Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jason350z
any one been told that HFC increase oil consumption?
ppl probably have been told that it causes more oil consumption, as ppl have been told that just after market exhausts cause oil consumption. but really if they did cause any increase in oil consumption, it wouldnt be noticeable, unless there was already a OC problem, such as the ones in our 06's. keep in mind that theyll use any excuse to prevent you from getting a new motor if the OC issue is there esp if yours is currently not much of an OCer. but in any case if youve read anything on this thread prior to going to the dealership for your testing, you shouldve made your z stock, as its obvioulsy an uphill battle no matter how bad your OC is.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by creationv2
ppl probably have been told that it causes more oil consumption, as ppl have been told that just after market exhausts cause oil consumption. but really if they did cause any increase in oil consumption, it wouldnt be noticeable, unless there was already a OC problem, such as the ones in our 06's. keep in mind that theyll use any excuse to prevent you from getting a new motor if the OC issue is there esp if yours is currently not much of an OCer. but in any case if youve read anything on this thread prior to going to the dealership for your testing, you shouldve made your z stock, as its obvioulsy an uphill battle no matter how bad your OC is.
i think thats the biggest chock full of nuts i ever heard. reguarding the hi flow cats thing

If you wanna get that problem fixed stock is the way to go or else tien-stechs will somehow cause the oil to surpass the rings due to reverse modulation of the cytoplasmic recticular prism
Old 09-02-2007, 03:00 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by zmedic16
1quart 1k miles= new engine
3/4 quart 1k miles= new engine....
dont settle for the consumption by tryin different oils..... it shouldnt burn it point blank.
The mechanic who swapped out my engine, and was very knowledgable, said
10w40 was his recommendation, and that it reduced the consumption in the
G35s he'd swapped out (some new engines were still using about a 1/2 quart per oil change) to nil at his previous dealership.

John
Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
ZeeForce

Default Newb to My350Z, New engine on order

I did not see a new intro section, so here is my first post.

First some background info:

2005 SS 6MT
2006 IF 6MT
Nor Cal - Roseville to be specific.

Mods:
Nismo CAI
Nismo exhaust
Koni Yellows
H&R Springs
SPC Upper Control Arms
SPC Rear Camber Kit
PIPS spacer - on 05 SS
Nissan 5 spoke Chrome 18x8 F & 18x8.5 R

Oil consumption on 06 since May 2007. Car was manufactured in the awful month's (May 2006). Started the oil consumption test back in May, already have (had) several case files opened up with Nissan North America.

1qt oil consumption every 1k miles.

Friday, Nissan North America and the service mgr at the dealer said my NEW modified long block engine has been ordered. I guess this is the V2 you guys have talking about? Sorry I have a couple 60 pages to read up on this thread. I noticed there was a part # to look for on the paper work or new engine? What is this modified engine? Or just tell me to backpedal and read.

Cheers
-Curtis

Last edited by ZeeForce; 09-04-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZmaXimus
I decided to sue under the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Nissan Sucks!
Good for you and everyone else involve. I will never buy another Nissan. From Window sensor problems, tire fethering, oil consumption, to clutch problems with the 07's.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 AM
doctorshumes

Getting a compression test with my next oil change. Still burning about 1qt of oil per 3K miles (at the L mark).
Old 09-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Mid117

You guys need to de-mod before you bring it in....it sucks, but you don't want them to have any leverage over you.

I just started my 2nd oil consumption test today...

BBB just called me, and they want to schedule an arbitration hearing. I'm going to put that on hold, after I finish my oil test.

I don't think I have a case, my car's been in the shop 22 days, you need 30 days for the NYS lemon law, and 4 re-occuring issues, not 4 different issues, like mine did.

But I will still try my best, if they don't buy this thing back I better get a new motor + 100k warranty.

George - Go to the BBB website, and fill out a lemon law complaint...Nissan will start talking once you get them involved.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:38 PM
andy2434

Dang . . . Another 1000 mile test interval and another 1-1/2 quarts low on engine oil.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:38 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
I did not see a new intro section, so here is my first post.

First some background info:

2005 SS 6MT
2006 IF 6MT
Nor Cal - Roseville to be specific.

Mods:
Nismo CAI
Nismo exhaust
Koni Yellows
H&R Springs
SPC Upper Control Arms
SPC Rear Camber Kit
PIPS spacer - on 05 SS
Nissan 5 spoke Chrome 18x8 F & 18x8.5 R

Oil consumption on 06 since May 2007. Car was manufactured in the awful month's (May 2006). Started the oil consumption test back in May, already have (had) several case files opened up with Nissan North America.

1qt oil consumption every 1k miles.

Friday, Nissan North America and the service mgr at the dealer said my NEW modified long block engine has been ordered. I guess this is the V2 you guys have talking about? Sorry I have a couple 60 pages to read up on this thread. I noticed there was a part # to look for on the paper work or new engine? What is this modified engine? Or just tell me to backpedal and read.

