Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Forged Tuned stock motor w/ bolt ons & cams results!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noice. yeah a properly setup 300 whp N/A Z thats under 3200 pounds with a good sticky non-staggered setup would fair pretty well up there. I'd still take Killboy since that Evo is pushing 350 awhp and hes runnin slicks on it half the time...plus he lives there. ya gonna be up there for Zdayz though thawk?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

believe me it's all in good fun I'm not racing anyone on any public roads...car cost too much and I'm too old for that crap
Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM
ke0ki2k

ahhh you can do it safely if you're a descent driver, you can remain calm, and you know the road. I've only actually raced somebody 10/10ths once or twice up there. it's a little spooky at the limit around some of the left handers...just gotta know when to push and when to back off the throttle.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey guys, looks like N/A build-ups are welcome.

See post here from Dil: https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=105

Looking forward to meeting you guys.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
noice. yeah a properly setup 300 whp N/A Z thats under 3200 pounds with a good sticky non-staggered setup would fair pretty well up there. I'd still take Killboy since that Evo is pushing 350 awhp and hes runnin slicks on it half the time...plus he lives there. ya gonna be up there for Zdayz though thawk?
Yeah I will be. My car is down at the moment getting some upgrades. Hope I can get it wrapped up before Zdays.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
rbfd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, sorry for the delayed post. Things have been crazy since the Saturday (dynojet day). On the way to the dyno I was playing around with a friend in an 07 Z and did a fly by, when I did I ended up riding the rev limiter in 3rd for a good couple of seconds because i had to get off at an exit quickly and the car got there so quickly. I immediately could tell something was wrong and my car was running rough. We got to the dyno and I hoped it was something small/stupid and dyno'd anyways, lets just say the numbers were VERY dissapointing. Under 260whp and under 230wtq... My friend with the 07 is a Nissan tech and his bone stock 07 put down 263whp. After the dyno we raced, and again my car got STOMPED! The night before i was hanging with a 340WHP evo 9 from 40-125, so something was obviously wrong. Since then I have determined I bent some valves via floating. My rev limit was raised to 7000 at my request to better match the gearing I was going to be adding. Because of this, i have decided that rather than tear down my car, I am just going to take it back to stock, sell it/trade it in, and get a HR most likely. My need for a higher redline and how impressed I was with the new Z all played part in this, I would also like to get involved with finding new things for the HR. Sorry guys, but any one who wants any of my parts let me know, somethings are already sold, but some are still available.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by thawk408
Yeah I will be. My car is down at the moment getting some upgrades. Hope I can get it wrapped up before Zdays.
what all ya dropping in?

and sorry to here that OP...you'll enjoy that HR though, especially as the aftermarket matures...you'll be at 300 rwhp with boltons and a tune..cant imagine what it'll be after cams..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rbfd
Hey, sorry for the delayed post. Things have been crazy since the Saturday (dynojet day). On the way to the dyno I was playing around with a friend in an 07 Z and did a fly by, when I did I ended up riding the rev limiter in 3rd for a good couple of seconds because i had to get off at an exit quickly and the car got there so quickly. I immediately could tell something was wrong and my car was running rough. We got to the dyno and I hoped it was something small/stupid and dyno'd anyways, lets just say the numbers were VERY dissapointing. Under 260whp and under 230wtq... My friend with the 07 is a Nissan tech and his bone stock 07 put down 263whp. After the dyno we raced, and again my car got STOMPED! The night before i was hanging with a 340WHP evo 9 from 40-125, so something was obviously wrong. Since then I have determined I bent some valves via floating. My rev limit was raised to 7000 at my request to better match the gearing I was going to be adding. Because of this, i have decided that rather than tear down my car, I am just going to take it back to stock, sell it/trade it in, and get a HR most likely. My need for a higher redline and how impressed I was with the new Z all played part in this, I would also like to get involved with finding new things for the HR. Sorry guys, but any one who wants any of my parts let me know, somethings are already sold, but some are still available.
Man, sorry to hear . I wouldn't think 7k would do it, even riding it for a few secs... Good luck with the part out and sale.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by rbfd
Sorry to hear
Old 03-22-2008, 06:42 AM
OCG35
Banned

so was it the cams? springs?... long thread with an unhappy ending - but details to what caused the failure would be good.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OCG35
so was it the cams? springs?... long thread with an unhappy ending - but details to what caused the failure would be good.
Unfortunately, your not going to get an answer. The OP has chosen to sell or trade-in the car.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it impossible that there is a bent valve as well...you would absolutely hear this, and it wouldn't sound good. Not to mention that 7k rpm, even on stock springs, is not enough to cause valve float...especially on such mild cams (the ramps on the std. NISMO cams are lazy, and not at all aggressive - in fact NISMO themselves says they are suitable for use with stock springs). I'd guess the problem lies elsewhere, but it's impossible to say where without alot more details
Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 AM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Unfortunately, your not going to get an answer. The OP has chosen to sell or trade-in the car.
yes, I read that... however I was hoping he at least determined the reason for failure. The reason I'm wondering is because I'm considering getting cams... typically hitting the rev limiter at 7K wouldn't be an issue... So would it behoove me (or anyone else) to be certain to upgrade springs? Would a mild cam with stock springs cause this? I don’t imaging it was an install issue - but I suppose that’s a question as well...

Edit: OOPs - the post above went as I was typing my questions... thanks - you answered before my questions posted

Last edited by OCG35; 03-22-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

price for your Haltech?

Sorry for the mishap OP. Hope things workout with your new plans.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 AM
rbfd

My guess as to what happened, is that while pegging off rev limiter at speed it may have gone over 7k rpms, there is a ticking that is coming from the heads that is louder than before. I agree the Nismo cams are not agressive enough to alone warrant springs/retainers, but nismo does not approve them with a higher redline, so? The haltech is pending sale, and I am awaiting payment, if I dont recieve it, then I will let you know!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:50 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

any info on the 3" exhaust and Ypipe?

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
rbfd

Originally Posted by NA&CH
any info on the 3" exhaust and Ypipe?

Thanks

Chris

The Y-pipe has sold, I need to get a sound clip up of my exhaust though, I will try to take one today.

Nick
Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 PM
rbfd

If you want the sound clips for the exhaust PM me your e-mail!