:02 PM
djtrickz

Originally Posted by ashan723
I just got my v2 this past saturday and it is running just great. I had to go through the warranty I bought when I purchased the vehicle (I'm a second owner). Just had to pay for the fifty bucks deductible. I am going to break in my engine suggested by the motoman from the first page of the topic. I was trying to break in suggested by the owner's manual and past recommendation, but I am going with the motoman. Seems to make sense and more fun. I can't wait to rip it. I didn't get to read through this entire post, but I was wondering how many miles should I break in my engine for?
I had to pay for an oil change when I started the oil consumption test, but not $50. They also refunded me credit in the system when I got my car back. Ask them why. I'm curious also.

edit* In ashan723 situation, it looks like the deductible was being charged by a third party warranty, not Nissan's.

Last edited by djtrickz; 04-30-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion