Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

15 .5 miles per gallon anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:50 PM
shimz350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 .5 miles per gallon anyone?

my little digital box tells me I'm getting 15.5 miles per gallon...sigh.

-I'm all stock...I feel my z(13,000 miles) has seriously gotten quicker but i'll have to wait to dyno it.

-I do drive aggresively as far as acceleration is concerned.

So is this reasonable number?

I haven't bothered to calculate it by mileage/gallon...I may just do that just to see if my mileage thingamajic is accurate.

so for those aggressive drivers how many mpg are you pushing?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 PM
kopo

whats going on shimz, im in the same area as you, and i do tend to push the car, im getting around 17.8-18 mpgs in this weather. i do take the expressway to school and that takes my mpgs up to 18. without that i stay around 17.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:21 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

that sounds about right.
wanna save some gas? drive it like you are breaking it in, don't step on the gas all the way when accelerating, even if you are shifting early (3k-4k rpm)
Old 02-16-2004, 04:31 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, my computer tells me I'm seeing about 1.3 (usually around 5.x mpg) miles per gallon right now. Ever since I replaced my cats with straight pipes, I saw a HUGE dip in mpg. The car is running really rich and the brown exhaust tips are only one of the signs. Anyhow, I drive it like I stole it. I could possibly need to reset the ECU as well, but it's not a really big deal to me at the moment. But I'd say 15.5 is definately not bad MPG, it could be worse
Old 02-16-2004, 05:20 AM
mpol99

I do mostly city driving around Chicago & ~15-16 sounds right to me. I drive aggressively (duh) for the most part.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:25 AM
PainProphet

Originally posted by mpol99
I do mostly city driving around Chicago & ~15-16 sounds right to me. I drive aggressively (duh) for the most part.
oh god that is scary, what did nissan say it gets, I thought it was like 24 on the highway? What did they not take it over 2grand or something?!??!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Dershum

Originally posted by PainProphet
oh god that is scary, what did nissan say it gets, I thought it was like 24 on the highway? What did they not take it over 2grand or something?!??!
I get about that on highway-only trips.

As for normal work-to-home-to-work trips, I get about 19, which is up about 2 mpg from before I put on the grounding kit. If you're looking to improve your MPG, definintely pick that mod up, and it's easy as hell to install.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:45 AM
ericinmiami

This shows the versitility of the VQ35 motor:

On a trip from Miami to DC on pure highway driving i got close to 30mpg....

but my average mpg in miami which is about 40/60 "highway/street" driving is around 12mpg...

Thats a pretty big difference, however the way i drive my her is the main reason for it.

If you drive granny style and the ecu is used to it (ie. reset/re-learned), you can pull a lot of mpg above where you normally are!

Peace
-Eric
Old 02-16-2004, 07:14 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Might be possible that under the same driving conditions and style, the AT and the MT yield slightly different MPG ratings.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:20 AM
2k3silver350z

as of late i've been right at 20mpg and i beat the living **** out of my car. average speed on highways is around 90+ and i do plenty of city driving (stop and go).

nismo cams, borla true dual, nismo intake and the grounding kit are my only performance mods.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:43 AM
scubasteve

Originally posted by Juztin
Ever since I replaced my cats with straight pipes, I saw a HUGE dip in mpg............But I'd say 15.5 is definately not bad MPG, it could be worse
That's interesting because after I installed the high flow cats and NISMO exhaust and CAI, my mileage actualle went up. I don't think I'm the only one with gains in mileage after this combination of airflow systems. You know how stats work.....you two could just be the "outliers" outside of the bell shaped curve. There always has to be a few. However, if your mileage is statistically outside of the pridicted range established by Nissan, then you might have a case to bring to your dealer, given that you are 100% stock. They might try to give you the bit about driving a sportscar and that you are hard on the pedal, but remember that you may be statistically out of range of the limits set forth by Nissan. If it were me, I would check it out with the dealer. Good luck and remember that statistics and numbers don't lie.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:49 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Juztin
The car is running really rich and the brown exhaust tips are only one of the signs.
the brown has nothing to do with a rich condition, but they fact that you don't have a Cat that is filtering (or catalizing) all that crap, from what I understand
Old 02-16-2004, 09:07 PM
scubasteve

Actually, I believe that the dark exhaust tips is a very good rough indicator of the rich/lean condition of your car. I think that the cats perform their function on gasses and not liquid particulates in the exhaust that pass through them. Don't think of the cats as filters, but air cleners. The tips become dark due to the large amounts of unburned fuel which collect.

"A catalytic converter is a device that uses a catalyst to convert three harmful compounds in car exhaust into harmless compounds.

The three harmful compounds are:

Hydrocarbons (in the form of unburned gasoline)
Carbon monoxide (formed by the combustion of gasoline)
Nitrogen oxides (created when the heat in the engine forces nitrogen in the air to combine with oxygen)."
Old 02-16-2004, 10:48 PM
chaparro78

Originally posted by scubasteve
Actually, I believe that the dark exhaust tips is a very good rough indicator of the rich/lean condition of your car. I think that the cats perform their function on gasses and not liquid particulates in the exhaust that pass through them. Don't think of the cats as filters, but air cleners. The tips become dark due to the large amounts of unburned fuel which collect.

"A catalytic converter is a device that uses a catalyst to convert three harmful compounds in car exhaust into harmless compounds.

The three harmful compounds are:

Hydrocarbons (in the form of unburned gasoline)
Carbon monoxide (formed by the combustion of gasoline)
Nitrogen oxides (created when the heat in the engine forces nitrogen in the air to combine with oxygen)."
That I did not kow.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by PainProphet
Remember that mileage estimates are not made by Nissan, they are made by the EPA (Environment Protection Agency) which are usually on the high side as they don't accurately reflect how people really drive.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:11 AM
shimz350z

i have dark exhaust tips...but i think it's because I don't clean them so well

how many gallons does the Z hold? I'm gonna try to keep track of my mpg.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:02 AM
Jetpilot718

My least trip, highway, I saw 29.1 momentarily, then it settles at 25-ish. I dont even bother lookin at the city MPG, dont wanna cry lol
Old 02-17-2004, 03:23 AM
PainProphet

Originally posted by shimZ
i have dark exhaust tips...but i think it's because I don't clean them so well

how many gallons does the Z hold? I'm gonna try to keep track of my mpg.
It has a 20 gallon gas tank.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:13 AM
Iezzi

Check your MAS sensor it might need to be cleaned or it could be loose
Old 02-17-2004, 04:31 AM
ezee

Are you talking about the MAF sensor? If not, what is the MAS sensor and where is it?

Quick Reply: 15 .5 miles per gallon anyone?