Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 Base Model Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
mcarlomagno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Base Model Rear End

Ok guys, new to the 350Z (not new to cars). Again, I have a base model HR, and I was curious about the differential because all but the base model have LSD, but I was thinking, there's no way they'd put 306hp on an open differential. The other day I decided to check it out, and I layed down two strips of rubber. Now if I don't have a locked rear end, and I'm not supposed to have LSD, why am I spinning both tires?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
n1sm0r

Yeah it's happened before in Open differential cars. I don't necessarily think it was powering both wheels, but rather the power was transferring back and forth at a really high rate of speed. You have an open differential Period.

Get a VLSD, you can find them used for around $200
Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by n1sm0r
Yeah it's happened before in Open differential cars. I don't necessarily think it was powering both wheels, but rather the power was transferring back and forth at a really high rate of speed. You have an open differential Period.

Get a VLSD, you can find them used for around $200
Yup. The first thing I did to my base was get an lsd. End of story, you have an open diff.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got an '05 base and it's nothing to put down two nice patches of rubber through 1st and 2nd. You are doing it somewhere where you have decent traction. Not impossible. Now try and make very fast turn left or right from a dead stop (like from a 2 way stop onto a small highway and try and get going up to speed as FAST as you can) and experience the inside rear wheel spin away and you are not really going anywhere. This is where the VLSD would be great daily. Not surprised at all you can put down two patches straight. Go to the DRAG racing section and look through some posts in there. Most of those guys will tell a first timer that the VLSD is not really necessary on a stock base car becuase you've got plenty of traction at the strip. Youv'e got to decide if your daily habits warrant, or if you plan to do any road course or autocross time in the Z warrants getting a LSD. Since you have a base - if you get a different rear beware that in rain or snow you have no safety net and any slipping while trying to turn could result in the rear end spinning uncontrollably if you overdo it or don't know what to do. It will surely behave much different that the open diff. Having an open diff is a little like having some "traction control" in the winter or any slick condition. One wheel will start to spin and the rear will step out just a little as a warning rather that the whole end swinging around quickly. Just be careful and you'll be fine though. Have you experienced anything where you felt like you really needed LSD on the street??
Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM
mcarlomagno

Originally Posted by bjr
I've got an '05 base and it's nothing to put down two nice patches of rubber through 1st and 2nd. You are doing it somewhere where you have decent traction. Not impossible. Now try and make very fast turn left or right from a dead stop (like from a 2 way stop onto a small highway and try and get going up to speed as FAST as you can) and experience the inside rear wheel spin away and you are not really going anywhere. This is where the VLSD would be great daily. Not surprised at all you can put down two patches straight. Go to the DRAG racing section and look through some posts in there. Most of those guys will tell a first timer that the VLSD is not really necessary on a stock base car becuase you've got plenty of traction at the strip. Youv'e got to decide if your daily habits warrant, or if you plan to do any road course or autocross time in the Z warrants getting a LSD. Since you have a base - if you get a different rear beware that in rain or snow you have no safety net and any slipping while trying to turn could result in the rear end spinning uncontrollably if you overdo it or don't know what to do. It will surely behave much different that the open diff. Having an open diff is a little like having some "traction control" in the winter or any slick condition. One wheel will start to spin and the rear will step out just a little as a warning rather that the whole end swinging around quickly. Just be careful and you'll be fine though. Have you experienced anything where you felt like you really needed LSD on the street??
nah, it was purely out of curiosity - for now. i'm using the Z as my daily driver right now, but i have all my typical bolt ons and suspension modifications planned for the future and i'd like to track it sometime soon and compare myself in the future with these mods. i've raced go-karts and raced a stock car before - i love road tracks so much more.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 PM
mcarlomagno

thanks for the help though, everyone
Old 10-26-2007, 05:18 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mcarlomagno
thanks for the help though, everyone
If you track it alot you'll probably find you want one then. And based on what you've driven you probably didn't need the other advice. Oh well, good luck.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:49 PM
warmmilk

don't waste ur money on a stock vlsd, its nearly useless. i spin the inside tire with ease when making rapid start right hand turns. just fork out the $$$ for a real lsd

i'm planning on getting quaife when the time rolls around to get one. there is also one thats in development right now, its also a mechanical lsd, so maybe that one instead if it come to the market in time, i forgot the name of it though. i'm just not a fan of clutch lsd's (not saying that they're bad or anything, just not my thing), but for ur car, its ur choice
Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 PM
VitViper

I love my Nismo LSD. Virtually silent with the Motul diff fluid. I've got a fairly aggressive lock (80%) so it can make for interesting slow start turns from stop signs/red lights on really bumpy intersections.

However rapid right hand turns from stop signs rule. Going almost WOT into the turn and taking off down the street 4TW!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 PM
ssnake86

Last edited by ssnake86; 10-29-2007 at 05:54 PM.