Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:46 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~1k update

update: idk apparently i drive a lot less than other dd z owners on this thread...but 1.2k miles later im still good, the dipstick level is basically the same as it was during fill up. still running dino. just another 1k or so and im in for another oil chg, not sure if i want to chg out to synth yet.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 AM
9kFever

Originally Posted by aforst
I went to arbirtration (BBB) and won! Bitter sweet no more
Z. Dropped the car off today. I asked NNA to buy back the vehicle
about 3 mos. ago. They said no. The arbirtration hearing was in my favour
what did they give you for it?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:06 AM
9kFever

how many motors?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 AM
pooch15

Angry V2 update

Checked the oil 3 weeks ago and everything was fine but then had the oil changed yesterday and ask that it be measured after draining.

Unfortunately this wasn't done at the dealer. The result was just under 3 of the 4.7 liters (with filter) left in only 2000 miles.

On Sunday I'm storing the car for the winter so I can't test anymore until spring.

I WILL NEVER BUY A NISSAN/INFINITI PRODUCT AGAIN.

Last edited by pooch15; 11-16-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Mid117

Originally Posted by pooch15
I'll drink to that
Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Mid117

Congratulations!!!!

How many times did you bring it to the dealer(how many motors?) How many days out of service?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:48 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel .
Old 11-16-2007, 05:54 PM
luvZcar

I think its time to give nissan corp a call and do some asking for customer satisfaction research I want extras time is money you know I'm sick of waiting for my car to be fixed and right
Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 AM
ZeeForce

Default Offline the last four days. Replies to previous posts.

Hey guys sorry I have been offline the last four days. Some replies to previous posts.

anate,
The buy back cars I was talking about is that NNA choose my dealer for the region, to swap out the engines on the cars that NNA had purchased back from customers. Basically install the V2 and then Nissan would place them back on the lot for sale.

If you are not getting the satisfaction from the work the dealer or NNA has performed and the problem still persists, then yes go to the BBB. I did confuse you with luvZcar and thought this was your 2nd replacement engine, sorry. You make some good points about the extended warranty; all I am saying is that at some point you may decide this is not worth all the hassle and to consider BBB at that point on buying back the car. If you are happy as I would be as it appears the dealer fixed the install problems, then that is all that matters. Btw: Being the second owner of the car, the original manufactures warranty transfers to you and enforcing a buy back is within your rights. The original owner would have had to let you know of the problem at the time of sale, or you could hold them to buying back the car. In your case it was probably the dealer that sold you the car therefore the dealer would be responsible to buy back your car, and since the issue is a manufactures defect the dealer would get reimbursed from NNA. You are entitled to a buy back.

I am glad you have the car back; all in all I would just keep an eye everything. I would also call NNA and update the case with the install issues, so they know also and there is documentation at both the dealer and NNA.

06CPV35 also had great advice. +1

06CPV35,
Nicely worded, I agree. I am thinking of coding their listing on the stat list to indicate V1 with new rings or something to that extent.

Thanks for posting up the pics of your OEM G35 engine, it appears the V2 front face is identical to the V1, so we are back where we started with no physical appearances to differentiate the two engines.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by creationv2
update: idk apparently i drive a lot less than other dd z owners on this thread...but 1.2k miles later im still good, the dipstick level is basically the same as it was during fill up. still running dino. just another 1k or so and im in for another oil chg, not sure if i want to chg out to synth yet.
Thanks for the update. Could you use the template (below)? I am confused with your mileage that is already on the list and do not want to make any errors.

Appreciate your input.
Thanks
-Curtis

Template:

So Far So Good – Still Pending
Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

OC: quarts per 1k miles: (please convert to 1k miles)
Engine Install Date:
Engine part number:
Mileage on Engine: (new installed engine, not total mileage on vehicle)
Mileage on current oil change interval of 3750 – 4000:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:

Last posted stat list:
btw, as promised I will be updating the list today.

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-v2-and-v1-stats_0018.jpg
Old 11-17-2007, 10:35 AM
ZeeForce

Checked the oil 3 weeks ago and everything was fine but then had the oil changed yesterday and ask that it be measured after draining.

Unfortunately this wasn't done at the dealer. The result was just under 3 of the 4.7 liters (with filter) left in only 2000 miles.

On Sunday I'm storing the car for the winter so I can't test anymore until spring.
Thanks for the update. I am not sure how to convert liters to quarts. Could you please use this template and update your stats.

Thanks
-Curtis

Template:

Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

Engine Install Date:
Engine part number:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:
Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
ZeeForce

9kFever,
Tried to send you a PM, although your inbox is full.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM
9kFever

Sorry, my membership expired and made my box way more than full =)
Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Thanks for posting up the pics of your OEM G35 engine, it appears the V2 front face is identical to the V1, so we are back where we started with no physical appearances to differentiate the two engines.
Seems that way, oh well. That's why I looked at my original 06 rev-up VQ and couldn't see any difference of the two (V1/V2).
Thought it was important to show (from what I could see) no apparent visual difference and alleviate any false hopes or visual assumptions.

Here's a little FYI that's little known to consumers.
The NHTSA has the power to TELL manufactures to recall their products if it's concluded a safety hazard or DEFECTIVE.
Notice that NNA hasn't address this issue with their customers with a volunteered recall on affected VQ's when they're well aware of this problem and rely on us to notify them?
And them some get the run-around and have to involve the BBB or hire an Attorney It upsets me to read all those stories about that. We have lot better things to be doing in our lives than fight with NNA on their defective rev-up VQ.

A nation wide recall on all VQ's probably wouldn't happen, but a recall could possibly be initiated on only the VQ's that have OC issues.
Eligibility could be proven with Dealer OC testing results; hopefully above NNA's ridiculous 1qt/1000mi standard as acceptable consumption, as in my current situation of being denied.

Consumers can file a complaint, though somewhat a long process, but worth it imo.
Many G owners on Driver have done this from my info given to them over there.
It could also, if recall initiated, prevent customers from having to go through the hassles of BBB and/or retaining an Attorney for NNA to step up the plate and be fair with their customers, with less inconvenience and aggravation.
It could also be a mandated replacement with no hassles other than Dealer OC testing and then VQ replacement. Who knows, maybe mandated extended warranty too.
NHTSA-office of defects, has the power to mandate this.

Link to where file defect complaint if you agree with my gripe and logic:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
Old 11-17-2007, 05:52 PM
ZeeForce

Excellent idea, I know there have been folk here that have suggested some sort of a revolt, but it has never gone any further than venting or it quickly got lost in the posts. The biggest difference between the 03 tire feathering and the Altima engine issue was that they were widespread, not like the 06 OC issue. Then the government stepped in and slapped NNA around and made them fix all of them with a recall or TSB. You are right though NNA see’s it an isolated issue and can only save themselves money by not sending out letters to all 06 owners describing the possibility of an OC issue. I like your idea and it would be great if someone (like you) could get this jump started here.

I would not hesitate to go through the long process; hopefully it would still be valid since I already have a V2.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:04 PM
ZeeForce

Sadly there were only two complaints registered here for the 06 Z

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Click on: Search complaints, by make, year, model:

Summary of the two complaints:

Make: NISSAN
Model: 350Z

Year: 2006
Complaint Number: 10170863
Summary:
PURCHASED A NEW NISSAN 350Z 2006 MODEL YEAR WITH THE REV-UP ENGINEIN JUNE 2006. AT 2300 MILES, AUGUST 2006-CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND DEALER HAD TO REPLACE OVER 2QUARTS OF OIL. ASKED TO RETURN AT 500 MILE INTERVALS FOR CHECKS, FIST 500MILES OIL INDICATES LESS THAN HALF ON THE HIGH TO LOW MARK ON THE DIPSTICK. 1000 MILES, MORE THAN 1QUART ADDED TO ENGINE. 1500 MILES, LESS THAN 1/2 ON THE DIPSTICK. 2000 MILES, ADDED OVER 1QUART OF OIL AND NOW STARTED 'CONSUMPTION' TEST. FILED FOR REPURCHASE-AND RECEIVED RESPONSE FROM NISSAN THAT 'SOME' OIL CONSUMPTION WAS NORMAL. FILED FOR STATE LEMON LAW AND NOW AWAITING ARBITRATION.

Make: NISSAN
Model: 350Z

Year: 2006
Complaint Number: 10191446
Summary:
MY HUSBAND AND I PURCHASED A NEW NISSAN 350Z IN MAY 2006, AND HAD SINCE THEN MULTIPLE PROBLEMS WITH THE ENGINE CONSUMING OIL. AFTER MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS FOR REPAIR AND NO SOLUTION WE SOUGHT THE ADVISE OF A LEMON LAW ATTORNEY. SINCE THIS TIME WE HAVE ENCOUNTERED ISSUES WITH THE ATTORNEY MAKING CONTACT WITH NISSAN'S ATTORNEY THERE SEEMED TO BE A PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE RETURNING PHONE CALLS, AND NOTHING GOT RESOLVED . DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTION ON HOW TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM.*AK

Last edited by ZeeForce; 11-17-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:11 PM
ZeeForce

G35 has only five complaints, if you filter all the engine defects (all 3)
Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 PM
ZeeForce

Off topic:

Ouch... do not search on "Defect Investigations" for 06 350Z.

I have chrome wheels and live in Calif. jk... mine are Nissan manufactured chrome wheels.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:42 PM
ZeeForce

Default V2 & V1 Install Stats List - Updated

I have revised the V2 & V1 Install Stats List to include the V2 birth date, part numbers for V1 & V2 for both Z and G35. A conversion chart from quart to decimal and the amount of oil loss if the dipstick is reading on the “L” mark.

The two main categories at the moment regarding current discussions is engine part number and install date. Please help out making this chart (list) a success by providing all the data. If you have your name listed here and have posted updates recently, please use the template. Copy it from here (below) to notepad and save it on your desktop, when you want to make an update, fill in the notepad blanks and post it, that simple. One format for posting updates will help me update the spreadsheet faster without having to do conversions and second guess for info not provided.

Thanks for all your updates, hopefully soon all the fields in the spreadsheet will be filled in for all. I am pondering on the folk that have not updated in sometime to send them a friendly PM, asking if they would like to update their engine data.

Template:

Some OC – Still Pending
Still Pending
Still Consuming
Success

Engine Install Date:
Engine part number:
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-v2-and-v1-stats_0022.jpg

Last edited by ZeeForce; 11-17-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 PM
ZeeForce

Default Need Help in revising Page 1 on this thread

Also thanks to 9kFever who owns the first page of this thread for giving me permission to update it with some history of the 06 OC issue and bring folk new to the thread an up to date opening post, along with the current V2 Install Stats update list.

I am looking for all of your input on the topics and facts to include in the opening first page.

I have a good idea of the history of the OC issue and our issues dealing with NNA. So here is what I have:

Year and models effected.
Recall or TSB
How much oil consumption is considered too much in our eyes and what NNA will approve for the start of an OC test.
What is an OC Test?
What is covered under warranty regarding mods, and what should be done with your mods prior to taking the car to the dealer?
Why are the MT Rev Up consuming oil?
What has been done by NNA at the start of the community complaining as far as a fix, and what are they currently doing?
What must I do in order to ensure all the bases are covered once I have confirmed my car is consuming too much oil?
What do I do if NNA or the dealer refuses to start an OC Test for me?
What do I do if they do not replace my engine, after several low oil OC Tests?
What do I do if I am just fed up with the car, dealer and NNA and do not want to hassle the process or even own the car anymore?
????????

Ok this is a start, is there anything that should also be covered and if so, in what order? Please chime in or shoot me a PM. My goal is to get something together for the newcomer so he will not have to read all 100 pages to come up to speed. One post that will tell it all, in a nutshell.

-Curtis

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion