Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:06 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil loss

Hi, I'm new to this web site and have a question for you. I have an 05 Z non-revup and I find myself adding 2-3 quarts of oil in between changes. I change every 5000 miles with Royal Purple. I noticed oil and dirt build up on the driver side valve cover and the passenger side is clean. My car is at the dealer now and they're doing all kinds of compression tests they said. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be great thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a few people have had this problem, you can do a search and find all the old discussions about this problem.... taking it to nissan was theright choice.

welcome to the forums!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 AM
bofa

You're the first with non-revup that I've read about. Welcome to the club and I hope they take care of ya.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
05Z33

I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said that they may have to tear down my motor to see if my piston rings are bad. They said as soon as they get autherization from Nissan (which means payment) they will let me know. This sucks. At least if I had TT I would have them replace my internals with forged ones.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM
dbasal

As bofa mentioned, this is the most oil loss that I have heard of out of a non-revup engine. Sounds like the dealer is doing what they need to for you. Hopefully things will be taken care of properly.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Another factor is the quality of the initial break-in. My '03 preorder track model VQ35DE needed almost 3K before the rings sealed properly. After that, synthetics went in and I've had little problem with oil consumption.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:42 AM
05Z33

Got another call from the dealer and now they are telling me that my problem is due to my test pipes which is BS. The shop foreman said that the lack of back pressure is causing me to burn oil and they took pics of my exhaust and sent them to Nissan, I guess to void any warranty repairs. I know they have to prove that my mods caused the problem to void my warranty but what can I do to help my case. I could really use some help from you guys out there who have experienced these type of problems with warranty issues, any advise would be great. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Z_rican

Damn Nissan, Good luck man.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by 05Z33
Got another call from the dealer and now they are telling me that my problem is due to my test pipes which is BS. The shop foreman said that the lack of back pressure is causing me to burn oil and they took pics of my exhaust and sent them to Nissan, I guess to void any warranty repairs. I know they have to prove that my mods caused the problem to void my warranty but what can I do to help my case. I could really use some help from you guys out there who have experienced these type of problems with warranty issues, any advise would be great. Thank you.
hmm. GD Nissan not standing by their product. What a shock! They'll do anything to void a warranty.

Well, if they are saying that the pipes caused damage to something that is now in turn causing oil loss, then that is going to be a tough one, but they do still need some hard core proof as you mentioned. It does not sound like that is what they are saying, but I am sure they will get to that eventually when everything else is disproved.

If they are saying that the pipes are simply causing the loss, then you could just remove them and put the cats back in and see what happens.

Just a couple thoughts. Good luck with them. Nissan customer service still amazes me.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 AM
jpc350z

Driver side valve cover oil loss is not unusual.. many cars have this problem including me...Even with 2 changes to my gasket..However, 2-3 quarts berween oil changes seems way beyond a leaky gasket..The exhaust mod is B.S.. Many cars have them with no oil loss problems..
Old 01-26-2007, 09:58 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Z33
Let's start at the beginning: what kind of break-in procedure did you use? What type of oil was used in the first 3K and what kind of oil is being burned now?