Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

**** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my diff back from Injected Performance. They said the 4.08 conversion took them a little longer to do, but everything went smoothly. They definitely know their stuff. :-)

Being the perfectionist that I am, I went ahead and cracked the pumpkin back open to check it out. I think it's cool how they marked everything during the rebuild. According to the FSM, I have a rough idea of what they had to do, which only strengthens my respect for their expertise and talent.

I painted dialectic grease on the ring & pinion gear teeth and slowly rotated the gear assembly, to ensure the teeth were fully engaging and meshing consistently with what the FSM calls for. They look perfect. Next I checked the shim tolerances with a feeler gauge. Those too were within spec. So I buttoned it back up and will install it in the next few days. The true test will be (hopefully) no whine on acceleration, deceleration, or constant speed.

Shipping was brutal. This (and the rebuild kit) were shipped via UPS Freight on a big pallet @ 135lbs. UPS managed to break my breather tube fitting clean off. Luckily I had a spare and replaced it. The bastards also bent one of the fins on my Nismo diff cover. I was able to carefully bend it back without breaking it.

Anyway, here's a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails **** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****-dsc02387.jpg   **** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****-dsc02388.jpg   **** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****-dsc02394.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 06-24-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cool!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
L. Baggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the?? This girl is more mechanically inclined than me...
Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by L. Baggins
+1 lol
Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yep...she's hardcore
Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 PM
gothchick

Lol~ I'm actually pretty fem outside of this hobbie. I guess that's why it seems to surprise people when they realize just how much I'm into it. I got to chatting with the UPS guy today when he delivered my pumpkin. He was curious why he was delivering it to my house instead of a shop of some kind, and asked who would be installing it. He was shocked when I told him it was just lil' ol' me... Thought I was pulling his leg. Lol. Oh well, I guess there's worse things people can get addicted too... Maybe cars in general will become obsolete soon with gas getting so expensive. Oh the irony.

I'm guessing this thing needs about a 500 mile break in? The LSD is the stock one that came with the car. I bought some cheap Pennzoil non-synthetic GL5 80w90 gear oil to do the break in. Then I have some good Amsoil Synthetic 75w90 GL5 for after it's broken in.

Last edited by gothchick; 06-24-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:57 PM
L. Baggins

Originally Posted by gothchick
Lol~ I'm actually pretty fem outside of this hobbie. I guess that's why it seems to surprise people when they realize just how much I'm into it. I got to chatting with the UPS guy today when he delivered my pumpkin. He was curious why he was delivering it to my house instead of a shop of some kind, and asked who would be installing it. He was shocked when I told him it was just lil' ol' me... Thought I was pulling his leg. Lol. Oh well, I guess there's worse things people can get addicted too... Maybe cars in general will become obsolete soon with gas getting so expensive. Oh the irony.

I'm guessing this thing needs about a 500 mile break in? The LSD is the stock one that came with the car. I bought some cheap Pennzoil non-synthetic GL5 80w90 gear oil to do the break in. Then I have some good Amsoil Synthetic 75w90 GL5 for after it's broken in.
you're kidding me...

girl... I bow down to you... lol
Old 06-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no break in needed
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 AM
laze1

I can confirm that Ms. Gothchick is a very NIZE lookin' women, as I have had the pleasure of meeting her.

Lol~ I'm actually pretty fem outside of this hobbie. I guess that's why it seems to surprise people when they realize just how much I'm into it. I
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Glad to see that you got your gears put in, Erin.

Now get ready for the most fun yet... Driving it after you put it in... You're going to love it!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by __jb

Now get ready for the most fun yet... Driving it after you put it in... You're going to love it!
Yea I cannot wait! I have a couple more weeks yet till I can buy the install kits and pay the installation. I have the gears though
Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
gothchick

Originally Posted by laze1
I can confirm that Ms. Gothchick is a very NIZE lookin' women, as I have had the pleasure of meeting her.
Thx John! You're quite handsome yourself~ :-)

How are those Brembo Rotors doing? You were going to auto-x them, if I remember correctly?

Originally Posted by __jb

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. My boss said I can come in late tomarrow, so I can install the diff in the morning and drive it to work. :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 06-25-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Thumbs up

Congrats Gothchick

You are really going to enjoy it.. I still love mine.. Drove a stock geared z the other day.. Boy, you really can tell the difference.

Later
Todd
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 PM
laze1

I have used them up, and a couple more sets of fronts rotors.... I track about once a month, and doing NASA Time Trials now too, so I go thru rotors (and pads and tires) pretty quickly. That is why I want to check out your new diff and gears....they should make me go faster...and in TT that all that matters!

Note: I buy Centric rotors when I can't find good used OEM ones....

You should join me sometime....a great event for all skill levels is coming up soon @ CMP Aug 2nd with the Atlanta S2000 Club..it is open to anybody...instructors are available.

We usually caravan over, spend the night, drive hard and party just a little bit.. but we always have fun

#######################################################
Track Day: Carolina Motorsports Park 08/02/08
The S2000 Atlanta club is pleased to announce a joint track day with Turn One Track Events on the new full course.

Our goal is to have 1 run group with just our group. This will only happen if we have a high participation rate. Otherwise we will be grouped according to their standards.

The requirements to run this raceway will be: a SCCA approved helment (Snell 95 or higher), long pants, valid driver's license, insurance, and closed toe shoes. You will also need to have arm restraints if you wish to run your car with the top down.

Payment Information
We have the the opportunity to receive 10% off of the cost per person if we have atleast 10 people sign up. This will be settled following the trackday.

Please complete this form
For Events Date Enter "August 2nd - S2KAtlanta"
CMP Accepts, Credit Cards, Check and even Paypal. Instructions are included on the form.

The cost will be $195 for those that sign up at least 2 weeks prior to the event. With in 2 weeks there will be an additional $35 charge.

They also offer instructors for an additional $50. I encourage anyone that is a novice or beginner to please take advantage, as if you are seen as an unsafe driver, you will be pulled off.

Instructors will not be required for those with intermediate experience at track days.

We will allow passengers.

Last edited by laze1; 06-25-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:18 PM
laze1

I forgot to add that I am looking tu buy a stock Diff/Pumkin to build out with gears and Locker,,,anybody got one cheap in the Atlanta Area?

I will consider an Open diff or VLSD...VLSD preferred...
Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM
gothchick

Originally Posted by aceman
Congrats Gothchick

You are really going to enjoy it.. I still love mine.. Drove a stock geared z the other day.. Boy, you really can tell the difference.

Later
Todd
Thanks Todd. Yeah there is a big difference. With all the newer and faster cars coming out, I hope this mod future-proofs my car long enough for me to do a full build with all the fixins. :-)

Got the diff installed this morning. It's definitely faster than the ford focus rental car I've been driving for the last week and a half. Lol!

As far as I can tell, Injected Performance did a perfect job on the gear conversion. No whining or humming on accel, decel, or constant speed. No clicking, clunking, thumping, or anything else unusual. In fact, if it wasn't for the gear ratio being shorter, you'd never even know the diff has been regeared. It's very quiet and non-intrusive.

It does pull harder now though... I'm running Toyo TR1 285/30/19 in the rear, and am having severe traction issues in 1st, breaking it loose pretty good in 2nd, and healthy chirping in 3rd. It totally hooks up by 4th, but I can definitely feel the sway bar trying to do it's job in keeping the rear stable... I didn't have this 'problem' with the old 3.5 gears. Guess it's a good 'problem' to have. Lol~ :-)

And another upside is; when the weather cools down from summer daily ambient 95F ~ 100F temps, I'll be making that much better power. Should be fun. :-)
Attached Thumbnails **** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****-dsc02397.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 06-26-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
laze1

So you definitely feel that this mod is worth the $$$$$$$$$$$?

What was the total cost...excluding pain/suffering/rental car?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

good stuff.....enjoy it, and use it well!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:12 PM
gothchick

Originally Posted by laze1
So you definitely feel that this mod is worth the $$$$$$$$$$$?

What was the total cost...excluding pain/suffering/rental car?
Well, I wouldn't compare it to a turbo or SC... But you definitely feel the gains. Money is such a relative thing, but for me personally - definitely worth it.

Excluding the rental car, this lil' mod cost me $1,432.
With the rental car, I was close to $1,900.

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
good stuff.....enjoy it, and use it well!
Thanks Adam. I have a perpetual smile on my face now... Until I get used to this, and go for something more extreme. But ain't that the way it always works?! Lol~

I have a girl friend at work who mods and races M3s in various competitions. She's as fanatical about M3s as I am about Zs. We're gonna go out sometime & see how well my car does against hers. Lol~

Last edited by gothchick; 06-26-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Glad to see that you got the diff back in and are up and running... I know exactly what smile you have... 4.08 gears rock!

Probably the best performance mod there is for an NA VQ...

Congratulations !

Quick Reply: **** 4.083 Gears/Final Drive Installed****