Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 AM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder

I picked up a new product last week and thought I would share my experience. ZSpeed Performance offers a clutch master cylinder for the 350z DE and HR engines. I have a 2005 350Z DE.
I installed the master cylinder kit because I was having issues of the clutch pedal dropping, the clutch was still releasing fine, but it was annoying. I also felt it was on it's last legs at 45,000 miles. Joe at ZSP adapted a Wilwood cylinder to fit the car and also made a one piece stainless line to remove the rats nest of hard line and restrictor that was under the drivers side fender. The restrictor slows the fluid coming back to the clutch master cylinder, smoothing the engagement of the stock clutch. In my opinion, taking away the 'feel' of the clutch through the pedal. It didn't increase the pedal effort, just more precise and direct. I feel as though I have more control over the engagement and can modulate it better for a smoother take-off in first and reverse. IMO, a must buy for the 350z. I'm running a South Bend Clutch/DXD Racing clutches SS TZ-R. It's a heavy pressure plate with a light weight rigid Kevlar disc. It's fairly grabby and has a sharp engagement. With the ZSP master cylinder, I was amazed at how much smoother it is.

First set of pics are of the stock unit and how it's connected inside the fender and to the inside of the frame rail.
Attached Thumbnails ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-old-master-installed.jpg   ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-old-line-fender.jpg   ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-old-line-connection.jpg   ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-stock-hardline.jpg   ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-both-cmcs.jpg  

Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 AM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

New clutch master cylinder and how I connected it. I did not try to re-use the stock mounting bracket inside the fender well to leave as much weight off as possible. The OE reservoir mounts back in the stock location with 3.5 inches trimmed off the bottom of the reservoir hose. I also upgraded my fluid to Motul. All in all, I would say it was an easy install. Couple hours, taking my time. I didn't even have to remove the drivers side wheel from the car to access the inner fender! Of course the master cylinder rod will need to be adjusted once installed.
Attached Thumbnails ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-new-master.jpg   ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-installed.jpg   ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-new-line-connection.jpg   ZSpeed Performance clutch master cylinder-new-line-fender.jpg  

Last edited by DaveSB; 07-18-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Any pics of the new master cylinder installed?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...-cylinder.html

For a half assed DIY. I used SS insulated clamps for holding the line.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this for my HR im in the middle of installing it actually. Mine has its own reservoir though and deletes the remote one (OEM). Im utilizing my stock hard line as well...didnt see a need to run a different line??

I need to get this thing on tonight and report back! lol been so busy lately lots of stuff has come up this month ughh
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkster
I have this for my HR im in the middle of installing it actually. Mine has its own reservoir though and deletes the remote one (OEM). Im utilizing my stock hard line as well...didnt see a need to run a different line??

I need to get this thing on tonight and report back! lol been so busy lately lots of stuff has come up this month ughh
You are reusing the stock hardline from the master cylinder down?

If you keep the orfice block behind the fender liner your removing 50% of the advantage from the setup. That orifice block is the reason its a nightmare to bleed.

Last edited by ian99rt; 07-18-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice find
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm well ill see how it feels after i reuse it. If not ill see if i cant pick up the SS line from him