Notices

DIY - Solid diff bushing install - No subframe drop method, no c clamp either!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by keichi59
I just did this install this weekend along with some solid subframe bushings and OS giken LSD. I was curious how many of you have ridiculously loud whine coming from the diff on throttle. The whine varies pitch with throttle application. I can also noticeably hear every gear shift as if I had a stethoscope to the tranny.

There's also some clunking from the diff itself even though I've hear the OSG is supposed to be pretty quiet. Any ideas?
All normal....

You have no business doing all this unless its a track car or your willing ot deal with it........performance comes with a payoff.......what your hearing is the sound of performance...

enjoy...
-J
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
keichi59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
All normal....

You have no business doing all this unless its a track car or your willing ot deal with it........performance comes with a payoff.......what your hearing is the sound of performance...

enjoy...
-J
sure I expected increased NVH but this is much more than what I've heard from others on here. I'm thinking that it may be due to improper backlash or a bad pinion bearing. I just wanted to get some input from others. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by keichi59
sure I expected increased NVH but this is much more than what I've heard from others on here. I'm thinking that it may be due to improper backlash or a bad pinion bearing. I just wanted to get some input from others. Thanks!
Its hard to say, since the OSG diff is supposed to be very quiet however the solid diff bushings ARE NOT or rather they will make everything your diff is doing audible. I saw a huge increase in NVH just from solid diff bushings on the stock VLSD. Much more whine from the diff, audible shift changes, etc. That being said I'm much more **** about all the little noises in my car so to me it was a large difference, to others not so much. I can only imagine the solid subframe bushings will make an even greater difference regardless if your running the stock diff or the giken. My only suggestion and this is if your running solid diff bushings as well is to removed the diff bolts one at a time and slide in those flat rubber pads (about 3mm thick) that used to sit above the stock diff bushings. Slide them in between the diff bushings and the sub frame, it might help a little bit and you don't have to drop the diff to do it...just loosen the bolts and install one at a time.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All normal....

enjoy...
-J
Music to my ears!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 PM
talon49

Thumbs up

Great write up. I ordered this Polyurethane rear Diff bushing from an independent seller in the states. I haven't installed it due to the fact that im in the process of building up an open diff, Quaife lsd and all. So once I get the Differential all complete I'll be installing it and removing the rear bushing. I'll be sure to post up my notes once finished. Here is the video he has posted on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqBWC-ZwpyA
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ So pretty much my $10 locally fabricated "Big Frank socket" packaged up for $199

-neat! lol....

the die, receiver trick works guys like mentioned in the first post of this thread, but the post 12 method I do makes the job ridiculously quick........done quite a few that way already...

-J
Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I need to do this install... anyone know the best place to buy theses bushings... ive been driving with a blown bushing and i think its damaged my cv axle.... it has some play in it now (in and out with respect to the dif and wheels)..... all the sites i looked at have the blue bushing, is it just that they didnt update their picture??
Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
tranceformer95

I got mine straight from SPLparts.com
Old 12-07-2011, 06:53 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^ So pretty much my $10 locally fabricated "Big Frank socket" packaged up for $199

-neat! lol....

the die, receiver trick works guys like mentioned in the first post of this thread, but the post 12 method I do makes the job ridiculously quick........done quite a few that way already...

-J
Definitely cutting the bushing race is the better way to go. I actually do not cut all the way thru, just enough that when i push it up with a screw driver and hammer the material tears and then peels back like a banana.

Literally took me 4 minutes to get it out.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Dblock55

Jesus Mary Magdalin..... just did this install lol took forever!! started out good, everything came off easy, didnt need to use WD40 on cv's, driveshaft, sway bar, dif etc.... but then came the goddamn bushing lol.. my saw saw did a quarter cut and died!!!! d'oh... so i decided to do the other method, pulling it out using a hollow tube, that didnt work at all lol... ended up cutting through it with a hack saw blade... after that went smoothly.... havent driven it yet though..
Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Dblock55

Also i did this whole install without removing any exhaust components or the pin stay.... theres no need for it, just gotta b careful when dropping the diff to not crush anyting...
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Did u not have the harbor freight drill bit I posted? Those things are nice!....

Glad ya got it done...sux your zaw zaw died...

-J
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Dblock55

I had similar drill bits, drilled the hell outta it but didnt want to come out lol... the race was fairly easy.... my caught was smoking like crazy today, does anyone know if the silicone and the rubber from the bushing is flamable?? I think i forgot to clean if off of the exhaust can thing...... gotta go under there tomrow and check it out
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Dblock55
I had similar drill bits, drilled the hell outta it but didnt want to come out lol... the race was fairly easy.... my caught was smoking like crazy today, does anyone know if the silicone and the rubber from the bushing is flamable?? I think i forgot to clean if off of the exhaust can thing...... gotta go under there tomrow and check it out
hence the "remove the exhaust" to do the install step..

hot drilled/saw saw'd rubber will fling onto the exhaust and stick there..burn and smell on your next trips..

-J
Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did i miss what and where to get the new bushing?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting this kind of info up for all of us to use.
I'm about to instal my solid bushing into the subframe with some PB blaster.

Except I have my bushing sitting out in the backyard, -7 C ( 19F)
And I have a space heater pointed at the subframe to bring it up from the garage temp of
4 C (40 F) haha. Gotta get that temperature difference as big as possible.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I just learned the hard way that the freezer is colder...
Had to bail out 1/4 way into it.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Route i went was making ghetto liquid nitrogen, since real liquid nitrogen is difficult and dangerous to handle.

Basically its a plastic pale with denatured alcohol in it and finely chunked up dry ice. Slowly adding the dry ice to the alcohol until it stops rapidly melting/evaporating. At that point the alcohol is the same temperature of the dry ice (-70 degrees F).

I thought it best to have the bushing in the freezer a few days beforehand anyways to reduce the thermal shock. Slowly lowering the bushing into the super cold alcohol and allowed it to chill for about 5 minutes.

I then removed it with a pair of channel locks, with it still dripping in the alcohol and simply slid it into the subframe. No hammering or pushing necessary, just put it into the hole and made sure it was sitting flush while warming back up.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, what bushing? where from? does it increase NVH?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 AM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by ian99rt
Route i went was making ghetto liquid nitrogen, since real liquid nitrogen is difficult and dangerous to handle.

Basically its a plastic pale with denatured alcohol in it and finely chunked up dry ice. Slowly adding the dry ice to the alcohol until it stops rapidly melting/evaporating. At that point the alcohol is the same temperature of the dry ice (-70 degrees F).

I thought it best to have the bushing in the freezer a few days beforehand anyways to reduce the thermal shock. Slowly lowering the bushing into the super cold alcohol and allowed it to chill for about 5 minutes.

I then removed it with a pair of channel locks, with it still dripping in the alcohol and simply slid it into the subframe. No hammering or pushing necessary, just put it into the hole and made sure it was sitting flush while warming back up.
I like your style.

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
So, what bushing? where from? does it increase NVH?
The rear mount of the differential housing that bolts on to the rear subframe.

and yes it increases NVH, especially if you have a set of gears that whine.

Quick Reply: DIY - Solid diff bushing install - No subframe drop method, no c clamp either!