Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 AM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IbarraZ33
so the new engine is out..?? my 06 Z has problem with piston rings and oil leaks through.. i talked to Heri at Westco and he said the new engines have not been released yet!? so are they or are they not!?
V2 hand built from Japan released around June 07, new rings and pistons. part # 10102 AC7MZ (must have the "Z"). Read back about 15 pages.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:59 AM
king67rsss

Originally Posted by IbarraZ33
so the new engine is out..?? my 06 Z has problem with piston rings and oil leaks through.. i talked to Heri at Westco and he said the new engines have not been released yet!? so are they or are they not!?
They're out. It just takes a while to get them from Japan
Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Mid117

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
If I understand this correctly, you are letting them replace the engine but then turning around and going to lemon it?
If I can.

If not, I'll just end up with the new motor + 100k warranty.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:01 PM
RBlover69

heres a good question is the engine code designation Z avaible to be viewed by lookign underneath the engine. Take for instance my engine is a V2 as per confirmed the number from my receit etc . But is there a visible indicator from popping the hood.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:26 PM
king67rsss

Originally Posted by Mid117
If I can.

If not, I'll just end up with the new motor + 100k warranty.
You may not want to advertise that on a public forum. Also, I don't think the 100k warranty is a given. As far as I understand from my conversations with NNA each case is determined upon individually.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:13 PM
IbarraZ33

Originally Posted by king67rsss
okay, there out! but they still haven't brought the new engines to U.S. yet am i right!?

and if they are in japan could i tell my dealership thats handling the problem haVE The engine set out here or there bringing them in when they can!?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Mid117

You may not want to advertise that on a public forum. Also, I don't think the 100k warranty is a given. As far as I understand from my conversations with NNA each case is determined upon individually.
its not like they know my real name.

As soon as I went with the BBB they offered a new motor + warranty, but soon it will meet lemon law requirements, that's when I'll have a stronger case.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:01 PM
anate

Wow. Spent much time reading these posts because....

Got my 6mt 2005 G35 coupe used with 35k mi on it in late July. 1st day I had it SES light comes on. Timing valve solenoid failure. Also got full svc records at that point too, as I bought it from a VW dealer for a very good price. Well, looks like oil consumption (documented 1st at 8,000 miles) had plagued this car. It was a lease and I believe the prev. owner did not nor did it seem the dealer wanted to or just flat out did not address correctly (customer came in a few times complaining of lifter noise, they topped oil off every time, also timing solenoid was replaced under prev owner 1X). He had all the servicings and oil changes done at Infiniti with full records (gold service level).

Light came on 1 week later from 1st time when bought car. Took to another dealer and they said the 1st dealer didn't reset my ECU. Also, since I read all this about oil consumption in that week, I asked them to check it. They noted it was alittle low and topped it off. I, NOT THEM, requested an oil consumption. This was like 300 miles after the 1st dealer fixed the solenoid. I am not sure if it was at full oil when i purchased.

Well, I was planning on taking it in to get the oil level checked very soon because I set my trip odometer and just clicked 1,200 mi from that top-off, and my SES light comes on again today! Man, no SES light in a month - thought I was in the clear, as sad as that sounds, and was relieved. Took it right to dealer today. Same code. Timing valve solenoid. They replaced it, and I told them to chk oil level, because I mentioned I had read that problem was related to oil level. When I asked what was going on to see what they said, he said my car had used 1 qt. That's 1qt/1,000 mi by my count! He said that they needed to START the consumption test now for 4 rounds (I thought it was 3). Why didn't the svc history with the oil top off logged in the records count at #1? They didn't actually write - oil consumption test in the prev svc history to today. They have the 2 mileages and the record oil was topped off it says that right there in black and white- what more do they need?!!? I should really only have 2k miles to go at this point before it's over. BS.

He mentioned, candidly, that the consumption problem, if it persists, will be fixed with a new motor. At least seems like this dealer is willing to work with me to fix it with a new motor, but it sounds like NNA is going to slap the dealer around.

Also, if worst comes to worst, are there more and more V2's coming to the states now? How do I ensure I get one if I do indeed need a new motor?

This sucks. I wish I had either never got the car, and since i just got it, am restless about wondering whether i should just sell it and cut my losses.

I would be happy with the new engine if it's a fix. love the car otherwise.

VERY helpful post.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:26 AM
NeverBoneStock

i just had my v2 installed and honestly it does feel like it has more torque and the engine is not as buzzy!!!! it feels stronger , but i could be wrng!! took only 2days for the install and the put all mods on for me!!! kinda funny how things work when you go the bbb route!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:04 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
i just had my v2 installed and honestly it does feel like it has more torque and the engine is not as buzzy!!!! it feels stronger , but i could be wrng!! took only 2days for the install and the put all mods on for me!!! kinda funny how things work when you go the bbb route!!!!
did you have the mods on the previous motor?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM
9kFever

I am glad i Have an easy to work with dealer. Stick with it man. They will put the V2 in it. If they dont you will need a new motor anyways and that will be attempt number 2. On a side note my dealer counted the day I brought it in (already low) as the first test even though I had done the oil change. Then i brought it in after 700 miles and that was test 2. Only had to bring it in one more time after 700 miles (test 3) and they ordered the V2. I highly doubt the V2 will solve the problem.

Originally Posted by anate
Wow. Spent much time reading these posts because....

Got my 6mt 2005 G35 coupe used with 35k mi on it in late July. 1st day I had it SES light comes on. Timing valve solenoid failure. Also got full svc records at that point too, as I bought it from a VW dealer for a very good price. Well, looks like oil consumption (documented 1st at 8,000 miles) had plagued this car. It was a lease and I believe the prev. owner did not nor did it seem the dealer wanted to or just flat out did not address correctly (customer came in a few times complaining of lifter noise, they topped oil off every time, also timing solenoid was replaced under prev owner 1X). He had all the servicings and oil changes done at Infiniti with full records (gold service level).

Light came on 1 week later from 1st time when bought car. Took to another dealer and they said the 1st dealer didn't reset my ECU. Also, since I read all this about oil consumption in that week, I asked them to check it. They noted it was alittle low and topped it off. I, NOT THEM, requested an oil consumption. This was like 300 miles after the 1st dealer fixed the solenoid. I am not sure if it was at full oil when i purchased.

Well, I was planning on taking it in to get the oil level checked very soon because I set my trip odometer and just clicked 1,200 mi from that top-off, and my SES light comes on again today! Man, no SES light in a month - thought I was in the clear, as sad as that sounds, and was relieved. Took it right to dealer today. Same code. Timing valve solenoid. They replaced it, and I told them to chk oil level, because I mentioned I had read that problem was related to oil level. When I asked what was going on to see what they said, he said my car had used 1 qt. That's 1qt/1,000 mi by my count! He said that they needed to START the consumption test now for 4 rounds (I thought it was 3). Why didn't the svc history with the oil top off logged in the records count at #1? They didn't actually write - oil consumption test in the prev svc history to today. They have the 2 mileages and the record oil was topped off it says that right there in black and white- what more do they need?!!? I should really only have 2k miles to go at this point before it's over. BS.

He mentioned, candidly, that the consumption problem, if it persists, will be fixed with a new motor. At least seems like this dealer is willing to work with me to fix it with a new motor, but it sounds like NNA is going to slap the dealer around.

Also, if worst comes to worst, are there more and more V2's coming to the states now? How do I ensure I get one if I do indeed need a new motor?

This sucks. I wish I had either never got the car, and since i just got it, am restless about wondering whether i should just sell it and cut my losses.

I would be happy with the new engine if it's a fix. love the car otherwise.

VERY helpful post.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 PM
9kFever

Heri at West Covina Nissan is talking about the motor that is supposed to come out with the new piston rings. Not the V2
Old 10-07-2007, 04:35 PM
9kFever

so maybe I am confused. I was under the impression that the V2 was just a hand built revup. I thought the motor with the new pistons and rings has not been released.

Does the V2 have different rings or pistons?

Whats this other motor that hasnt been released?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by 9kFever
so maybe I am confused. I was under the impression that the V2 was just a hand built revup. I thought the motor with the new pistons and rings has not been released.

Does the V2 have different rings or pistons?

Whats this other motor that hasnt been released?
I was led to believe the hand built had revised rings. And it hasn't been "officially" released as a fix, TSB or recall; but to those that scream loud enough, BBB, sue, etc., you get one.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
anate

1. no mods that i know of. the 1 prev owner before me leased it for 2 yrs, took it in for every service, so i'm assuming no mods. who mods a leased car?

2. i thought the hand-built is what we're calling the v2. the one with the serial number ending in MZ. Am I correct? Seems like on this post, that the hand-built one from Japan has solved the problem for most. However, most have probably not had the 8k - 12k mi on the new engine where the problem started happening on the previous one. Correct me anyone if I am wrong about that. Are you saying the hand-built one WON'T solve the problem? Is there yet another version out there? And it seems confirmed that the piston rings are the culprit for all cases of excess consumption. What have they done with the results of the motors they tore apart on the replacements? Can anyone get access to that data?

Oh, and yesterday my sirius subscription must have run out. had to re-activate it today. 2 things go wrong in 1 day
Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 PM
anate

9kfever - did the v2 they ordered for you solve your problem (assuming it's already installed). How long have you had it if so?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by antennahead
I was led to believe the hand built had revised rings. And it hasn't been "officially" released as a fix, TSB or recall; but to those that scream loud enough, BBB, sue, etc., you get one.

I have to praise West Covina Nissan then. I drove it in for a 15k and mentioned the OC problem. They said no problem we will start the test today. The oil was a quart low when I brought it in (test one). Another quart low after 700 miles. And then 2 quarts low after the next 700. They ordered the new motor without even telling me to call NNA or anything. Car is at WCN now getting the new motor installed and they put me up in a Murano S AWD for the time being. They also have put me on the list to recieve the new revised motor that has been postponed (assuming the v2 consumes as well)

Last edited by 9kFever; 10-07-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:11 PM
anate

So what is V2? How do we know it's different than the old one that was defective? 9kfever, they're putting in a "v2" engine, but have put you in line for the one from Japan, or this new rumored redesigned engine that is not even out yet - and when THAT one comes out, assuming your problem is not solved, they'll put it in (2 motors).

This may seem like a stupid question, but wouldn't it be cheaper for Nissan to put in an engine that won't burn oil again rather than doing MULTIPLE swaps? That's why if they say they are doin short block, or even putting in the same motor (I won't settle for anything less than hand-built one since that one at least seems to be working, mixed results with ones not hand built in Japan), I will bring this up and demand that is not a fix.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by anate
So what is V2? How do we know it's different than the old one that was defective? 9kfever, they're putting in a "v2" engine, but have put you in line for the one from Japan, or this new rumored redesigned engine that is not even out yet - and when THAT one comes out, assuming your problem is not solved, they'll put it in (2 motors).

This may seem like a stupid question, but wouldn't it be cheaper for Nissan to put in an engine that won't burn oil again rather than doing MULTIPLE swaps? That's why if they say they are doin short block, or even putting in the same motor (I won't settle for anything less than hand-built one since that one at least seems to be working, mixed results with ones not hand built in Japan), I will bring this up and demand that is not a fix.
Im getting a v2 that I am under the impression is a hand built motor from japan that is exactly identical to the original. I was under the impression that a motor with different rings was supposed to be released but was postponed
Old 10-07-2007, 06:56 PM
9kFever

just read this thread...according to them nissan told them to stop replacing motors with the v2 because it wasnt solving the problem. They were told only to do it on emergency basis (i.e. car burning 3 qts in 1000 miles). The redesigned motor is still postponed.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....il+consumption

As of mid sept Jeff posted that the new redesigned motor was postponed. So yes the v2 is the same motor as the one your car came with just "hand built" in Japan.

Last edited by 9kFever; 10-07-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion