Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
jbh1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diitto
Hi... A fellow forum poster over on G35driver told me there might be folks over here on the 350z side who might be able to offer me some input... I own a 2006 G35 6MT, totally stock... I bought it new and have been following the OC discussions for all of four years now... Not long after I began carefully checking the oil in my G35, I learned by many, many careful measurements (though only one was really required) that my OEM VQ35DE engine had an oil pan/dipstick arrangement where L to H on the dipstick represented not ONE QUART as it clearly is on most of these engines but is instead TWO QUARTS... I've confirmed that fact many ways but simply stated, if I dump out all the oil, change the filter, put the oil pan nut and gasket back in, add (at first) THREE quarts of oil in the five quart system, let it sit (level) for a very long time and then measure the oil, I find it at the L mark... Then I add a 4th quart, let it sit (level) and again measure the oil, I now find it half way between L and H... Then add the 5th quart, read and finally it is at the H mark... TWO QUARTS L-H, CONFIRMED... I have found one other person, also with a G35, who claims his dipstick is like mine, TWO QUARTS L-H... And I was told by a guy that he recalled seeing posts on this site that seemed to suggest the same seemingly non-standard, TWO QUART L-H systems... I've talked to a ton of folks who clearly have a ONE QUART L-H system so at best, my TWO QUART L-H system was some form of a "rev B" (my term) that Nissan came up with to try to make these engines look better... Bottom line is are there any folks here who have such a TWO QUART L-H oil pan/dipstick arrangement or do you know of such systems???

The reason it matters is because even though my car only gets about 2700 miles/quart of oil, still the way the oil consumption TSB is written (either the Infiniti or the Nissan version) my car always passes (stays in the good region)... If my exact same engine burning one quart every 2700 miles had a ONE QUART L-H dipstick, it would clearly fail the TSB... I am not pushing to get a new engine because many have told me the new engines often don't do any better than the old ones... But I am just trying to solve a mystery more than anything...

My theory about where this "rev B" oil pan/dipstick came from goes like this... Nissan realized they had engines out there on these 6MT cars that couldn't go 3750 miles (Nissan's Schedule 1 Maintenance interval) without the oil falling below the L mark (and maybe all the way off the dipstick) with many of the ONE QUART L-H systems... And perhaps they asked their engineers if these cars could function ok being down a full 2 quarts and perhaps they said yes... That might have prompted them to create a "rev B" oil pan/dipstick where a car like mine (at 2700 miles per quart but double that or 5400 miles/TWO quarts) would still clearly have oil showing above the L mark when someone brought their car in for a 3750 miles service... Smoke and mirrors but appearances are sometimes important... Now for folks doing 7500 mile service, well, they are gonna have to add oil or else... But it might just be all about marketing and appearances... A TWO QUART L-H engine LOOKS like its doing better, at least it has oil showing between L and H for more miles and for a longer time than ONE QUART systems...

So sorry for the long post... Do any of you folks have knowledge of such TWO QUART L-H systems over here on the 350Z side of the world??? Any feedback/help would be much appreciated...

thanks... bob...
My 06 is like this as well. Confirmed by changing my own oil.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
dankcei

Does anyone recommend a dealer to go to in the Atlanta area with this issue? I am going through a quart about every 800-900 miles. Any help would be great.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dankcei
Does anyone recommend a dealer to go to in the Atlanta area with this issue? I am going through a quart about every 800-900 miles. Any help would be great.
Go to your regional section for regional questions -
https://my350z.com/forum/north-america-87/
Old 05-07-2010, 04:48 AM
dankcei

Originally Posted by thekinn
Go to your regional section for regional questions -
https://my350z.com/forum/north-america-87/
Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
digunderground

ok, now im getting a little pissed off.. I had 2 motor replacements in California at an amazing dealership and now im living in FL and its failing again!! I think im screwed because I am now at 42K mi and past the 5 year mark on the car. I have contacted NNA to see what they will do and they have opened a ticket etc etc.. Does anyone out there have any advice in this situation ?

come on nissan!! you have replaced the motor twice, and now its failing again and all you say is "sorry its past the warranty".. seriously wtf.. hahah

thanks in advance for any help !!

-DIG
Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM
leakyfawcet

My 2006 only has 17,000 miles on it, the motor has been replaced twice now, and I just started my third oil consumption test. It is burning about 1/2 a quart every 1,100 miles. It sucks that I've had to break it in 4,500 miles almost 1/3 of the total miles on the car....

Hopefully I can come to some kind of agreement with Nissan, so I don't have to deal with another engine replacement that I KNOW is going to burn oil.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry, no suggestions.. I may be in the same boat in a few months though.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
cruZin163

After my first motor replacement, I had an oil consumption test again. When the result was that it's consuming at a regular rate, I spoke to BBB and said I was not satisfied. Nissan corp offered me 100k extended warranty and $1k. I took it, it's better than nothing. My car seems to be doing fine now.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 AM
leakyfawcet

I think my next step is going to be to contact the BBB. It's getting to the point (I'm on my 3rd motor with only 17,000miles) that I was debating on just saying screw it and living with the issue. My question is; what kind of problems COULD result over time if I drive this car until it has over 100k miles while it burns oil??
Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Steve-O Z33

Originally Posted by leakyfawcet
I think my next step is going to be to contact the BBB. It's getting to the point (I'm on my 3rd motor with only 17,000miles) that I was debating on just saying screw it and living with the issue. My question is; what kind of problems COULD result over time if I drive this car until it has over 100k miles while it burns oil??
I would think none as long as it doesn't get worse and you keep the levels maintained.

My car is hit or miss with this. Sometimes, oil is gone and other times, I go several oil change intervals without any burning. I find a correlation to how often I go WOT. The harder I am on the car, the more I have to top off. Usually, I may add 1/2 qt. per interval, though. I don't really deem that out of the ordinary.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 AM
Armed Ferret

Disregard, looks like I'm boned.

Last edited by Armed Ferret; 05-31-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got the approval from Nissan for the replacement of the long block assembly under warranty! Can't wait. They said they should have it in by early next week. Hopefully late next week I get the car back!

Can someone clarify for me though, when they said replacing the long block assembly, does this include the cams, valves, springs, all the cylinder head components as well???
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfregeolle
Just got the approval from Nissan for the replacement of the long block assembly under warranty! Can't wait. They said they should have it in by early next week. Hopefully late next week I get the car back!

Can someone clarify for me though, when they said replacing the long block assembly, does this include the cams, valves, springs, all the cylinder head components as well???
Yes
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
nomy

Default Help!

Hey Everyone,

I fell in love with the 2005 35th anniversary model and was going to get it inspected this friday by nissan and possibly buy it, but now after reading this forum i don't know anymore.

The car has about 65 km (canadian car) and looks beautiful. However, the tires need to be replaced. He had already replaced the back tires, and the front have about 30% left. Surprised that he has to replace the tires already...

I called up Nissan Dealership and they told me that when the 1st owner (there are two owners for this car) brought the car in 2008, there was a ticking noice coming from the engine, but after they had replaced the oil that noise had stopped. She had also said there may be an oil consumption issue with this car. I quizzed teh guy selling the car and he told me that he puts in a quart of oil every 6-7 weeks.

He wants about $23k for this car, but even if i take it in for an inspection, they won't be able to tell me if its burning oil.

Any ideas? Should i just stay away from this car and not bother with the inspection?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dropping off my 2006 ZR tomorrow to have the engine replaced - 25K on the clock.

BTW - Meadowlands Nissan in NJ, no muss, no fuss. Brought the car in last Monday after 1000 mile consumption test, dealer called me yesterday and said the motor arrived.

Gonna ask if synthetic can be used from new, or if they use break-in oil.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 AM
BrownDogg

I have a 2006 Dayton Blue Z. It has been burning oil and I am about to take it into the dealer for this TSB.

Does it matter if I dont have my stock intake? Or will my injen short ram be ok to leave on there. I read through a great deal of the pages in this super long thread but did not find anything about intake
Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownDogg
I have a 2006 Dayton Blue Z. It has been burning oil and I am about to take it into the dealer for this TSB.

Does it matter if I dont have my stock intake? Or will my injen short ram be ok to leave on there. I read through a great deal of the pages in this super long thread but did not find anything about intake
Technically, the dealer would have to prove that the damage was caused by your intake. But in reality dealers react differently - one may not care about the intake but another may try to blame you.

I would ask around about the dealer you intend on taking the car to - if you find that they are reputable I would not worry so much. If they are hardliners I might look elsewhere.

If you need some ammo regarding warranties and modifications - google Magnuson-Moss Act and start reading.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
BrownDogg

Thanks for the reply. Makes total sense. I asked one local dealership here in town (Riverview Nissan in Tempe, Arizona) and they had no clue about the TSB for this so I wont be going to them.

I will try and find a stock intake and do some reading on that Magnuson-Moss Act.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask to see the service records to see if the motor has been replaced or not.
Thats all I got!

Originally Posted by nomy
Hey Everyone,

I fell in love with the 2005 35th anniversary model and was going to get it inspected this friday by nissan and possibly buy it, but now after reading this forum i don't know anymore.

The car has about 65 km (canadian car) and looks beautiful. However, the tires need to be replaced. He had already replaced the back tires, and the front have about 30% left. Surprised that he has to replace the tires already...

I called up Nissan Dealership and they told me that when the 1st owner (there are two owners for this car) brought the car in 2008, there was a ticking noice coming from the engine, but after they had replaced the oil that noise had stopped. She had also said there may be an oil consumption issue with this car. I quizzed teh guy selling the car and he told me that he puts in a quart of oil every 6-7 weeks.

He wants about $23k for this car, but even if i take it in for an inspection, they won't be able to tell me if its burning oil.

Any ideas? Should i just stay away from this car and not bother with the inspection?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrownDogg

I had a dealer break my ***** about my intake. Actually he told me under the table to not try to make a claim with the intake on, or they might flag the car.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion