Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Mobil 1 Oil Users - Motor oil discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
When did Mobil1 change to the cheaper formulation? Anything on the bottle to indicate which formulation it is?
+1. I'm curious as well.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derek173
Well how about this, go find every UOA of M1 in a vq35 you can find, then you will see what I have seen 95% of the time...high lead content (bearing wear)

M1 was a great oil, but it just wasnt a good oil for the Vq35. Get back to me when your done with your research.

No worries, as I have used M1 in my own car. I will certainly begin to ask around and chart my results from the responses I get, as well as my own findings.... Even from reading this thread I can tell that there are a lot of M1 users out there, not to mention that M1 is well-marketed.
So it went from never to 5% already. We'll see how accurate it is on a larger scale.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by thawk408
No I have not missed anything and no i didnt have the aftermarket pulley crap. I am not a forum newd like you may think. I have basiclly read every thead in the engine section ever sense i joined...I have not missed anything. Everything was done correct with a fuel return, utec, and tuned by Forged. I for the most part I like to think that I know what I am doing. My machine shop looked at my bearings and said "well that looks like an oiling problem". Some of my other bearings had above average wear on them. I told them I had used RP and they said they have never had good luck with RP.
I was not inferring that you were a 'noob' (I hope you meant that as opposed to naked ) I was just inferring that there are threads, many of them, of people who have screwed something up with the Greddy kits. The crank pully was a recurring issue I saw, so I merely asked if you had an A/M one.
Speaking of Forged, what has Sharif said about the situation? I don't mean to intrude if you mean to keep that part of the situation quiet. But I surely would like to hear. Also, how long has it been since you had the accident, and have you figured out exactly what the cause was? RP is widely regarded as good in many applications, and I have read all of the user replies and such about the oil. The results are better than some, not better than some. What oil did you use for break-in? I see you used Castrol and M1 before that. Which oils exactly were they, I'd like to compare them to the RP you used to see how many characteristics are different. What are you using now? Cheers
Old 03-07-2007, 02:53 PM
dubbzdiggler

Isn't fake synthetic kind of redundant? Where do you get the German oil?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
derek173

Originally Posted by Resolute

Again, this is a dead horse and if anyone really wants to look at the issues at hand then there is an entire site for it. A person can spend the next several weeks doing nothing but looking through post after post covering the suspected change over at the oil drop forum.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru....php?Cat=0&C=2
Bobs is a great website , I just dont think many people here are too interested on reading about oils and I think I made It known that most of my info is from Bob is the Oil Guy. Anyways I am going on their opinions on what s going on with oil the same way I look at people opinions here...because I am no expert. Most members seem to believe they did change the forumla. I also agree 100% you cant know whats going on unless you test. However long before I stumbled upon Bobs or even cared that much about oil, I had seen a few UOAs of M1 (old forumla) showing poor results on the VQ35.

German Castrol was a big secret to me I guess lol. When I first got to Bobs all posts regarding "what oil should I use?" A mention of GC was always in the replies. Then I saw a few UOAs of GC in the VQ and was very impressed!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 PM
derek173

Originally Posted by dubbzdiggler
Isn't fake synthetic kind of redundant? Where do you get the German oil?
you think thats redundant lol.. at the oil forum they call regular castrol syntec a real fake synthetic and M1 a fake fake Synthetic

also its a castrol syntec 0w-30 which is made in Germany. Its not made from the same ingredients as the other castrol syntecs.

Auto-zone sells its, recently read that Audi dealers also sell it.

Last edited by derek173; 03-07-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
danyeru

Derek,

It seems you have found tests on different oils, i am guessing from Bobs website. Have you seen any Test as the ones you posted on page 5 for Amsoil in a 350Z engine? I used Amsoil in my first oil change and ran it for 7k miles with no problems and great gas mileage. (averaged 19 city and 28mpg driving cross country from Va to Tx). Last oil change i used penzoil Platinum (thats what the nissan dealership said anyways) and have not been getting gas mileage as good as the amsoil was getting. (now averaging 15-17mpg city with 0 highways miles)
Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute
Group V esthers.... Redline, Motul, and such... I defer you to the oil drop forum to do your own research and decide for yourselves.
Will
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru....php?Cat=0&C=2
I've been to that forum several times, and to be honest, it's not the easiest thing in the world to read through old posts, and asking new questions elicits non-helpful responses most of the time.

Frankly, I don't understand half the **** they're talking about, and I'm a freaking chemical engineer. (Forum members there get off on using jargon which I don't care to learn, and only a small handful of people seem like they know what they're talking about)

So, that said, care to summarize YOUR findings and YOUR opinions? I'm not letting you get off with saying "just go search"

YOUR opinion on the best oil for the VQ? The oil you use in YOUR car?

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 03-08-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went and picked up 5 Qts of GC at Autozone to have on hand for my next oil change. I'll stick with the same M1-110 filter I've been using with Mobil1 oil, so picked up one of those as well. Total came to about $42; not bad, since it'll last me a year.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danyeru
Derek,

It seems you have found tests on different oils, i am guessing from Bobs website. Have you seen any Test as the ones you posted on page 5 for Amsoil in a 350Z engine? I used Amsoil in my first oil change and ran it for 7k miles with no problems and great gas mileage. (averaged 19 city and 28mpg driving cross country from Va to Tx). Last oil change i used penzoil Platinum (thats what the nissan dealership said anyways) and have not been getting gas mileage as good as the amsoil was getting. (now averaging 15-17mpg city with 0 highways miles)
thats about the worst way to judge an oils performance. so many variables involved, i would never even consider using mpg as source to judge oil.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 AM
derek173

Originally Posted by Nexx
thats about the worst way to judge an oils performance. so many variables involved, i would never even consider using mpg as source to judge oil.
I agree MPG cant tell you how well the oil is protecting your engine. Some people lost/gained MPG simply by switching oil weights. You could run a 5w-20 in your engine and gain MPG, I wouldnt
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Went and picked up 5 Qts of GC at Autozone to have on hand for my next oil change. I'll stick with the same M1-110 filter I've been using with Mobil1 oil, so picked up one of those as well. Total came to about $42; not bad, since it'll last me a year.

all reports I've seen have showed that M1 filters are good stuff

Only complaints I've seen are it's too expensive

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 03-08-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
all reports I've seen have showed that M1 filters are good stuff

Only complaints I've seen are it's too expensive
Yeah, I've been happy with them. The M1-108 is actually the same size as stock, but the M1-110 is the same size base with a longer filter, so it's my filter of choice. They run right around $10.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
derek173

Yeah, I've been happy with them. The M1-108 is actually the same size as stock, but the M1-110 is the same size base with a longer filter, so it's my filter of choice. They run right around $10.
M1 def makes a great filter, check out Purolator filters same efficiency, less money.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I've been to that forum several times, and to be honest, it's not the easiest thing in the world to read through old posts, and asking new questions elicits non-helpful responses most of the time.

Frankly, I don't understand half the **** they're talking about, and I'm a freaking chemical engineer. (Forum members there get off on using jargon which I don't care to learn, and only a small handful of people seem like they know what they're talking about)

So, that said, care to summarize YOUR findings and YOUR opinions? I'm not letting you get off with saying "just go search"

YOUR opinion on the best oil for the VQ? The oil you use in YOUR car?
It can be a tough site, but if anyone really cares enough about oil to question if M1 is any good, then they probably will find it worthwhile to spend some time over there learning the basics. Bob has a good set of links on the main page to help learn the lingo and the important tests, and how to read the results: www.bobistheoilguy.com

I don't know if M1 changed or not. I have the same suspicions as most people do on the other site, but I have sen UOA that support the claim they have not changed their base stock. I have some old M1 SL that I stocked up on, before they switched to the newer SuperSyn about a year or so ago. It is excellent and has tested very well. I just finished a 7500 mile interval and debated sending another smple in to Blackstone. Probably won't, the last one came out so good I'm not worried. It's the 0W-30.

When it runs out, I'm not sure what I'll do since the stock I have is long since discontinued. Hence my own personal reasons to see a thread dedicated to people posting UOA's instead of opinions. Guys can post all day long how Xbrand is the **** and gets xxx mpg, is used on the space shuttle, and since they've been using it chicks dig them, crime has gone down, and their car cleans itself. But where are the facts? Instead of oil brand, people could just as well be asking whether the APS or JWT TT kit is better. Posting oil analysis will give people who care a tool to make up their own mind, just as dyno sheets and sound clips and videos help people make a decision on TT kits. Otherwise, we'll just have a bunch of opinions, a lot of B.S., and page after page of argument. So a thread where people post what car they have with a VQ in it, miles in between changes, consumption at the change interval, and any other traits they think they noticed (mpg, noise, etc...) and then a UOA sheet would be great. Then people can start to see actual trends with oil brands and draw their own conclusions.
Will
Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derek173
Bobs is a great website , I just dont think many people here are too interested on reading about oils and I think I made It known that most of my info is from Bob is the Oil Guy. Anyways I am going on their opinions on what s going on with oil the same way I look at people opinions here...because I am no expert. Most members seem to believe they did change the forumla. I also agree 100% you cant know whats going on unless you test. However long before I stumbled upon Bobs or even cared that much about oil, I had seen a few UOAs of M1 (old forumla) showing poor results on the VQ35.

German Castrol was a big secret to me I guess lol. When I first got to Bobs all posts regarding "what oil should I use?" A mention of GC was always in the replies. Then I saw a few UOAs of GC in the VQ and was very impressed!
I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, my apologies if it came across as such. I just think a link to the site would have been easier rather than copying quotes back and forth. Besides, all the info on whether or not M1 changed base stocks is already there, and would never fit in a single thread on this site.

The GC is really good stuff, and if it was readily available, I would probably use it when my stock runs out. You can't go wrong with it, that's for sure. Although, there is also suspicion that the GC is no longer available. Since 0W oils have become more popular for cars besides German marques, Castrol U.S. has started to supply their own. I guess the CAS numbers have changed or dissapeared on what used to GC bottles. I don't know, since I've never looked into it, just another rumer like M1. But with less attention.
Will
Old 03-09-2007, 01:01 AM
sw150

Good info I was thinking about switching to this stuff not sure yet.
http://www.eneos.us/web/default.aspx
Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Derek Dee

Royal Purple is not a true synthetic. And yes it's a purple dye in there.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
derek173

GC is on sale at autozone right now for $4.49! great price
Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Roger V

So Castrol 5w-30 from Walmart it is? Do they sell it in the big jugs like M1?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil Users - Motor oil discussion thread