Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM
doctorshumes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good

Good to hear at least one of the new engines is working out. Im on my first documented oil consumption test. I have noted that after an oil change, for the first 1,000 miles it does not burn that much oil (1/4 QT), then it picks up as the mileage approaches 3,000 miles to about 1QT or so.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
Handbuilt from across the pond held up after a full day of autocross...2.5 hr drive there...gave it hell for 2 hrs.....2.5hr drive to Richmond, then 2.5 hr back to DC....not a drop lost!!!!! I am almost impressed. lol There is hope in sight...for all of us, but at what cost?
Cool! Yeah, now we just need to get NISSAN to get them into every '05 6MT anniversary and every '06 6MT Z!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
seZy350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marathonhunter
Has anyone noticed, their floor on the passenger and driver seat is really hot, on long drives? I drove from SF to LA two weeks ago, and my floor was so hot it felt like it was boiler plate. Is this normal, or is this where Nissan reduced costs by not adding enough insulation.

Finally getting somewhere with Nissan , after the BBB contacted them. The NNA is a joke.

mh
yes that should be normal. that is where your cats are located. long drives and summer heat will get that thing really hot.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 AM
arejohn

my drivers seat only gets hot when I am burning oil.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
MrOrtega

Default 06 oil burner

I've engaged the Lemon Law attorney. Now the long 5 month wait for resolution.

My attorney said that NNA is not being very generous with their initial offers to settle out of court…he is working on several of these oil burner cars...he said they have offered one of his clients $3,500.00 to keep the car/current engine…I think that is a joke. He said they will usually make these small offers up front to test the water/customer.

My car just burned 1/3 Qt. in 1500 miles. Not as bad as some, but more than i'm willing to accept. I'm going for a full buy-back. Depending on how they treat me during the process, and out come, I may purchase another Nissan product...or not.

More to come…
Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by MrOrtega

My attorney said that NNA is not being very generous with their initial offers to settle out of court…he is working on several of these oil burner cars...he said they have offered one of his clients $3,500.00 to keep the car/current engine…I think that is a joke. He said they will usually make these small offers up front to test the water/customer.

My car just burned 1/3 Qt. in 1500 miles. Not as bad as some, but more than i'm willing to accept. I'm going for a full buy-back. Depending on how they treat me during the process, and out come, I may purchase another Nissan product...or not.

More to come…
Best of luck to you.

It sure is sad to have to wait for 5 months though.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:54 AM
marathonhunter

Originally Posted by seZy350
yes that should be normal. that is where your cats are located. long drives and summer heat will get that thing really hot.
thats pretty hot since it melted all of her makeup through a leather purse. I guess I made big mistake buying a black car.

lol

mh
Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
MechaGodzilla

New engine being installed Friday. Hopefully it works!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:03 PM
mmk

Angry Second time with this problem!

Year: 2006

Mileage when you noticed the problem: ~9,000, and again at ~23,500

Current Mileage: 23,500

How often/how much: How often and how much oil does it consume? 3 quarts in 5,300 miles

Remedy: Was it fixed? Engine replaced? What was the dealership's attitude towards the problem? The first time it happened was at 9,000 miles. The dealer was very cool about it, said it's happening a lot, and that the remedy was to replace the long block, which they did. Now at 23,500 miles (14.5K on the new block) my NEW engine is doing the same thing. All the sudden, my oil pressure was low, the engine was rattling, and yet the oil light did not come on. Just like the first time. The dealer said I was 3 quarts low. Now they are saying Nissan is "working on a fix" and that they should have an answer by the end of July 2007. They believe the solution ultimately will be to replace the short block.

I called Nissan USA to get more info and to make it clear to them that I do not expect to ever have to pay a dime out of pocket for this defect. I'm supposed to get a call from the "regional rep" soon to discuss it further. Obviously, my concern, as is anyone's, I imagine, is that eventually it'll be out of warranty and I'll still be having these problems. The key here will be to have Nissan extend the warranty on the new engine.

In the meantime, the dealer instructed me to just keep topping off my oil every 1500-2000 miles.

It's truly remarkable to me that this issue has been going on for a year and they still haven't figured out how to fix it. I'm not holding my breath that July will reveal an answer.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
dbasal

Default All those with the "special" engines

Not sure how many are out there currently, but one way to tell for sure what is going on is by part number. This would be for the item marked as ENGINE-BARE.

Mine was replaced from 5/15-5/18 with the part number:

10102-AC7MZ

1/2 Qt loss in 2000 miles
Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by MrOrtega

More to come…
1/3 of a quart in 1500 miles is nothing. This is a sports car. Most sports cars do consume some oil. This means at 3000 miles you would be a little more than half a quart low! My car is doing the exact same and I am more than happy.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default update

Hello all I thought I would give an update on my new engine.
Changed oil after 1000 miles. At about 600miles I had to add a quart. Then when I checked it before the oil change the level was about half way between H and L.
After I changed the oil I filled it to the middle of the H. That includes filling the oil filter. I am going to give it another 1000 miles then back to NNA and BBB for replacement.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 AM
Brice-350z

Originally Posted by 9kFever
1/3 of a quart in 1500 miles is nothing. This is a sports car. Most sports cars do consume some oil. This means at 3000 miles you would be a little more than half a quart low! My car is doing the exact same and I am more than happy.
I agree with you. I am currently at 12,000 miles and mine consumes probably around 1/2 quart in 5k mikes, which I think is acceptable for a somewhat high revving sports car engine.

Btw, I use Castrol Syntec 5W-30 with the bigger Nissan filter.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM
doublins

Wow, some of you seem to be overreacting to your "mild" oil consumption. If I only burned 1/3 of a quart in 1,500 miles, I'd be jumping for joy. Please see the contents of my letter to NNA. I didn't realize how bad my issue was until after I typed it up and re-read it. Then I was downright mad.

Dear Sir Or Madam,

I am writing to notify you of the problems I have been having with my 2006 Nissan 350z Grand Touring, VIN# <omitted> and to request that you correct this problem within 30 days of your receipt of this letter.

I purchased my car from <omitted> on November 29, 2006. Within the first 3500 miles, I began to notice that the engine began consuming oil at an alarming rate. I had to add over two quarts of oil to the car in order to maintain the minimum level on the dipstick before my first scheduled maintenance occurred on January 3, 2007, at 3561 miles. At this time, I first informed the dealer of the issue.

Between January 3, 2007 and the date my second scheduled maintenance took place on April 17, 2007, at 7812 miles, I continued to monitor the oil level and noticed the same problem. During this period, I added over four quarts of oil to the car to maintain the proper oil level. When I brought the car in for my 7500-mile service, I again informed the dealer of the problem, and requested that an oil consumption test was performed. No oil leaks were detected, and I was told not to add oil to the vehicle, but rather to bring it back in for repair if the problem persisted. The problem has persisted, and I have since taken it back three more times:

On May 21, 2007, with 8995 miles on the odometer, I brought the car back in with the oil consumption issue. It was noted that the engine had consumed 1.75 quarts of oil in the 1183 miles since the last repair attempt. A second engine leak diagnosis was performed. At this time the dealer acknowledged that there is a known problem with some 2006 350zs with the “rev-up” version of the motor consuming oil, and informed me that “a fix is coming out soon,” for the “from Nissan. Time timeframe I was given at this time was that the issue would be fixed by June. Still, I was told not to add oil to the vehicle, and to return when the problem persisted “until a fix is ready.”
On June 12, 2007, with 10,517 miles on the odometer, I brought the car back in for the oil consumption issue. It was noted that the engine had consumed 2.75 quarts of oil in the 1522 miles since the last repair attempt. The dealer informed me that no fix for the issue was ready yet, and was unable to do anything other than refill the engine oil. Again I was told to return when the problem persisted, and not to add oil to the vehicle.
On June 28, 2007, with 12,233 miles on the odometer, I brought the car back in for the oil consumption issue. It was noted this time that only 2 quarts of oil drained from the vehicle after 1716 miles driven and sixteen days since the vehicle was last in for service. The dealer informed me that no fix for the issue was ready yet, and was unable to do anything other than replace the oil and filter. Again I was told to return when the problem persisted, and not to add oil to the vehicle.

As documented, to date, the dealer has been unable to correct this serious problem. Attached are copies of the repair orders that document the dealership’s attempts to repair my car.

This problem substantially impairs both the use and value of my car. Therefore, if you and/or your dealer are unable to correct this problem in a “reasonable number of attempts,” as that phrase is defined in Maryland’s Automotive Warranty Enforcement Act (Md. Code Ann., Com. Law II, §14-1502(d)), I will expect you to repurchase the vehicle pursuant to §14-1502(c) of the Act.

Please contact me at the above address or telephone number to arrange a mutually convenient date and time for you to inspect my car and make the necessary repairs.

Sincerely,

Christopher <omitted>
Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by doublins
Wow, some of you seem to be overreacting to your "mild" oil consumption. If I only burned 1/3 of a quart in 1,500 miles, I'd be jumping for joy. Please see the contents of my letter to NNA. I didn't realize how bad my issue was until after I typed it up and re-read it. Then I was downright mad.
1/3 qt in 1500 miles is not bad at all, but it all depends. What do non-revup engines burn? From what I have read, they are at the H when it is time for an oil change. As for me, I would be concerned if I were down 1qt or more between scheduled (per the manual) oil changes.

I feel the best test is not a 1000 mile check, but more like a 3000-4000 mile check. All those at the L or below have a consumption problem. Also keep in mind that Nissan knows the rev-up has issues, so anyone wanting a new engine will pretty much get it if they file the Final Repair Notice.

I hope things work out for you, this issue has turned me paranoid for sure.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
doublins

Originally Posted by dbasal
1/3 qt in 1500 miles is not bad at all, but it all depends. What do non-revup engines burn? From what I have read, they are at the H when it is time for an oil change. As for me, I would be concerned if I were down 1qt or more between scheduled (per the manual) oil changes.

I feel the best test is not a 1000 mile check, but more like a 3000-4000 mile check. All those at the L or below have a consumption problem. Also keep in mind that Nissan knows the rev-up has issues, so anyone wanting a new engine will pretty much get it if they file the Final Repair Notice.

I hope things work out for you, this issue has turned me paranoid for sure.
I am also going to dyno the car with the current engine prior to replacement, and videotape the dyno, then after engine replacement, do the same thing on the same dyno, and have the dyno owner/operator sign off on the results, and have them notarized. If the new engine produces less power than the current engine, at least "less than is a reasonable discrepancy" between two of the same engines, then I am going to INSIST on a buyback.

-Chris
Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 AM
mmk

Default Christopher, good for you.

Originally Posted by doublins
I likely will use your letter in drafting mine. This is unbelievably unacceptable.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
calin
Banned

yes i have an oil guzzler too...i'm going to the dealer right now to see if i can trade in for an '07 and how much it'll cost me
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by calin
yes i have an oil guzzler too...i'm going to the dealer right now to see if i can trade in for an '07 and how much it'll cost me
If you are going to go that route, you may want to stop at CarMax first. I considered doing that too, but I would have had to remove an arm, leg and my left nut. I decided I needed the arm and leg for the 6-speed.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
doublins

Originally Posted by mmk
I likely will use your letter in drafting mine. This is unbelievably unacceptable.
Don't use the typos

It got a little messed up during the copy/paste in the middle.

I actually got a general template from the Maryland Attorney General's office as a start, which included what specific info needed to be in the letter, what statutes to quote, the timeframe to give for response, etc.

California will likely have something similar, but please, feel free to use mine as a template. Just make sure you quote California lemon law in your letter!

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion