Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

more power!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Quark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ITR#203
First of all Quark, I must say that it is quite obvious that you are a car enthusiast and I appologize if any of my comments seemed like personal attacks. I also considar myself to be a car enthusiast and well, what's a couple of disagreements about minor facts? Maybe you are right about the TT, but I always thought that the TT was a front driver until provoked. It made sense to me b/c TT's were originally designed as front drivers. If not, I would have rather seen the all wheel drive system on the S4's, A4's, etc. in the car, but apparently it couldnt fit (same reason the halidex is used on Golfs and Jettas). Second, The EVO is a very very good handling car. However,he super quick steering and the lack of body roll give a perception of a car that is even better at handling than it really is. At the limit, unfortunately, without the front limited split, it understeers, something I've never heard anyone with a Jap spec EVO VII/VIII complain about (even though I've heard that some Euro Evo versions have understeer) In conclusion, I agree with pretty much everything you said in your post.
Its cool man! Sorry if i was a bit short.
I was going to say what you mentioned about the TT. There are 2 drivetrains for it in the US currently, one the 180hp FWD (front wheel drive), and the other a 225hp AWD system. So possibly you could be confusing the front driver for the AWD?
About the understeer, you are correct. I havent heard any complaints of understeer, but I will reserve judgements untill I race it on a track
Old 04-03-2003, 10:33 AM
Quark

Default Re: Quark

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
I will get exact specs on the Audi AWD sys.'s for you all. Yes, your right about the TT using the same system as the VW's because the engine had to be Tranversely mounted unlike the A4's and S4's.

I know this will sound stupid so I'm asking for your help. If you raise a car up on a lift and apply throttle and the front wheels or wheel spins and nothing else, what is that called (example, TT)? Also, if you do the same thing to another car and all 4 wheels spin freely, what do you call that (example S4)? That is what happens with both of these cars when lifted into the air. I'm confused on what that might mean.

I know S4's that have ESP on them will detect any slippage from any ONE corner of the car and transmitt torque diagnally across to the other wheel to prevent loosing control and doesn't apply brake force.

From what I know the S4 gets equal amounts of power down to all 4 wheels until there is slippage of some sort.
I would like to see the specs on the TTs and S4s halidex systems if you can get them, i havent been able to find any.

As for your question, if only the fronts spin its Front wheel drive (remember the FWD audi TT).
And ifall four spun it would be AWD.

I think you are also correct about the S4 (not sure). But its probably a 50/50 split untill it detects slippage.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:08 PM
ITR#203

Hey guys. The only place I was able to find any type of verification on the all wheel drive system on the TT was at edmunds.com (hardly a source that I considar to be completely accurate). I quote from edmunds.com, "And with the all-wheel-drive system able to transfer up to 100 percent of engine power between the front and rear axles, grip around corners is certainly impressive." As far the A4s, A6's, and A8's go, I am positive that they are normally at 50-50 split. I do not remember if up to 33% being able to distributed to a single wheel OR if it 66% being able to be distributed to either front or rear.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:43 PM
bfleming

Default Torque & AWD

I temporarily lost track of this thread, but find it has taken some wide but pretty interesting turns.

First, I assume the torque curve posted by blades is from an S4 as that was the earlier question??? I'm amazed at the low end torque 500 ft-lbs at a little over 2000rpm. The curve looks like a motorcycle. The Zs torque curve is more of a rising straight line, starting out at about 175 ft-lbs and reaching about 225 ft-lbs by 2000 rpm and steadily rising to 274 ft-lbs at 4800 rpm. While this isn't exactly a muscle car, most muscle cars, with a few exceptions, aren't delivered to a show room, they're built.

Second, the Z follows the general blueprint for a sports car or GT and the WRX and EVO are based on a rally car. The cars are very different and the driving experience is very different - looks, RWD vs AWD, 4 vs 6 cylinders, etc. Sports cars race on tracks where it seems to me running corners at the limits and the exit speed from corners wins or loses the race and RWD is important. Is low end torque important? Probalby not as important as it is in rally cars. Rally cars run on a course with all sorts of traction and acc/dec demands so the cars are designed differently and AWD is essential. Low end torque in a rally car would seem to me to be very important. But, we're comparing apples and oranges. Unless you intend to race the car, its pick the driving experience you like.

Lastly, the bunny's ECU is in his head and I would not want to see the ECU toasted from too many pancakes. Bunnies aren't smart but they're happy being single minded sex demons. I suggest we remove one pancake and lessen the heat and downforce before he overheats and screws his mates brains out.