Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

GTM Valvebody Upgrade Issue?(car towed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:09 PM
A.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GTM Valvebody Upgrade Issue?(car towed)

Well i was driving from San Diego to LA for the weekend and as I was 20 miles away from LA, the car could no longer put power to the wheels. It felt like the clutch was slipping, and i couldn't do anything. At first, it only slipped a little but after 5 more miles of driving(note this is on the 5 freeway during rush hour on a Friday) it was just revving when i was in gear(keep in mind it's a 5AT). So i luckily got off the freeway and with the help of some nice people pushed it into a Carls Jr. parking lot until i waited for the tow. Took 4 guys and about an hour to just get my car on the flatbed because i'ts low and then I had it towed to Precision Z even though they are closed until Monday(it's located right by my house so it didn't cost extra).

My car has about 23k miles on it and the only thing I've modified reguarding the transmission is the valvebody and that's my guess at what my problem is. Now idk what i'm going to do because GTM is 100 miles away, and I still don't know what exactly the problem is. The valvebody was installed at GTM just for reference. I loved every second of the upgrade until this failure. I really hope I can get the car up and running soon. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

-Arsh
Old 10-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Interesting. Sounds almost like you developed a tranny fluid leak sometime or maybe a gasket wasn't fully sealed and the higher pressure of driving for 5 hours broke the gasket. Did you notice any fluids?
Either that or maybe a solenoid went bad?
In for response! GL man!
EDIT:
Specifically I would look at the torque converter solenoid, and the pressure control solenoid. These two are responsible for the clutch/torque converter...
If your pressure control solenoid is weak it could cause your clutches to slip like gnar, then after driving a while the clutches would go completely bad and just slip....
the torque converter solenoid (if it goes bad) would keep the tq conv from sending any power to the rear....
You should def get a tranny cooler any way this goes.
again gl man.

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-24-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 PM
A.H

Yea I checked for leaking fluids and there were none. Such a wierd problem. Never heard of this happening to anyone else so we'll wait and see what the problem really is once i can get precision to take a look at it. I'm hoping for the best right now and i know i need that tranny cooler but i've been really tight on cash lately.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 PM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

same thing happened to mine but the cause was horrific. There was a hole somewhere in my radiator which caused the ATF and Engine Coolant to mix together. The fluid cocktail then made it to the tranny and caused havoc - 1st to 4th the Z was screaming like hell but it was moving inch by inch lol. So yea, check the colors of your fluid - if it turned something like vanilla brown then it's bad news. hopefully not.

After i got everything fixed my gear started to lightly slip when going from 3rd to 4th. . .

fyi my tranny is stock xcept for the oil cooler which i just recently installed

Last edited by 350Zdj; 10-24-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn ..

and I was just about to buy the kit today .. might still do it if I get a pm back from the guy

curious to see what the problem is ..

EDIT - doesn't GTM claim to mess with the solenoids when they install the kit? .. maybe its something they messed with

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 10-25-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
A.H

Here's is a short update because I'm on my phone.

Transmission=toast/fried/shot/dead at 23k miles on a 07....
Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^Damn dude sorry to hear.

Let us know what happened when you can.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Sergio07350Z

Noooo!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:23 PM
ford_jj

Default Good luck

Originally Posted by A.H

Have you been resolved your problem?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
ford_jj

Default Good luck

Originally Posted by A.H

Have you been resolved your problem?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Adrians07Z

WARRANTY !!!

could atleast try it since the valvebody is just a set of springs inside it .. dont think the dealer would dig that far and they would just replace the tranny

then all you loose is the valvebody upgrade which should be alot less than the price of a new tranny
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Low fluid and heat kills the 5AT - that is all. Did you check ATF level after you got the car back from the upgrade? The dipstick will be dry being just 2 qts low, and that will kill the trans. Been there. Done that.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Adrians07Z

any updates

I'm about to install the transgo kit .. looking for fluid right now that is readily available (not dealer), but keep finding that you "have" to run J Matic from nissan or it could kill the tranny and it voids warranty

any idea what brand / kind of ATF that GTM used after the install?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its now called s matic and def stay with whats recommended.I know its expensive fluid but i wouldnt chance it by using something else.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Adrians07Z

yea .. I've been searching around

orielly auto parts don't recommend anything but OEM / Nissan

and everyone online says use s matic (j matic) from nissan .. theres the occasional "I use royal purple, amsoil, or castrol" ... but then found somewhere that said the castrol "j matic compatible" fluid overheats in the 350z ..

so a trip the dealer it is for me (royal purple was going to be my choice, but mixing it with oem and $12 / quart .. might as well go oem)
Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM
A.H

Ok guys, here is an update, sorry i haven't been on lately.

I tried to get it the warranty on it honored and i had the car towed to Valencia Nissan. They said over the phone they would do it and i told them all of my mods, but when i took it there they said they wouldn't touch it because "i had headers". Yea......wtf headers has to do with the transmission idk but i had it towed back to Precision and now Performance Nissan said they will take care of it 100% so i'm hopeful that they will come through for me. It's getting towed there today so i will update on how that goes. Now, we still don't know the exact reasoning of the transmission giving out. It might be due to the reason RCDASH suggested but we still don't know. I didn't think I would hve to check levels becasue GTM was doing the labor and they have probably the best rep out there. Now if I can get tranny replaced GTM said they would put in a new Valvebody for free but I don't even know if i want them to do that. I do not want any other problems with my car and just want to finally enjoy it without it being in a shop 2 weeks out of every month. I'm just scared if it was the valvebody that caused it and if it'll happen again wiht this new tranny 20k+ miles down the line, because I know for a fact I won't be able to get it warrantied a second time.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Adrians07Z

I don't know about the shift kit doing it .. how many cars on here have the kit, and how many have failed with the kit

I'd bet it has to do with the fluid level / and or heat .. maybe GTM topped it off .. looked good

then 200 miles down the road all the air worked out of the valve body and you ended up low

also why did GTM say they would put it in for free b/c your tranny failed .. do they know something was up with their install, or just helping you out

that reminds me .. I need to check my tranny fluid level .. its been a few hundred miles since I put the shift kit in

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 11-03-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
fabre80

Am pretty sure it was the tranny fluid, I had some issues at first but it was because i did not have the right amount inside. I had to put like 5 1/2 quarts of the S matic fluid on my car after the VBU was done and now i had no issues since.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:13 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i originally did mine i had the fluid read right in the middle of the dip stick .....well a couple days later it started to slip and i had to add 1 and 1/2 more quarts to it.The trans has been fine since and this was over 1@1/2 YEARS AGO.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Adrians07Z

ok this is what I was thinking about before I installed mine ..

5 or so quarts .. your about 2.x too short

I measured every drop that drained out during the install .. came to about 7 quarts .. I added just over 7 quarts .. so I should be good

would make sense if you dont measure .. add till it reads .. then all the air works out of the vb over the next couple days and end up adding 1.5 quarts

Quick Reply: GTM Valvebody Upgrade Issue?(car towed)