Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Some new P0340 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 12:34 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Some new P0340 Questions

Long story short: driving into work and my car's engine shut down and died [114k mileage]. Got it home later and hooked it up to my OBD2 and got the dreaded "P0340 Bank 1 of 2".
Bought a cheap replacement sensor from Autozone, went through all the BS [dropping the 10mm hex bolt and losing it in the engine bay, etc...] getting it back in and of course it didn't work. Bought the Hitachi silver one, cleared the codes and it worked...for a few hours and then the 'Slip/VDC/SES' came right back.

I can clear out the P0340 and my car runs normal, until I get back home and it shows up all over again. So here are my questions:

1. When the scanner says 'Bank 1 of 2' is this automatically telling you that both sensors need to be replaced or 'just' the one closest to the battery? [BTW, I've already ordered OEM replacements for Bank 2 and the crankshaft. Just been too cold to f*ck with the car outside]

2. What's the difference between unplugging the neg battery terminal for a few hours and this 'pedal dance' maneuver. BTW, tried both and neither worked. I'm guessing my timing was off for the pedal dance and unplugging the battery and pumping the brake is just some old wives tale? Also tried that putting the key in, pulling it out thing ever 10 seconds and that didn't work either.

3. If you do unplug the neg batt terminal, how long exactly is necessary for the memory to clear the bad codes? I've seen some guys do it for a few hours, some overnight, etc... but no real established length of time.

4. If it warms up this weekend, I may try the pedal thing again. But before I get it towed to a mechanic [next step] what are some things you guys have done that definitely fixed this issue? And for anyone that's experienced it before did it ever return after the new sensors were installed?

thanks!

BTW, I did search for answers and I'm continuing to search various Z forums and YT for solutions. Just looking for legit feedback from any old Z owners to fix this crap.