Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaiffe LSD explain please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008 | 02:39 PM
whitebwoy

Default Quaiffe LSD explain please!!

I tried searching this, but I didn't knwo what to search and I was stuck reading thru a shitload of pages and not getting what I want.

I have a base model, but I never drove it base, I bought a QUAIFFE LSD before I got the car, while the car was in the garage for some repairs (bought damaged), I changed out the LSD.

Now, sometimes I am going up a driveway, or I might be going over a small water way on a road or something, and the car will be stuck on one front wheel and the opposite back wheel. I'll literally be stuck there if I rolled up onto to it, because one rear wheel will just spin and the other doesnt even budge. NOTHING!! I have to rock the car by revving it up, or by me jumping up and down in the car till the tire spinnning radically touches the ground and then the other wheel starts spinning.

NOW... I was always under the impression LSD - Limited Slip Diff, keyword 'limited', meant no matter what both wheels get power, unlike without LSD one tire spins if the other has no traction.... So what the hell is my Quaiffe doing??//

I asked someone who I thought would know, and he replied that the Quaiffe is a mechanical LSD and doesn't use a clutch, but it uses torque. So the the more torque being applied the more power it'l put to both wheels. But isn't that what a normal Diff does??

Very confused! Someone please xplain.
Old 11-11-2008 | 04:32 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by whitebwoy
I might be going over a small water way on a road or something, and the car will be stuck on one front wheel and the opposite back wheel. I'll literally be stuck there if I rolled up onto to it, because one rear wheel will just spin and the other doesnt even budge.
You are describing a situation with two tires off the ground? Geez. Forget slip differential. Maybe you need a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:26 AM
whitebwoy

Lol! You're right. People ask me how the hell I drive around a car 1" off the ground on these roads down here... The funny part is I'm able to manouvre over areas that SUV's turn around for. It's hilarious!! Just last week there was flooding here and I live on a hill, and everyone was trying to get off, and there was an overflowing gully that everyone stopped for because the SUV in front was afraid to manouvre over it. I actually just went around everyone and crossed in my little car on friggin 20's. EVERYONE was soo pissed that they'd been waiting in traffic and flew around the SUV after me. Lol!!

Anyway, yes, one front wheel on the ground and the opposite side rear wheel on the ground, and I'm as good as a beetle on it's back. I thought LSD always gave both wheels power??? Isn't that the idea?/??
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:35 AM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by davidv
You are describing a situation with two tires off the ground? Geez. Forget slip differential. Maybe you need a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

i see your point...but...isn't the Quaife supposed to transfer power to the wheel with more grip? I was under the impressioni that the quaifes would allow one wheel to spin faster if being forced (i.e. turning and outer wheel spins faster) but that it would never let the motor drive a wheel faster than the other. That it would always transfer power to the slower moving wheel?

maybe i'm way off. i'll admit my ignorance on the subject.
Old 11-12-2008 | 08:52 AM
Asterix

All gear LSDs (Quaife or Torsen or TrueTrac) act like this. If one wheel has no traction, in the air or on ice, the other wheel with traction gets no torque. This LSD can only transfer up to some percentage of torque from one wheel to the other, say 50%. If one wheel is on grass and one on concrete, you'll still spin the wheel on grass, but the one on concrete will get some torque, but only half as much. If one wheel is in the air, you'll get no torque on the other because zero times 50% is still zero.

Google for "quaife lsd open wheel torque" to get lots of hits.

If you want/need traction when one wheel is in the air, you must have a locker or a clutch LSD. That's the only way.

Asterix
Old 11-12-2008 | 09:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

^ exactly
Old 11-12-2008 | 02:31 PM
whitebwoy

So in effect, does that make All gear LSD's (Quaiffe) inferior to Clutch type LSD's (Nismo, etc.)?

Don't worry, I search on google like you said and found a decent explanation of the differences.

Apparenlty clutch type LSD's are excellent for the drag strip, whereas the All Gear LSD (Quaife) tends to excel everywhere else, and isn't that bad at the drag strip either. (well, that's what I get from the few forums I just looked through.

Last edited by whitebwoy; 11-12-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2008 | 02:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

different yes, inferior no

all depends what you're using the car for, your wants/needs
Old 11-12-2008 | 03:44 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Do you have a 3.5 or 3.3 ring and pinion in your diff?
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:14 PM
whitebwoy

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Do you have a 3.5 or 3.3 ring and pinion in your diff?

aaaah, I haven't the slightest clue.
It's a base model, I bought the Quaife and told them to instal it. I was told the base model didn't need some special thing that the other versions needed in order for it to fit. So,,... basicallly I have no idea what ring an pinion is on it.

I drag race occasionally, but not seriously. I used to race a DC5-R with a race team, and whenever they go out to meets I enter the 350 just for fun. (I drag with the 20's on, which goes to show I'm really not serious at all. Lol)

But I do drive around pretty hard. I'd say it's just for better drivability on the streets more than anything.
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:17 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Is your car a automatic or 6MT?
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:23 PM
whitebwoy

6MT
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:25 PM
Crom

Old 11-13-2008 | 08:31 AM
Asterix

I have a vague recollection that it's possible on the TrueTrac to add preload that fixes this problem. That's not really relevant here because you can't fit a TrueTrac into our diff case...

As Z1 said, this aspect the Quaife being a problem or not depends on what you want and how you drive. For most driving it's a huge improvement over an open diff. If you find this effect bugs you, the only solution is to get a clutch LSD.

It sounds like you've run into a problem with the Quaife, so maybe it's time to look into a clutch LSD. You'll need new axle shafts, though.

Asterix
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:06 PM
rcdash

Well this makes me feel a wee bit better about having to change the darn fluid all the time in my carbonetics clutch diff.
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:50 PM
Firewired

If this ever happens again, try pulling the ebrake just slightly. This should put some load on the tire that is in the air, then the LSD should send power to the other wheel.

Give it a shot a report back, I never tried it to see if it works.
Old 11-14-2008 | 03:41 AM
SweetDreamZ

my initial response to the e-brake solution is....(and this assumes ebrakes pull equally on both tires)....you will actually hurt performance.

if you are clamping on the free spinning tire with xxx lbs of force...the LSD should only be able to transfer half as much drive torque to the stopped wheel as it is driving to the free spinning wheel right? But since you have the ebrake on...as soon as you put enough force to break free the spinning wheel....you still have like twice as much force to break the ebrake force for the wheel on the ground since it is only getting half as much?

Maybe i'm way off...and i know my wording is confusing.
Old 11-14-2008 | 07:11 AM
str8dum1

the real solution is not to offroad your z so its pancaked
Old 11-14-2008 | 10:42 AM
Firewired

I dont think the problem here is putting the power down through turn one at Mosport. :P

If its just for a second to get up a drive way, I dont see how it could cause a problem to drag the brakes for a few seconds.

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
my initial response to the e-brake solution is....(and this assumes ebrakes pull equally on both tires)....you will actually hurt performance.

if you are clamping on the free spinning tire with xxx lbs of force...the LSD should only be able to transfer half as much drive torque to the stopped wheel as it is driving to the free spinning wheel right? But since you have the ebrake on...as soon as you put enough force to break free the spinning wheel....you still have like twice as much force to break the ebrake force for the wheel on the ground since it is only getting half as much?

Maybe i'm way off...and i know my wording is confusing.
Old 11-14-2008 | 11:19 AM
phenix

Looks like you've confused between a limited-slip differential and a torque-biasing differential.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...t_3/index.html

Quick Reply: Quaiffe LSD explain please!!