Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Update: Engine Oil Cooler Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:39 AM
azrael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Engine Oil Cooler Kit

People have been asking on the previous thread ( https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=67892 ) for pictures of the oil cooler kit that we have been working on.

Recently we removed the front bumper from our project Z and test fit the Setrab oil cooler. I have posted pictures of the test fitment on our website:

http://www.vulcanmotorsports.com/oilcooler.html

We intend to offer two sizes of coolers for the Z -- standard, and large. The standard size cooler is the one shown in the photos. We have selected the larger cooler size and expect it to arrive any day for final fitment. Once we have checked fitment on both sizes, we will post pictures of the completed kit, along with a full installation guide and photos, and then release the kit for sale.

Matt
Old 05-20-2004, 10:38 AM
arizzee

Thanks, Matt, keep us posted.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:51 AM
DrCold

Would something like this have any effect on the radiator? Seems like now you would have warmer air and your cooling system performance could be effected.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:42 PM
azrael

Originally posted by DrCold
Would something like this have any effect on the radiator? Seems like now you would have warmer air and your cooling system performance could be effected.
Good question.

Believe me, this has been a huge concern on my part. I'm primarily designing this system to help cool the engine during extended high-rpm operation on a road course during a hot summer day.. the most harsh environment possible. Cooling is a huge factor in a situation like this.

For an N/A car, I don't believe this cooler will have a very adverse affect on coolant temperature. An N/A setup doesn't have the heat of the turbos and doesn't have an intercooler to further block airflow. The cooler only blocks a small percentage of the radiator, and the radiator will still get airflow, just at a slightly elevated temperature in that area.

For TT cars, the radiator may suffer somewhat. I've struggled with this issue quite a bit. I believe that TT cars driven normally on the street, in an auto-x, or on the drag strip will not build up enough heat for this to become an issue. Furthermore, I've mounted the cooler high up on the radiator, minimizing the coverage of the radiator in the high airflow portion directly in front of the bumper opening.

For TT cars that are road raced, a radiator upgrade might be a good idea. None of the GReddy TT owners have spent enough time on a road course yet to record and report good data on oil and coolant temps. Eventually our Vulcan Motorsports Project Z will have a GReddy TT installed and we will log temperatures at the road course. Until then, I'm looking to hear information from those out there that road race their TT Z's.

If a TT owner would like to work with me to design a cooling solution better suited to road racing, I would be very interested, and would likely be able to discount the oil cooler hardware, depending on the situation.

Hopefully this answers your question satisfactorily.

Matt
Old 05-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Sponge

Do you have any test data indicating how well this cooler works? How many degrees cooler (C or F) does the standard oil cooler drop the oil temp by?

I might be interested in this item but would like to see some numbers (efficiency, change in oil temps, etc.)

Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 02:02 PM
azrael

Originally posted by Sponge
Do you have any test data indicating how well this cooler works? How many degrees cooler (C or F) does the standard oil cooler drop the oil temp by?

I might be interested in this item but would like to see some numbers (efficiency, change in oil temps, etc.)

Thanks
Up to this point, we've been busy selecting components, sizing the cooler, and doing test fitments. When we have a cooler running on the car (which should be within a week or two), we will take temperature and pressure measurements with and without the cooler installed.

I'd like to show data that demonstrates the effects on warm-up time, and cooling performance during normal driving, hard driving, and road racing.

Matt
Old 05-20-2004, 02:16 PM
DrCold

Well, in any case, I think after I go twin turbo I'll be looking into an oil cooler. With those turbos heating up the oil that runs thru them a cooler could do nothing but good for it. Good job and thanks for the updates.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:43 AM
azrael

Originally posted by DrCold
Well, in any case, I think after I go twin turbo I'll be looking into an oil cooler. With those turbos heating up the oil that runs thru them a cooler could do nothing but good for it. Good job and thanks for the updates.
That's precisely why I designed the kit. The turbos will heat that oil as it passes through, and I don't want to pass that heat on to the engine. It's a good idea for the street, and an even better idea for a car that is driven hard or raced.

Matt