Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anybody want to shed light on my modding dilemmas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 02:32 AM
luv350sass

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the new z! It seems to be in perfect condition. I looked it over well, and nothing seemed wrong with it. On the drive home, i was going 80mph, and the steering wheel was vibrating some like a bad alignment. I went 95 and 80 again throughout the trip. It didnt always do it at a certain speed, it may be the roadways too. I noticed the front feels a little bouncy and funny over bumps. its like mine but not as bad lol. The tires are newer, horrible off brand tires. The shifter vibrates some. It does seem to have alot of original parts, being 56000 miles. I scared the seller turning tcs off on test drive, with those crappy tires im not used to lol. The throttle is much more responsive, and the oem clutch is so different. I drove it kind of rough. Then, i hopped in mine after driving it home, and i killed mine trying to go in 1st. Its going to be tricky switching between the two.

i reset my service engine light on mine, and put the correct evap valve solenoid back.

Last edited by luv350sass; 04-21-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,260 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by luv350sass
On the drive home, i was going 80mph, and the steering wheel was vibrating some like a bad alignment. I went 95 and 80 again throughout the trip. It didnt always do it at a certain speed, it may be the roadways too. I noticed the front feels a little bouncy and funny over bumps. its like mine but not as bad lol. .
Congrats on the newer Z. So does this mean the start of another 49 pages of troubleshooting-sought commentary?

And no, your news did not "blow anyone's mind". I would suspect that the presence of any amount of "blownmind" comes from either/both 4/20 Day and/or head shaking about this new debt magnet.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-21-2024 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:09 AM
luv350sass

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Congrats on the newer Z. So does this mean the start of another 49 pages of troubleshooting-sought commentary?
lol ill try to not do that. Im actually thinking if i mess w suspension, ill go back and look at that eibach, and other reccomendation. (in the beginning of thread). I dont want to deviate from oem much, or get adjustable arms on this one. I liked the way my vibratechnics "road and track" motor mounts felt. I may get those again. In general, its all oem for this one.

ive got a whole laundry list of stuff i want for mine, ill update as it very slowly progresses.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:21 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,260 Likes on 2,318 Posts

lol ill try to not do that. Im actually thinking if i mess w suspension, ill go back and look at that eibach, and other reccomendation. (in the beginning of thread). I dont want to deviate from oem much, or get adjustable arms on this one. I liked the way my vibratechnics "road and track" motor mounts felt. I may get those again. In general, its all oem for this one.

ive got a whole laundry list of stuff i want for mine, ill update as it very slowly progresses.
Well, you have that set of B8s (or B6/B12, whatever you had), you could just swap over to use with the stock ZR springs if you're going to change out Z #1's struts to COs.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:21 AM
luv350sass

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Well, you have that set of B8s (or B6/B12, whatever you had), you could just swap over to use with the stock ZR springs if you're going to change out Z #1's struts to COs.
well, im still over here overthinking, and wanting to stay divorced rear. (until solid subframe bushings). So i was going to get the spl midlink, and some different divorced setup, with 2.5 in springs that fit the midlink. I may contact spl for help choosing. That would free up my b12 kit, but im scared to use it. Z#1 is having front suspension issues, and the small braking problems feel associated. The new shop diagnosed it as top hats, but i think it may be multiple things still.. I was ripping a corner and tried braking into it, and the pedal was pulsing. This would be okay, except i experienced poor braking, and it was big pulses down to the floor. It didnt really feel like ABS. It felt like the whole brake pedal assembly was moving. When i slam them hard it makes a noise, that sounds like my front shock, or maybe a caliper binding. and it still just handles bumps real awkwardly in the front. The front left spring or shock, makes noises.

plus, from what i understand, at top adjustment, b12 kit still too low. I want to be able to enter driveways and stuff easier, and not buy adjustable arms to get new z aligned.

Last edited by luv350sass; 04-21-2024 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:28 AM
luv350sass

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die

Just to clarify, I did not say put OEM suspension parts on. I said to install some new shocks/struts and some springs close to the OEM spring rate. Something like the Eibach Pro-Kit, Whiteline, H&R, or Hotchkis springs (to name a few) paired up with some Bilstein B8 or Koni shocks/struts.
this is the old quote i was thinking of. I guess i have to make sure the springs are not too low. Tein H-tech look good, paired with the b6 shocks

Last edited by luv350sass; 04-21-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:35 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,066 Likes on 754 Posts

this is the old quote i was thinking of. I guess i have to make sure the springs are not too low. Tein H-tech look good, paired with the b6 shocks
I've got that exact Tein H-tech spring and Bilstein strut combo on my '06 G35 coupe. It was my DD for a while. I like it. It's not a terribly aggressive setup and still performs well without knocking your teeth loose. I did replace all the bushings to poly and got some adjustable FUCAs to get the alignment into spec.
The following users liked this post:
luv350sass (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 06:42 PM
luv350sass

I've got that exact Tein H-tech spring and Bilstein strut combo on my '06 G35 coupe. It was my DD for a while. I like it. It's not a terribly aggressive setup and still performs well without knocking your teeth loose. I did replace all the bushings to poly and got some adjustable FUCAs to get the alignment into spec.
awesome! i didnt think i needed fuca's, since z1 claims it only drops about 1/4 inch. I guess i do though. I was worried which to choose, b6 said factory height; b8 lowered. So im glad you chimed in. Hopefully i can spend alot less on this ones setup, and still enjoy it as a spirited daily driver.

Last edited by luv350sass; 04-22-2024 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:51 AM
Heel Til I Die

Technically, the B6 should be used when you're staying at stock height and the B8 whenever you go lower. The H-tech do lower it, but it is a very modest drop - maybe half an inch, if that. The B8 is probably recommended for that application, but the B6 struts have been fine. At the time of my install, there seemed to be a worldwide Bilstein shortage and the B6s were the only ones I could source quickly.

You might be ok without adjustable FUCAs. I did the springs, struts, and bushings all at the same time. I was rolling on some older tires and didn't care if they wore out, so I didn't bother to get an alignment until I had basically shredded the inside rubber (likely due to incorrect toe and/or camber) and got some new tires. The G35 is a slightly different animal than the Z and the ZR is also different than the Z coupe with regard to handling characteristics, but you should be fine with that setup.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:12 AM
luv350sass

Technically, the B6 should be used when you're staying at stock height and the B8 whenever you go lower. The H-tech do lower it, but it is a very modest drop - maybe half an inch, if that. The B8 is probably recommended for that application, but the B6 struts have been fine. At the time of my install, there seemed to be a worldwide Bilstein shortage and the B6s were the only ones I could source quickly.

You might be ok without adjustable FUCAs. I did the springs, struts, and bushings all at the same time. I was rolling on some older tires and didn't care if they wore out, so I didn't bother to get an alignment until I had basically shredded the inside rubber (likely due to incorrect toe and/or camber) and got some new tires. The G35 is a slightly different animal than the Z and the ZR is also different than the Z coupe with regard to handling characteristics, but you should be fine with that setup.
Awesome. I tried to order the tein h-techs from z1. It was on backorder. They said the convertible ones (had coupe and conv option), is not made anymore. The rep i spoke with on the phone, said the coupe is prob just diff spring rates. He still recommended against it, on the convertible. Im also learning these h-techs will give the convertible a .5 in drop, instead of the .2x drop. I hate the stock springs kind of because body roll. Yet, to save money and troubles, ill prob get the b6 kit only. Ill keep the stock springs.

Sorry Mic, ill try to stop talking about this new z 😂
Old 04-29-2024, 12:50 PM
Heel Til I Die

The ZR is heavier than the coupe (318 lbs. to be precise), but I don't think the spring rates for the coils are different. I guess that extra weight would give a slightly lower drop. I have Hotchkis springs (now discontinued) on my ZR. I don't recall there being any fitment issues between the coupe and ZR.
The following users liked this post:
luv350sass (04-29-2024)