Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Pedal Drop

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 PM
shanecrosby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal Drop

when I hit a corner realllllly hard, or go WOT and turn, my pedals drop closer to the floor. very dangerous I might add. this also happens when I go straight at WOT and hit brakes immediately after letting off the gas pedal. -the brake pedal will be atleast an inch below normal. it changes my braking power and everything. can anyone help me find the problem? Nissan doesn't drive the car the way I do. they don't see the problem. it is definately a problem I've had a friend take the car and perform the driving described above. he said he definately felt the same thing. all 3 pedals dropped to the floor. -try doing a 180 in the Z and see what happens to your brake pedals. any response is much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are feeling pad kickback, I never noticed it on my floating piston brakes but when I upgraded to the Track brakes I found really hard turns would cause a low pedal on the first stab. There are a few threads here about it and it is also talked about on the Stoptech website.
Chris
Old 04-23-2007, 05:29 AM
shanecrosby

pedal kickback seems very unsafe. hard driving can lead to emergency stops. push down on the brake pedal and find that you haven't the same braking power and precision could lead to an accident. is there a fix to this?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 AM
LeMans 05

My car does it too. Nissan also told me everything was fine. The pad knockback is extremely annoying to me, and if anyone knows a solution to this, please let us know.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 AM
shanecrosby

though this does happen to just my brake pedal at times, I've also had it happen to all three pedals when drifting a corner, or lifting up the tires while making a U Turn. why the hell does this happen?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by shanecrosby
though this does happen to just my brake pedal at times, I've also had it happen to all three pedals when drifting a corner, or lifting up the tires while making a U Turn. why the hell does this happen?
No idea why it would happen to all three, the way the pedals are connected to the firewall, I don't know how the gas pedal would ever change.

Chris
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 AM
shanecrosby

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
No idea why it would happen to all three, the way the pedals are connected to the firewall, I don't know how the gas pedal would ever change.

Chris

go do a couple 180's in an empty parking lot. :-)

SOMEONE GO GET STUPID IN YOUR Z. SPIN IT IN A COUPLE CIRCLES, 1st gear to 2nd, drop the clutch while in a turn. it'll whip you around pretty fast. check your pedals afterwards, hahaha. I know it sounds ridiculous.... lol
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, this is caused by pad knockback and is very common with the tracking guys, especially ones who have fixed calipers like Brembo, Stoptech, AP, etc. The hubs on our 350Z/G35 flex too much during hard cornering. Do a search on "pad knockback" and you'll find some good stuff over on the autox/road racing forum. Also Stoptech has a really good whitepaper explaining what this is all about.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml
Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
shanecrosby

anyone have there clutch pedal stick about an inch from fully disengaged? I can lift mine the rest of the way up with my toes, but it sticks again next time..
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by dklau33
Yes, this is caused by pad knockback and is very common with the tracking guys, especially ones who have fixed calipers like Brembo, Stoptech, AP, etc. The hubs on our 350Z/G35 flex too much during hard cornering. Do a search on "pad knockback" and you'll find some good stuff over on the autox/road racing forum. Also Stoptech has a really good whitepaper explaining what this is all about.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml
^^^ Good article~ :-)