Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 AM
windsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential?

Hey, guys. I have an '08 350Z base-6 spd and was interested in taking it to the drag strip one of these days for some fun. I noticed that it does have traction issues and always gets sideways when I accelerate hard. I recently read that all base models have the non-limited slip diff. If this is so, I don't understand how my car leaves two patches when I nail it from a stop. My sticker says nothing about any special order parts. Can someone explain what may be going on? I planned to get a quality LSD before drag-strip duty, but don't want to waste my money if I won't benefit. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you misunderstand the primary purpose of limited slip differential. It is not straight line acceleration.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM
windsor

Doesn't a non-limited slip diff only give traction to the passenger rear in all conditions?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by windsor
Doesn't a non-limited slip diff only give traction to the passenger rear in all conditions?

Look at the inside rear tire. This tire has little if any traction. Limited slip differential applies torque to the outside wheel – the wheel with traction.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
windsor

I do understand what the limited slip does. I need clarification of what my 350Z Base has. If it is an open differential, would it only apply power to one wheel at all times or does it grab both at times? I've had mustangs with limited slip that wouldn't always power both tires unless I backed it up, and I've had non-lsd cars that would only spin the passenger rear.

What I'm getting to is: Can I get some sticky tires for the rear and count on both tires getting power to them or is it just random that both of my rear tires have been getting power with my Base model? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
SteevoZ

Its by chance. If both wheels break lose as the same time than you'll get a patch for both. But i doubt u will be able to keep both spinning at the same time for very long. One of them is bound to catch grip before the other sooner or later, thus making just one spin for the rest of the time.

Thats how i believe it works.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windsor
If it is an open differential, would it only apply power to one wheel at all times or does it grab both at times?
The bse model has an open differential.

Even with an open differential, the same amount of power is applied to both wheels. And as long as both wheels have equal traction, both will turn at the same rate.

bill
Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the conditions are the same for both back wheels (eg. same weight on each one, same surface under each one) there is no need for an LSD.

So if you're drag racing on a smooth well surfaced drag strip as you should be, there's not really any need for an LSD.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
windsor

Thanks, guys for your knowledge!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 AM
WalkerT
Professional

I have had two base model Z's and I have been to the track alot. You will do a one wheel burn out and one wheel launch. Here is why.

You pull up to the tree ( drive around the water box) and do a burn out one wheel will get nice and sticky then you pull up to the line and the nonsticky one will go up in smoke. The best result I had was to do one burn out and then back up and do another. This way they will be close to the same temp and stickyness. But even then the difference in weight and power transfer will own you. Your best bet is to get an LSD. I just install the nismo lsd in mine and it is a totally different car. Base with LSD is the $hit! You dont have the TCS/VCD crap trying to control the car and it is a beast in the turns.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:11 AM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moflow
As long as the conditions are the same for both back wheels (eg. same weight on each one, same surface under each one) there is no need for an LSD.

So if you're drag racing on a smooth well surfaced drag strip as you should be, there's not really any need for an LSD.
On paper.

TK
Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by WalkerT
I have had two base model Z's and I have been to the track alot. You will do a one wheel burn out and one wheel launch. Here is why.

You pull up to the tree ( drive around the water box) and do a burn out one wheel will get nice and sticky then you pull up to the line and the nonsticky one will go up in smoke. The best result I had was to do one burn out and then back up and do another. This way they will be close to the same temp and stickyness. But even then the difference in weight and power transfer will own you. Your best bet is to get an LSD. I just install the nismo lsd in mine and it is a totally different car. Base with LSD is the $hit! You dont have the TCS/VCD crap trying to control the car and it is a beast in the turns.
No need to do a burn out with street tires. Drive around the water, yes. You might spin them for a couple revolutions only, just to knock off any debris, like small rocks and so forth. But that's all you need to do. A Quaife ATB differential will continuously/seamlessly transfer torque to the rear tire with the most traction. So it will benefit you, even in a straight line. The Quaife needs no maintenance, and it is guaranteed for life, even under racing conditions. It's bulletproof. Have fun with it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM
WalkerT
Professional

I spin them two to three revolutions and then pull forward. On street tires there is a perfect temp right before they start dusting. I still reffer to this as a burn out even if they dont smoke.
Street tire 125 degress
DR 200 degress
Slicks 220+
I think that these are the temps but it at least gives you an idea.