Cheers
-Curtis
we call it the V2 its a revised ring and piston revup that supposedly stops the consumption. But beware of them just giving you a rebuild motor i spoke to corporate and was using the state attorney of my state to ensure that this motor was indeed the V2 and not a rebuild because it would just circle around back to the dealership which gets paid nicecly on doing these type of installs.

be diligent look back on this thread and good luck
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM
NeverBoneStock

well i finally have a new engine on the way due to me having to go the bbb route.. had a three way call with nissan and bbb and the weird thing is jim from nissan said the reason for the consumption is due to peoples driving habits and the original revup engine wasnt made for that!!! mmmmm!!!!! this thing is a joke to me seems loke they are really trying to avoid a recall and didnt mention anything as far as a faulty engine design or parts. anyway its on the way and ill keep you guys posted!!! oh yeah and they are replacing it even with my mods!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 PM
creationv2

its been 450 miles....and this morning my car started to ping really badly and loudly, louder than my v1. didnt give it much thought cuz i was in a rush and late for work. but on the way back home it was compeltely apaprent that something was really wrong, and i looked at my oil pressure, and it was liek the first time i had the OC problem, really low oil pressure at idle and through the gears, at least to 4k. when i got home i let it rest for 15 minutes and checked and it was at the L...but the engine was still pretty much warm/hot. so ill check tomorrow morning before i go to the dealership...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 AM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by RBlover69
we call it the V2 its a revised ring and piston revup that supposedly stops the consumption. But beware of them just giving you a rebuild motor i spoke to corporate and was using the state attorney of my state to ensure that this motor was indeed the V2 and not a rebuild because it would just circle around back to the dealership which gets paid nicecly on doing these type of installs.

be diligent look back on this thread and good luck
Thanks for the tip, I am in the process of looking back on this thread. I asked several times if it was a rebuilt or NEW modified. They (service mgr and Nissan N.A.) both said it was a NEW modified long block engine. I am going down today to drop off the car for Monday's start of the replacement. I am going to ask to see the new engine, not that I would know what to look for, guess just for peace of mind. I am still trying to get the part number of the new engine, if that helps with my own verification of a V2 or not. I asked yesterday what weight oil is going in, and they said 5w-30 dino oil. So we will see if the new engine likes to drink or not. Got my fingers crossed.

btw: This turd of an engine was hesitating at start off from idle with what sounds like valve chatter and pinging at low rpms. Glad to dump this one, maybe now my exhaust tips will not have black soot.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:31 AM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
well i finally have a new engine on the way due to me having to go the bbb route.. had a three way call with nissan and bbb and the weird thing is jim from nissan said the reason for the consumption is due to peoples driving habits and the original revup engine wasnt made for that!!! mmmmm!!!!! this thing is a joke to me seems loke they are really trying to avoid a recall and didnt mention anything as far as a faulty engine design or parts. anyway its on the way and ill keep you guys posted!!! oh yeah and they are replacing it even with my mods!!!
"peoples driving habits" is a joke. Glad you have a new engine on it's way, and no hassle with the mods.

Mine is in and being installed Monday by Future Nissan-Roseville, CA.

FRAUD was my approach with Nissan North America. If need be I would have contacted an attorney, but I did not have to go that route as they knew they would lose. Fraud is more serious than a class action suit, they reacted and got my engine ordered within five days. I will try to repost it here from the other site.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 AM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by creationv2
its been 450 miles....and this morning my car started to ping really badly and loudly, louder than my v1. didnt give it much thought cuz i was in a rush and late for work. but on the way back home it was compeltely apaprent that something was really wrong, and i looked at my oil pressure, and it was liek the first time i had the OC problem, really low oil pressure at idle and through the gears, at least to 4k. when i got home i let it rest for 15 minutes and checked and it was at the L...but the engine was still pretty much warm/hot. so ill check tomorrow morning before i go to the dealership...
Not good, keep us posted. Just curious, what weight oil did they put in it?

Sorry, it was probably mentioned earlier, I am still catching up on the back reading.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
ZeeForce

Default My case with Nissan North America

I had posted this on another site, and wanted to share my experience and that this may help others when dealing with Nissan North America.

I am getting a new engine!

Friday I was notified by the service manager and Nissan North America that they have a NEW modified 2006 long block engine being shipped to the dealer for me. The service mgr said it’s all secret and he does not know what they modified, he said it’s so difficult getting anything from their engineering department. Although his sources indicate it has new rings, pistons and something else. It’s all sketchy to him, although the dealer did install their first of these modified engines last week. So I will be number two for this dealerships install. Btw: As mentioned earlier regarding some dealership spilled the beans and said that Nissan had a bad batch of cars that were manufactured between February and May of 2006, with bad piston rings. Well he confirmed this was true, and mine was manufactured in March 2006.

How did I get a new engine?

I went to Nissan North America this last time and stated to them that they knew in September of 2005, that they had an oil consumption problem with the 2006 manual transmission models. And issues with models manufactured between February and May of 2006 (my car was manufactured in March of 2006). And that you knew this when I purchased my car in May of 2006 and you did not inform me prior to the purchase of the car that it has an oil consumption problem therefore you have committed FRAUD. If you had informed me of the issue at the time of purchase I would have had the choice to buy or not buy the car. By not disclosing this information prior to the sale to a buyer (me) and being aware of the problem, you have committed FRAUD and if need be I would get an attorney.

