Notices

5AT to 6MT Swap INFO, ***, DIY, GUIDE Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
DEMoLITIoN

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertouringz
-if i keep my 5at ecu, and get a 6MT engine harness and flash my 5AT ecu with the uprev 6MT rom would that work?
-what about the bcm?
-by EFI harness u mean engine harness right?
-will i need the interior harness as well when i change my engine harness?

You can use a 6MT EFI Harness with your 5AT ECU stock or flashed.
Yes EFI is the engine harness
You will not need the interior harness.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

There's really no need to get a new harness, the wiring is easier than swapping out the harness from what I can tell. The whole point of flashing the ecu is to make it basically have a 6m/t brain. So it really isn't any easier to swap the harness and keep the 5a/t. Imho that would be kind of dumb because harnesses could be a few hundred bucks unless you have a donor, and it's really just a single wire that needs to be done. But to each their own.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
There's really no need to get a new harness, the wiring is easier than swapping out the harness from what I can tell. The whole point of flashing the ecu is to make it basically have a 6m/t brain. So it really isn't any easier to swap the harness and keep the 5a/t. Imho that would be kind of dumb because harnesses could be a few hundred bucks unless you have a donor, and it's really just a single wire that needs to be done. But to each their own.
^^ you got good persuading skills hahaha

-----> i need pics of the wiring please

another question that's been in my head for 3 days now:
-i want to get a 6mt speedometer and make the shift like work.
-will the flash be enough to make it work or do i need a 6mt wiring harness?
-do i also need 6mt gauges or the flash will enable me to set the desired rpm for the shift light with my 5AT gauges?

Last edited by silvertouringz; 05-08-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM
driftk1d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to need to remove the area around the battery cover for the wiring. Here are pictures.

Name:  408dca05.jpg
Views: 7828
Size:  96.4 KB

you are going to need to splice the grey and red wire in the bottom right plug on the IMPD and jump it to the ignition fuse by the battery.

Name:  7a4ce12e.jpg
Views: 8984
Size:  48.1 KB

its the small red wire going from the pink ignition fuse to the bottom right of the IMPD. lmk if you guys have any questions.

Last edited by driftk1d; 05-10-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by driftk1d
You are going to need to remove the area around the battery cover for the wiring. Here are pictures.

you are going to need to splice the grey and red wire in the bottom right plug on the IMPD and jump it to the ignition fuse by the battery.

its the small red wire going from the pink ignition fuse to the bottom right of the IMPD. lmk if you guys have any questions.

going down to have a look under my hood
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
DEMoLITIoN

update everyone!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
ZWolf81

Nice thread! I hope to be doing my swap here in another 6 to 8 months or so.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 AM
cvc35

any updates?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:30 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by silvertouringz
^^ you got good persuading skills hahaha

-----> i need pics of the wiring please

another question that's been in my head for 3 days now:
-i want to get a 6mt speedometer and make the shift like work.
-will the flash be enough to make it work or do i need a 6mt wiring harness?
-do i also need 6mt gauges or the flash will enable me to set the desired rpm for the shift light with my 5AT gauges?
A if you want the 6mt speedo you need the full harness, and you should talk to dynosty about that. It will cost you a lot more than doing it our way and keeping the gauge cluster a/t. The little screen stays blank and there is no shift light. Otherwise everything is the same. A gauge cluster will cost you 500$ or more (depending on shipping to you), and the harness maybe 200$ give or take (that's with shipping). Then a reflash is a few hundred bucks... and before you know it, you're at over a thousand just for some useless stuff (oem to oem). Not worth it. If you want a shift light, buy an aftermarket one, rewire some resistors (depending on the light you buy, the current etc, and the led you use) and replace the retarded light with a little red led. Install anywhere. Done.

What you want is going to cost you way too much. Do it this way. The transmission and re-flash combined are expensive enough, the rest makes no difference to the car.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Resmarted

just put the motor and tranny in the car. Something weird's going on with the tranny mount.

We used the auto mount and just straight bolted it up.... Any ideas? The holes aren't lining up at all.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
DEMoLITIoN

just put the motor and tranny in the car. Something weird's going on with the tranny mount.

We used the auto mount and just straight bolted it up.... Any ideas? The holes aren't lining up at all.
You have to modify it before you try to install it or the holes will not line up with the chassis.

take a close look at the following pictures. You will need the nut that is welded to the crossmember to face the back of the car[pic1]. You will not be using that nut since that is for the AT configuration. Cut out the bracket inside the crossmember and slide the bolt through the other hole (drivers side)[pic1]. Then just take a nut that fits and use it to secure the bolt to the trans mount [pic2].

Old 06-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by DEMoLITIoN
You have to modify it before you try to install it or the holes will not line up with the chassis.

take a close look at the following pictures. You will need the nut that is welded to the crossmember to face the back of the car[pic1]. You will not be using that nut since that is for the AT configuration. Cut out the bracket inside the crossmember and slide the bolt through the other hole (drivers side)[pic1]. Then just take a nut that fits and use it to secure the bolt to the trans mount [pic2].
Hmmm alright thank you for the clarification. Will do that RIGHT now lol.

Last edited by Resmarted; 06-27-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM
driftk1d

Hmmm alright thank you for the clarification. Will do that RIGHT now lol.
thats pretty much what i told you in the PM, but in order for it to work after you do this you will need to spin the mount a full 180 so the holes line up.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Resmarted

thats pretty much what i told you in the PM, but in order for it to work after you do this you will need to spin the mount a full 180 so the holes line up.
Everything makes sense when you spin it around

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 AM
cvc35

Is that really all the wiring that is needed? I have most of the parts now and will be doing this myself hopefully sometime soon. Man I can't wait!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
DEMoLITIoN

Originally Posted by cvc35
Is that really all the wiring that is needed? I have most of the parts now and will be doing this myself hopefully sometime soon. Man I can't wait!
The only wiring that is needed is the starter signal. NPS is for cruise control and revers light switch doesn't matter.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM
r1forever

Hey everyone, I was in the middle of doin my 6mt swap. I had a 6mt engine harness I was swapping because I believe I have a few bad spots in my 5at harness. When plugging up everything I found the harness has different upstream o2 pigtails. They are only 4 wire plugs not the 6 wire wideband plugs. Is there any way to wire it to the 6 wire plug?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming this is all that needs to be done to get the car to start? Which ones for neutral? You wire up reverse and cruise control?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Resmarted

@jae I honestly am unsure about what you mean by neutral wire... I might be missing something here though.

I'm confused about the speed sensor (am i right on calling it the speed sensor?) on the tranny... What'd you guys do?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
DEMoLITIoN

@jae I honestly am unsure about what you mean by neutral wire... I might be missing something here though.

I'm confused about the speed sensor (am i right on calling it the speed sensor?) on the tranny... What'd you guys do?
The sensors on the trans are reverse lights and neutral position sensor. The reverse light switch does the obvious and the Neutral Position Switch is for Cruise Control. Both are not needed for the car to start and drive.

Quick Reply: 5AT to 6MT Swap INFO, ***, DIY, GUIDE Thread!