Notices

DIY - Solid diff bushing install - No subframe drop method, no c clamp either!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ wait, which poly bushing did that? what brand was it...

-J
Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah.... 'popped out' is kind of a weird thing to happen.... It's bolted in...
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Yeah.... 'popped out' is kind of a weird thing to happen.... It's bolted in...
The ES rear bushing is not 'bolted in' by any means. It re-uses the inner sleeve of the stock bushing (the cylindrical part the nut holds onto). The bushing is straight thru held in place by friction between the re-used inner sleeve and subframe. Compounding the issue the kit doesn't come with a lock washer so hard launches eventually loosen the rear nut, after which the play will force the bushing out the rear with hard launching (I average 1.6 60ft). I was lucky the only damage was a thrashed diff stud which I replaced. I haven't had time to call ES and ***** about it but I might. The solid mounts are holding up well so far and I'm just happy it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Last edited by djamps; 07-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Eek, yeah glad it *is* ok!

OK, well FYI, the Whiteline fits and bolts in just like the OEM, i'd no idea the ES one was so different, glad i made the right choice.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
djamps

Eek, yeah glad it *is* ok!

OK, well FYI, the Whiteline fits and bolts in just like the OEM, i'd no idea the ES one was so different, glad i made the right choice.
Does the Whiteline have a metal sleeve already in it (permanent) or does it reuse the oem and just slide over it? The problem is that the inner sleeve is not permanent like OEM, which allows the bushing to move.

The main thing to look out for is the rear nut loosening. If it weren't for that, it might still be in one piece. Once it gets loose from hard launches and lack of a lock washer, the play will eventually force the bushing out the rear.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by djamps
Does the Whiteline have a metal sleeve already in it (permanent) or does it reuse the oem and just slide over it? The problem is that the inner sleeve is not permanent like OEM, which allows the bushing to move.
YES, the whiteline does have a permanent sleeve like oem.

Originally Posted by djamps
The main thing to look out for is the rear nut loosening. If it weren't for that, it might still be in one piece. Once it gets loose from hard launches and lack of a lock washer, the play will eventually force the bushing out the rear.
A lock washer is definitely a good idea..not sure if the whiteline kit comes with one, it appears as it simply reuses the oem nut.

The following i have taken from another thread and the suspension 101 thread:
The stock bushing fails and it's not replaceable. The only way to get it is attached to a complete rear sub-frame.

So everyone goes after-market. I went with Whiteline as they're going to be closest to stock.

The whiteline KDT911 kit is a great option for those that don't want solid...

hands down, i would choose solid (I only track my car), but for those that are just daily driven cars and want zero noise i would choose whitelines kit.
the engineering/design behind the rear diff bushing p/n 67419 from kit KDT911 that goes into the subframe is great.
Whiteline really put thought into it.

I had mentioned it before and poly in the rear diff isnt a good idea unless its large sleeved like the oem bushing. The whiteline large sleeve helps avoid the permanent deformation that can result from "creep" and having a tear drop shape in the poly. the large sleeve paired with hard poly avoids this. The multiple holes drilled into the bushing and the curved shaped aids in torsional bending. its a great design compared to energy suspensions hands down. A side note, the install of it will be much easier then due to the curved shape...

-J
Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
sanbaifo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Are the Whiteline bushings installed upside down in those pictures? IIRC, the factory bushing is thicker on top and lower on the bottom.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Nope, that's correct and the stock bushings are that way round too.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replaced rear bushing with Whiteline stuff today. I used a rattle gun to push them out. Should have use a press to make it quicker. The OEM bushing on the sub frame was a pain in the *** tho.

Attachment 467339

Attachment 467340
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

I hate to say it, but your ears are upside-down and the insert for the resr stock bushing is still in the sub-frame
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM
*ICE*

I hate to say it, but your ears are upside-down and the insert for the resr stock bushing is still in the sub-frame
does it matter if the ears are upside down or not? Both side are upside down so its even out. I dont think it really matters right? It just move the diff further down from the body of the car, by a few millimeters. I drove it hard afterward, didn't feel or heard anything that were out of place.

For the bushing in my subframe, yes, all the OEM **** had been removed. Included the b!tchy steel sleeve. Everything are out or else the Whiteline bushing won't fit into the subframe. It look like i still have the insert in the pic because i use a rattle gun and it scratches up the metal parts, so in the pic, it look like I still have something in it but in fact I dont.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to assume the "rattle gun" is an air hammer.

Looks like it mangled the rear bushing bore of the subframe.

You'll probably be okay since your using a urethane bushing, if it were a solid aluminum you'd have to replace your subframe.

The press fit of a solid bushing will easily crack the aluminum subframe if there's a stress riser in that area (AKA deep gouge from air hammer).

You need to fix the front ears as well as it may damage the rear bushing from being constantly nosed down. Thats why all the rubber front compression arm bushings got to hell with a lowered car.

Do yourself a favor and do it right....
Old 07-15-2012, 02:33 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

The instructions for the bushings are, well, yes, terrible, no two ways about it, but, you can garner some info from them.

The right way up, as Ian stated, i would imagine does matter, they wouldn't bother with the different sizes if it didn't.

I guess if you did damage the frame with the air hammer then that's what i'm seeing, your mention of the steel sleeve in the frame lets me know you found that too! I was surprised that was there when i cut mine out, i have more pics, but non are ready/online yet.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 AM
unvmyg35

Sub'd for future reference!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 PM
redline06

Just did mine , SPL solid diff bushings. Pain in the d!ck to install, esp on jackstands but so worth it
Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Put my whiteline setup in the other day, by far the most time consuming part was removing the old subframe bushing fully, I ended up taking a chisel and cutting it down one side until I could peel it out, and then did the same to the outer shell. Installation was super simple after that.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:09 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dry Ice!

I haven't read this for a few weeks but don't remember seeing this tip. I just did my bushing and used dry ice. Once you have the sub frame bushing out make sure you don't have ANY blemishes from the removal. If there are, fix them with sandpaper but do not make the bore any larger than the original. Your new bushing should be in the regular freezer 24 hours then buy a block of dry ice and one of those disposable styrofoam coolers for a couple of bucks. Place the bushing on the ice block for at least 4 hours. A 10 pound block lasted me almost 24 hours to help you plan your time. Mine shrunk by 0.008" total and was able to quickly place the cold bushing in the bore with just the pressure of the palm of my hand. As with any method you don't get very long to get it in there before you can't move it! Use heavy duty gloves. Dry Ice will destroy your skin! -107 degrees $4 suede work gloves from WalMart are fine.
I got my gloves and ice at Meijer for <$20 (9.4 pound block at $1.39/lb)

Also I did not mess around with removing anything towards the rear of the car. Once I had the pumkin out the new bushing can go in from the front. And probably no matter what brand it is if it shrinks by as much as mine did. Mine was designed to go in from the front anyway (small tapered lip on one end about 0.010" smaller than the rest of the bushing).

Last edited by bjr; 09-07-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ good info...thanks for sharing!

-J
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by *ICE*
does it matter if the ears are upside down or not? Both side are upside down so its even out. I dont think it really matters right?
It matters. The rear diff stud is now at the wrong angle.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
djamps

FYI, here's the state of my setup now. Loving it so far. There's a little NVH between 40-60mph but not as bad as I expected.

Quick Reply: DIY - Solid diff bushing install - No subframe drop method, no c clamp either!