Fraud is worse than a class action suit and they realized it and started the gears to get me a new engine.

One tip, do not **** off the service mgr at the dealership. Nissan North America had to call the dealer to get their recommendation. Odd as it may seem, Nissan North America has the final say on to replace it or not. When I questioned this with Nissan N.A. and said “why do you need to speak or check with them, you have the final say, you dictate to the dealer what they need to do”. His reply was “It’s procedure for the red tape”. So treat the service mgr good, and get to a point after several face to face discussions, then ask him if you should open a file with Nissan North America. He may say no, but then do it. My service mgr said not to tell Nissan North America that he suggested I call them. So my advice is to ask him if you should, then present the facts that nothing is being done since Sept 2005. Do this after about two months of bringing continuing issues to him. Then it will take another two months with Nissan North America. Give them a chance, but keeping calling back Once I blew a gasket with Nissan North America and threaten FRAUD, they reacted within 5 days and informed me of new engine. But build up your case file with Nissan N.A. Also there needs to be documentation at the dealership or keep your own log on the oil consumption. Cases may vary, mine went this way.

Yazoo! I am getting a new engine.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Nismospeed4life

I had posted this on another site, and wanted to share my experience and that this may help others when dealing with Nissan North America.

I am getting a new engine!

Friday I was notified by the service manager and Nissan North America that they have a NEW modified 2006 long block engine being shipped to the dealer for me. The service mgr said it’s all secret and he does not know what they modified, he said it’s so difficult getting anything from their engineering department. Although his sources indicate it has new rings, pistons and something else. It’s all sketchy to him, although the dealer did install their first of these modified engines last week. So I will be number two for this dealerships install. Btw: As mentioned earlier regarding some dealership spilled the beans and said that Nissan had a bad batch of cars that were manufactured between February and May of 2006, with bad piston rings. Well he confirmed this was true, and mine was manufactured in March 2006.

How did I get a new engine?

I went to Nissan North America this last time and stated to them that they knew in September of 2005, that they had an oil consumption problem with the 2006 manual transmission models. And issues with models manufactured between February and May of 2006 (my car was manufactured in March of 2006). And that you knew this when I purchased my car in May of 2006 and you did not inform me prior to the purchase of the car that it has an oil consumption problem therefore you have committed FRAUD. If you had informed me of the issue at the time of purchase I would have had the choice to buy or not buy the car. By not disclosing this information prior to the sale to a buyer (me) and being aware of the problem, you have committed FRAUD and if need be I would get an attorney.

Fraud is worse than a class action suit and they realized it and started the gears to get me a new engine.

One tip, do not **** off the service mgr at the dealership. Nissan North America had to call the dealer to get their recommendation. Odd as it may seem, Nissan North America has the final say on to replace it or not. When I questioned this with Nissan N.A. and said “why do you need to speak or check with them, you have the final say, you dictate to the dealer what they need to do”. His reply was “It’s procedure for the red tape”. So treat the service mgr good, and get to a point after several face to face discussions, then ask him if you should open a file with Nissan North America. He may say no, but then do it. My service mgr said not to tell Nissan North America that he suggested I call them. So my advice is to ask him if you should, then present the facts that nothing is being done since Sept 2005. Do this after about two months of bringing continuing issues to him. Then it will take another two months with Nissan North America. Give them a chance, but keeping calling back Once I blew a gasket with Nissan North America and threaten FRAUD, they reacted within 5 days and informed me of new engine. But build up your case file with Nissan N.A. Also there needs to be documentation at the dealership or keep your own log on the oil consumption. Cases may vary, mine went this way.

Yazoo! I am getting a new engine.
Congratulations on your new engine! I'm a bit curious to know how much oil were you consuming? And what did Nissan considered to be a car with oil consumption problems?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Congratulations on your new engine! I'm a bit curious to know how much oil were you consuming? And what did Nissan considered to be a car with oil consumption problems?
On 10w-30 dino oil, it burned .5 qrt at 2k miles, topped off, then at 3k (on same oil schedule) burned 1 qrt, that is 1 qrt in 1k miles. At that point push cam to shove.

Anywhere above .5 qrt per 4k miles.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
ZeeForce

I just dropped off the car for the engine replacement scheduled for Monday, and got to see the new engine on a pallet boxed up. I will post some pics.

It looks gorgeous! All that aluminum.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Nismospeed4life

I just dropped off the car for the engine replacement scheduled for Monday, and got to see the new engine on a pallet boxed up. I will post some pics.

It looks gorgeous! All that aluminum.
Sweet, I love to see those pics.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Nismospeed4life

On 10w-30 dino oil, it burned .5 qrt at 2k miles, topped off, then at 3k (on same oil schedule) burned 1 qrt, that is 1 qrt in 1k miles. At that point push cam to shove.

Anywhere above .5 qrt per 4k miles.
My consumption is about a quart evry 2000 miles...

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion