Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luvZcar
sorry to hear that as its the same story for me, my motor replaced at 6.5 k and now at just over 13k I'm waiting for a new motor AGAIN hope all goes good for you...keep us posted
Was you replaced motor at 6.5K a V2?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Here is the latest stat's

It would make it easier for me to collect the data and update the spreadsheet, if the following format is used when posting your stats.

Thanks in advance

If you are new to the stat list, please provide the part # of your engine to verify if your engine is a V2 or V1.

Template:

So Far So Good – Still Pending
Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

OC: quarts per 1k miles: (please convert to 1k miles)
Engine Install Date:
Mileage on Engine: (new installed engine, not total mileage on vehicle)
Type/Brand/Weight:

Attachment 166936
Success at 4000 miles, so far so good - still pending ... I need one, if not 2 more oil changes with minimal consumption to feel it's a success

quarts per 1K = just over 1/8 quart ... minimal
engine installed end of Sept. '07 if memory serves me correct
mileage on engine = 4200
oil changed today
penzoil 10w30
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
dbasal

Thanks for the update, you have the most miles on the V2 and the results are encouraging. 0.3 qt per 1k mi (less than 1/3 qt) which calculates out to an average of 1qt 1/8 per oil change of 3750 mi. Keep us posted on your next move.

Guys,

I want to take a moment to recognize a couple guys that have been very instrumental in making this thread a success from the start. We all should take a moment and reflect back to say a year ago when everyone had no place to go for answers on the oil consumption issue, everyday new and different tales were popping up from the dealers and NNA, there was kaos, disbelief, confusion, frustration, anger, disappointment, stress, marriages were torn apart, (owner and car) brother against brother, those were the days. These guys put everything into perspective so today their time here has given the rest of us some ground work to base our case against NNA and the dealers.

dbasal and bofa are the godfathers of this topic. Their help, support and advice have been truly valuable for all of us in dealing with NNA and our dealers. Without their experiences dealing with NNA and sharing it with the community, this topic discussion would be nothing less than a be-chin thread. I would have to say this thread has been and still is the best thread on this site where everyone is polite and helpful to all. No thanks to dbasal and bofa for setting the tone.

A real asset to this community!

Thanks
-Curtis
I think the most encouraging thing is that there has been no geometric increase in oil loss from 1k to 2k and so on. That was the biggest issue with the v1. The first 1k would be minimal, but then would drastically increase as each 1k went along, eventually being down about 2.5qt by the 3k mark.

As a side note, this has all been on plain old regular oil.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 PM
ART_

WOW, took over a day on and off to read all 95+ pages I guess I should consider myself lucky not only because my Z is 2003 but also because I don't have to deal with all the crap dealers put the customers thru.

Here is my take on this whole Oil Burning issue:

A new car should burn very minimal amounts of oil (unless it's a rotary). I have a 2005 Mazda 3 (Aluminum engine like Z) with 30.000km and it burned 0.1 Quarts of Mobile1 5W20 in 4500 miles with oil change every 7000miles. IF a car burns more than 1 quart of oil between oil changes it has some engine issues more than that and it's a major failure.

I can't believe that when dealer finds 1q of oil left during oil change they just refill oil and tell owners to keep an eye and come back later. If engine looses more than 50% of oil and is used on continues basis first things that will start to wear out are:

Top End - Valve Train - Valve Seals - Cam journals
Oil Pump
Bottom End - Piston Rings
And finally main/rod bearings

1q of oil left means your engine is garbage, no testing required, toss it away, it's done. Also when burning that much oil O2 sensors get plugged as well as CATs.

I am very impressed on how many owners are actually taking their time and going thru all the hurdles of investigating/worrying and getting a "new" motor without a guarantee that's it's a final fix. A new car should be enjoyed, I would just return the car and get the money back and move on.

This really puts Nissan in a bad spot light, basically when you're buying a Z chances are you will be left with a car that has chipping paint, burns lots of oil, has broken tranny, broken clutch and power windows If you keen on having a Z even after all the troubles I say get $$$ back and buy 2007 model.

Art

PS: I've checked local Auto listings after reading this thread and found 68% of Z for sale were 2006, I wonder why!

Last edited by ART_; 11-06-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
luvZcar

Originally Posted by antennahead
Was you replaced motor at 6.5K a V2?
Naw pretty sure it was a v1 because they replaced it late 06 and from my under standing the v2 was not out yet, my service manager did tell me that the replacement engine did have new rings from a differant supplier and it was suppose to be the fix, but low and behold it burns oil still ,so I'm on the list to recieve a new motor and am at least hopeing for the v2 because they gave me a long story about how there is even a new motor in the works and I don't know what to believe, but when the new motor gets here I will be looking for the part number ofcourse and will compare it to what we know to be true and present in this thread
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 AM
luvZcar

Success at 4000 miles, so far so good - still pending ... I need one, if not 2 more oil changes with minimal consumption to feel it's a success

mileage on engine = 4200
oil changed today
penzoil 10w30
congrats on your success, things are looking good for you!!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM
98sr20ve

mileage on engine = 4200
oil changed today
penzoil 10w30
I get about 1/2 a stick on the dipstick per 3500 miles. I think thats about the same. My engine is at 15000 miles and never been replaced. So I would say yours sounds normal so far.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:02 PM
antennahead

Naw pretty sure it was a v1 because they replaced it late 06 and from my under standing the v2 was not out yet, my service manager did tell me that the replacement engine did have new rings from a differant supplier and it was suppose to be the fix, but low and behold it burns oil still ,so I'm on the list to recieve a new motor and am at least hopeing for the v2 because they gave me a long story about how there is even a new motor in the works and I don't know what to believe, but when the new motor gets here I will be looking for the part number ofcourse and will compare it to what we know to be true and present in this thread
Well, my V2 as you can see is doing good so far, so if you get one it should fix the consumption problem.

John
Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by MoJ
Manufactured 02/06
22k miles

Due for an oil change and the level is 1/3 below full.

This is normal/to be expected for a properly functioning engine - correct?
How many miles on the current oil change interval?
1/3 below the “H” mark on dipstick, figuring between the H and L mark there is 1-1.5 qrts, therefore if it’s at the L mark it would be 1-1.5 qrts low. Yours translates to just a hair under ¼ qrt low. If this is on a 3k mi plus oil change interval, then you are looking good. No concern, just keep monitoring it every 500-1k mi, per oil change.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by hieu
hey guys. I got a new engine at about 8 K and now at 15 K this one is buring too. I am on the consumption test again at West Covina Nissan. I'll fill you guys in on what happens
Sorry to hear about the continuing OC issue; please provide a little info and I will add you to the stats list.

New to the stat list, please provide the part # of your engine to verify if your engine is a V2 or V1. Unless you know for a fact it’s a V2 or V1.

Template:

So Far So Good – Still Pending
Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

OC: quarts per 1k miles: (please convert to 1k miles)
Engine Install Date:
Mileage on Engine: (new installed engine, not total mileage on vehicle)
Mileage on current oil change interval of 3750 – 4000:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:
Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
ZeeForce

Zeeforce good to see you back ,how was new mexico?
Thanks, glad to be back home in NorCal. I was sick with the cold/flu the moment I arrived in Albuquerque, NM on last Monday, spent the entire week down there sick. Four walls in a hotel room is about all I saw of NM, that is once I was out of the workshop that my job sent me to attend. I am getting better, thanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
ZeeForce

mileage on engine = 4200
oil changed today
penzoil 10w30
Thank you for using the format, this really makes updating the stats spreedsheet easy.

I will change the OC per 1k from 0.17 to 0.14, figuring an 1/8 of a qrt = 0.125
Old 11-06-2007, 09:03 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by dbasal
I think the most encouraging thing is that there has been no geometric increase in oil loss from 1k to 2k and so on. That was the biggest issue with the v1. The first 1k would be minimal, but then would drastically increase as each 1k went along, eventually being down about 2.5qt by the 3k mark.

As a side note, this has all been on plain old regular oil.

That is very encouraging, both on OC and oil type used.

I also experienced the aging of the oil, to consumption on the V1. No OC the first 1k mi, then within the next 1k (note: long highway trips) 1 qrt consumption at the 2k mark. The long highway trips were determined to increase OC versus the city stop n go. I have taken a few short distance runs say 100-200 mile runs. The real test for me will be on a 500+ run.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
I get about 1/2 a stick on the dipstick per 3500 miles. I think thats about the same. My engine is at 15000 miles and never been replaced. So I would say yours sounds normal so far.
Thanks, hope it remains at this level.

John

Last edited by antennahead; 11-07-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 AM
antennahead

Thank you for using the format, this really makes updating the stats spreedsheet easy.

I will change the OC per 1k from 0.17 to 0.14, figuring an 1/8 of a qrt = 0.125

My engine was replaced mid August, where the heck did I get end of Sept. from .................. I need a vacation! lol

John
Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I was at this stage in this thread.

Still with original 06 rev-up VQ. Build date 11/05.
Within first oil service at 3,750 1qt/2400mi.
Within second oil service at 7,500 1qt/1200mi.
Within third service at 11,250 improving back to 1qt/2400mi.
Within fourth service at 15,000 up to about 1qt/3000mi.
^ All on Dealer Dino 5w-30.

Now switched to Synth: Syntec 5w-30.
Within fifth service at 20,000 1qt/2400mi.
Currently in sixth service for 25,000mi (Amsoil 0w-30) 1qt/2700mi.

I have so far...filed complaint with NHTSA-office of defects, Infiniti consumer affairs with complaint # in hand being I've been verbally denied by Dealer.
Will be performing consumption test (knowing I'll be officially denied replacement afterward), then I'll go BBB.

Never met the 1qt/1000mi or worse threshold for warranty replacement.
Any one have success with warranty replacement above NNA's warranty replacement standard?

I've read this thread from here back to post #1581 and still plugging away.
Any help on my VQ situation would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
hieu

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Wish I was at this stage in this thread.

Still with original 06 rev-up VQ. Build date 11/05.
Within first oil service at 3,750 1qt/2400mi.
Within second oil service at 7,500 1qt/1200mi.
Within third service at 11,250 improving back to 1qt/2400mi.
Within fourth service at 15,000 up to about 1qt/3000mi.
^ All on Dealer Dino 5w-30.

Now switched to Synth: Syntec 5w-30.
Within fifth service at 20,000 1qt/2400mi.
Currently in sixth service for 25,000mi (Amsoil 0w-30) 1qt/2700mi.

I have so far...filed complaint with NHTSA-office of defects, Infiniti consumer affairs with complaint # in hand being I've been verbally denied by Dealer.
Will be performing consumption test (knowing I'll be officially denied replacement afterward), then I'll go BBB.

Never met the 1qt/1000mi or worse threshold for warranty replacement.
Any one have success with warranty replacement above NNA's warranty replacement standard?

I've read this thread from here back to post #1581 and still plugging away.
Any help on my VQ situation would be greatly appreciated
I was told by my advisor that nissan originally stated that its was normal for our engines to burn some oil but then reversed it recently saying that our engines should NOT burn any oil at all.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 AM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

I was told by my advisor that nissan originally stated that its was normal for our engines to burn some oil but then reversed it recently saying that our engines should NOT burn any oil at all.
i always thought manuals burned oil compared to auto but i guess not.. subies have problem with burning oil too not as bad as Z but guess thats normal for them

i went to WCN for the second time yesterday and burned 1qt in 500miles. have to go again on 700miles and then they are going to file my problem. they told me that no one is getting new engine right now cuz some are still having the same problem.

Last edited by myZter; 11-08-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
06CPV35

Thanks for your reply...I would hope they back pedal on that original statement and now say none should burn,
being I personally know ppl with original factory rev-up VQ's (05's and 06's) that do not use any oil and never have since day one new.

If all rev-up VQ's had some OC issues, then I could accept that fact and live with it, but not all do.
So I feel I'm entitled to a rev-up VQ that doesn't burn oil period, regardless of their absurd 1qt/1000mi or worse standard which addresses an obvious serious problem.
Originally Posted by myZter
i went to WCN for the second time yesterday and burned 1qt in 500miles. have to go again on 700miles and then they are going to file my problem. they told me that no one is getting new engine right now cuz some are still having the same problem.
Heard this too over on Driver. Been patient for almost 2 years following NNA's development for a 100% fix.
Thought the version 2's were the answer, but think I've read here a small percentage still have OC with those and third rev-up VQ fix attempt is still in the works and not released yet. Once approved, you're put on a waiting list. Heard about waiting list too on Driver, but also heard about ppl getting the most recent shipment from Japan and those being used
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Mid117

Nissan North America offered me $2500 for all the trouble I've had with my Z.

Hmm....It's best for a buyback, but they should raise the $$ a little more

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion