Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake lol... keep pushing fellas. This is not right.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
aren21

Build date is on the drivers side door jamb.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Durden76

[QUOTE=bofa]Durden.. the whole "soon" solution thing has been played out for months. I had the regional engineer look at my car 4 days ago and he confirmed it would be at least June. Don't buy everything you hear.

Thanks, but I'm not the gullible type. The good news that I see here is that Nissan is developing a TSB which means that they finally aknowledge that there is a flaw. They should no longer be blaming the owners for "running it too hard" etc. That's the only point I was trying to make, also, to me, June is realatively soon considering I have been dealing with Nissan on this issue for approx 9 months already
Old 03-30-2007, 06:10 PM
bofa

Dealing with this issue for a year is ridiculuous imo, but if you're okay with it, that's up to you.

June is the earliest and as dbasal pointed out there have been other timeframes provided before that didn't happen. Not to mention you run the risk of waiting for the fix and it not working.. then you're 2 years in and then what?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Durden76

Duly noted. Believe me I've considered other recourse. We'll see if Nissan will resolve the matter to my/our satisfaction. If not, legal action will likely need to be taken either through arbitration, Lemon Law or possible class action lawsuit.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:46 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know whats funny guys? I have already stated that im looking for a z. And MANY dealers have called me and trying to get me to buy. And when I mention oil consumption problems on the 2006 z's they have no idea at all that it was going on. They tell me that no one has gone in there with that problem. I live in Hobe Sound FL, and I have been getting calls from dealers from Ft Pierce to Boca and NONE of them have heard anything. Has anyone from my part of town reported this problem around here?
Old 03-31-2007, 05:21 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by silverstripes
You know whats funny guys? I have already stated that im looking for a z. And MANY dealers have called me and trying to get me to buy. And when I mention oil consumption problems on the 2006 z's they have no idea at all that it was going on. They tell me that no one has gone in there with that problem. I live in Hobe Sound FL, and I have been getting calls from dealers from Ft Pierce to Boca and NONE of them have heard anything. Has anyone from my part of town reported this problem around here?
They'll do anything to sell you a car. I was walking around waiting for my car the other day and the sales guy tried to tell me the 306hp in the HR was at the wheels. I can't blame them, they are just trying to make a sales. That is why I fully research a car and then deal with the internet sales department. That way, I skip the BS.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand, just wondering if these dealers or the people working for them have really not heard of this problem. One in fact told me that he is a z enthusiast and never heard of this problem. So i refered him to read this thread. It may not affect everyone, but it sounds like a PITA.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:53 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by silverstripes
I understand, just wondering if these dealers or the people working for them have really not heard of this problem. One in fact told me that he is a z enthusiast and never heard of this problem. So i refered him to read this thread. It may not affect everyone, but it sounds like a PITA.
I'm sure nobody is going to tell the sales folks of any issues.

One thing that I have seen on this forum is that there are some people that seem to think oil consumption is normal. My opinion is that even at 1/3 qt per 1000 miles, that is excessive. That equates out to an entire quart per 3000 miles. Since recommendations are 3750 and 5000 miles for dino and synthetic, that is excessive.

You also have to keep in mind most people just take their cars in for an oil change and pay no attention to the levels.

Then there are the folks that mod their cars with turbos and superchargers and other internal changes. With these changes, there will be oil consumption. It' the nature of the beast.

It has been reported on non rev-ups that after 3000 miles, the stick still reads at H. That is normal and how the rev-ups should be.

Frustrated rant over . I hope it answered some questions for you.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM
RBlover69

maybey they shouldve listed this in the manual

The revup motor is a beta for the hr motor , this motor will rev to 7k make less tq more hp and will eat oil because we were trying to add technologies to this motor without proper testing. Good thing is so far the HRs motors dont have this isssue. So be happy in other words your beat. Thank you for buying a 350z true sports car with rotary engine oil performance.

Last edited by RBlover69; 04-01-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problems here.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:34 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by RBlover69
maybey they shouldve listed this in the manual

The revup motor is a beta for the hr motor , this motor will rev to 7k make less tq more hp and will eat oil because we were trying to add technologies to this motor without proper testing. Good thing is so far the HRs motors dont have this isssue. So be happy in other words your beat. Thank you for buying a 350z true sports car with rotary engine oil performance.

I like it! The problem is this is pretty much how Nissan has acted in taking care of this issue.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM
RBlover69

im actually thinking of switching to Castrol GC 0w-30 .From Royal purple 10w-30. Because oil anaylsis already showes RP breaking down as quick as the ghey new mobile 1 forumula. Great. So GC is next.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:10 AM
deprived...Not

I've got about 2000 miles on my '06 mt with very little oil useage so far. However, since the breakin period was over, I'll rev to 5500 once every other day, and the oil is down slightly, maybe an eighth of an inch on the dipstick. How much useage is acceptable? I was hoping for none on a new Japanese sports car.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:01 AM
RBlover69

the issue is when u on the revup when u actually revup using the engines new rev ability and vtc ablities the car eats oil . If u stay within normal drivining paramaters u would probably see minimal use. But for me especially getting on a highway off ramp or on. Sometimes my car likes to see 7k. At least for 1 gear ya know. Thus a quart gone in 2 weeks. I have herd it was due to vacuum could be just a flaw in adding new techonologies and not realizing how much they actually con sume on this engine . Im still at my 1000 test though 500 more miles to go before new engine if they discover that it eats.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by deprived...Not
I've got about 2000 miles on my '06 mt with very little oil useage so far. However, since the breakin period was over, I'll rev to 5500 once every other day, and the oil is down slightly, maybe an eighth of an inch on the dipstick. How much useage is acceptable? I was hoping for none on a new Japanese sports car.
I kept it under 4000 rpm most of my tests and my driving is all highway and still I see results like 2/3 qt for 1000, 3/4 qt for 1000, 1qt for 2000, 1.5 qt for 2500.

My bet would be if I topped the oil off and jumped on the highway and drove for 1000 miles with the cruise control on, I would burn no less than 1/2 qt down and I would say it would be more like 3/4 qt down. For that type of driving, that is freaking unbelievable!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 AM
RBlover69

^ where are u getting urs serviced im at universal
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by RBlover69
^ where are u getting urs serviced im at universal
I was there for the first 8 times. Now at Classic. There are no official tests going on now. I just documented the latest with Classic and now have the BBB Lemon Law Paperwork in hand as of today.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:14 PM
antennahead

Well I started my consumption test today. I have 8200 miles on the car. It's been 2400 miles since my last oil change. The mechanic that topped it off said it took 2 quarts. Hmmmmmm, about 1 quart per 1200 miles. I go back in a 1000 miles. I am going to drive it hard, within reason,until the 1000 is up, you know, the way the cars are meant to be driven. It is a sports car after all. I hope they come out with a fix soon. Too many here have stated a new engine didn't solve the problem, while some have benefited.

John
Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by dbasal
I was there for the first 8 times. Now at Classic. There are no official tests going on now. I just documented the latest with Classic and now have the BBB Lemon Law Paperwork in hand as of today.
Yeah, the BBB Auto Line thing has worked out real well so far. Tell Rhonda I said hello.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion