Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:02 PM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bofa
Here we go again... sorry to hear it. You should be letting Nissan add the oil so it's documented.
I'm having the oil changed out at about 1000 miles anyways. I wanted to see how far down it was. It was down more today after about 100 miles. I added 1.5 qts and believe it is full now. One difference though is that the oil is so damn clean it is really hard to tell exactly where it is.

I have to think the dealer screwed up though. That would be 6 qts in 1000 miles. No way could one lose oil that fast unless this was the biggest POS in history.

Now that I know the where it is (or at least close enough), I can track it better. Then, I go to the dealership and we we go through the fun all over again.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by dbasal
I'm having the oil changed out at about 1000 miles anyways. I wanted to see how far down it was. It was down more today after about 100 miles. I added 1.5 qts and believe it is full now. One difference though is that the oil is so damn clean it is really hard to tell exactly where it is.

I have to think the dealer screwed up though. That would be 6 qts in 1000 miles. No way could one lose oil that fast unless this was the biggest POS in history.

Now that I know the where it is (or at least close enough), I can track it better. Then, I go to the dealership and we we go through the fun all over again.
wait this is on your new motor dbasal?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by RBlover69
how many quarts does thie revup need doesnt the 287 only need 4 . and the revup 5
No, both runs 5 quarts
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
wait this is on your new motor dbasal?
Yes it is.

[Edit] Checking the oil level at night allowed me to easily see where the level was after adding 1.5 qts. It was a couple tick marks below the H. Now I shall see what happens since I have a baseline.

Last edited by dbasal; 05-22-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:24 AM
EFLoW

Another 06 here with oil consumption problems. I have an appointment this friday with my local dealer to start the whole process.

This Thread has been beyond valuable to me. Thanks to dbasel and everyone else for the info.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to say or what not to say when I drop off my car, please feel free to pm me.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan

Just got off the phone with NNA. I was told that the Japanese engines would not be in until the end of the month and in limited quantities. Still no firm date!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
MechaGodzilla

I thought all the 350Z were made in Japan. What do you mean by Japanese engine.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by reboot
I thought all the 350Z were made in Japan. What do you mean by Japanese engine.
The folks at Nissan, for some reason, are making a big deal out of these "specially desgined, hand-built in Japan" engines. From my research some VQs are built in Tennessee, but I am not sure if this would include Z engines. I was not able to find that specific information.

As you mentioned though, it is my belief that all Zs are built in Japan.

I have one of these "specially desgined, hand-built in Japan" engines in my car now. We will see if it makes any difference. I give it 30% chance.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 AM
aren21

you would think a car company that has trained and experienced people building/engineering cars just migghtttt know how to build an engine that doesnt consume oil. And if they do build defected engines, I would think they would know what the problem is and fix it asap. Makes me wonder is nissan knows what theyre doing. Sorry guys just had to vent.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by aren21
you would think a car company that has trained and experienced people building/engineering cars just migghtttt know how to build an engine that doesnt consume oil. And if they do build defected engines, I would think they would know what the problem is and fix it asap. Makes me wonder is nissan knows what theyre doing. Sorry guys just had to vent.
You would think, but there has always been something that Nissan has screwed up. Not little things eiher.

I think that is why bofa was saying he went for the repurchase instead of replacement. People are already reporting issues with the 07 that should not exist in a car that has been out this long.

Nissan has also made a big deal about the "hand-built" replacement engines. Well, the way I look at it is if the robot could not build it to a proper tolerance level, how the hell is a human going to do that. Wasn't the main reason Japanese build quality was considered better than US quality was that they were able to build to tighter tolerances thanks to the technology advantage in their plants? Makes you wonder.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
RBlover69

350zs engines are assembled and built in 2 plants in japan. Nothing is built on it on us soil. The car was designed in california produced in japan. however this is not the same for all vq fwd vehicles. But the 350z is a 100 % japanese car designed by a englishmen and a team in california (funny huh . Its chassis is def the best part of a Z. But engine wise, i was also explained how a limited production amount of revups are being produced on a claim bases im on the list aswell. My arrives in june. Keep us posted on it. Supposedly arnt there new pistons and rings that are diff from the current revup. This is what NNA and the Tech and the Manager of Service told me.

Last edited by RBlover69; 05-22-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

For the record the the 2005 G35 6MT has the 06 RevUp 350Z engine...I read....back on page 18 or so...that someone asked about G35's...well my first engine blew and had no smoke or oild dripping BECAUSE THERE WASNT ANY IN THERE....(Mobile 1 full syn) Now the new longblock at 1700 mile with OEM oil is half a quart low...seeking the death penatly to Infiniti beacuse of this 40K mistake I made...totally unacceptable by all standards of driving, customer service, engineering, and most of all safety.

I bud of mine had an engine blow because of what he thought was the Greddy TT setup..after selling his TT and accessories..losing his azz he now has a new VQ that guess what....consumes massive amounts of oil.

I am done. My civic with 160K miles didnt chew oil like this 40K mistake.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 05-22-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 AM
arejohn

Half a qt in 17k. Thats 1 qt between oil changes. If you did not start with a big problem this would not be a problem at all. Get over it. Life is too short. So was your test duration.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Mid117

Originally Posted by Mid117
I'm currently parting out my '06 rev-up, I'm also getting the oil consumption

Next week I'm bringin it to the dealer, let's see what kind of BS they spew out.
ok, so today the dealer changed my oil, to test it....let the oil-consuming begin.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stay on them....

Originally Posted by Mid117
ok, so today the dealer changed my oil, to test it....let the oil-consuming begin.
Well Customer Affairs, Infiniti called and said that they will not just buy back my car from me.

I gave them the option to save money.

Currently I have a 7/yr 70,000 mile warrantee.
Currently I have 43900 miles with 1700 on the new long block.
so 43900 minus 70,000 equals 26,100 miles until my warranty is up.

I drove 27,000 miles just last year which is about 2200 a month!!!

So, new engines after 3 bad oil consumptions checks equals 9 more motors until my warrantee is up....

The longblocks cost about 7500 before labor. 7500 times 9 equals $67,500 before we add any labor cost! This is not ideal from any business stand or point.

Oil consumpt check said OK on my paper work however the topped off my oil.....They didnt document it, but I am....Id hate to sue the dealership too. Bad is bad, own up NNA and accept defeat... this product (rev-up 300hp motor) sucks! FYI: if the reflash takes us back to 287, thats not what we paid for....I paid for a 300 HP motor! I am getting it dynoed to see the HP. It better be 297 at the crank!

I dont want to trade it, because I dont want ANY ONE ON EARTH, to feel what its like to blow a motor on a fairly new N/A car. TOTALLY SUCKS.

I have filed with the BBB as of 1243pm today!:icon20:

Good luck, and keep the post coming...maybe we should consolidate a list of who has had issues: blown engines, new long blocks, new long blocks with issues list? Just a thought...more ammo to fight these smart engineers who know that they have a very bad product.

I pray to God that an engine doesnt lock up on someone going around a corner on a mountain or something...Nissan will have their AZZZ handed to them then.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 05-23-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
turbotoy

Default NNA gets a stay of execution so to speak

Just talked with NNA. They said they are putting my name on one of the engines from Japan. He also said they will be in middle of June. We will see! They are supposed to have everything done by the 6th of June, as per my BBB claim, but I think I am going to give them a stay.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
MrOrtega

Default 06 oil burner

Originally Posted by turbotoy
Just talked with NNA. They said they are putting my name on one of the engines from Japan. He also said they will be in middle of June. We will see! They are supposed to have everything done by the 6th of June, as per my BBB claim, but I think I am going to give them a stay.
I too just spoke to NNA...today. This was my first time talking to someone who could discuss the Rev-up issues. They said NNA is not willing to do a buy-back at this time.

I told him that I prefer the buy-back route, and that I'm now working with a lemon-law attorney.

He said they are willing to replace the engine...he said that 10 engine swaps have been done so far...he did not know the part/model of the replacement engines, or how soon they could start my engine swap…if I agree to go that route.

I've asked him to get me with the part/model and how soon they could perform an engine swap.

Now waiting for the attorney to return my call…more to come.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 AM
turbotoy

Call the BBB!!! They are great!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:19 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by turbotoy
Call the BBB!!! They are great!!!
+1

Since he has an attorney working for him, he should be fine.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
MrOrtega

Originally Posted by MrOrtega
I too just spoke to NNA...today. This was my first time talking to someone who could discuss the Rev-up issues. They said NNA is not willing to do a buy-back at this time.

I told him that I prefer the buy-back route, and that I'm now working with a lemon-law attorney.

He said they are willing to replace the engine...he said that 10 engine swaps have been done so far...he did not know the part/model of the replacement engines, or how soon they could start my engine swap…if I agree to go that route.

I've asked him to get me with the part/model and how soon they could perform an engine swap.

Now waiting for the attorney to return my call…more to come.
Questions:

Have any of you, or anyone you know received one of these new engines from Japan?
Was the new engine an exact replacement, i.e. Rev-up engine?
Did the new engine burn oil?
Did it solve the issue?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion