Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Wasso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure I'll hit you up with some questions at some point, of course not noob questions lol.

I know what you mean about build threads, I've noticed on my350z nobody holds back with opinion, with such a diverse country.

In England 99% people are just polite and reserved, which can be good and bad.

I'll prep you some questions over the weekend.

For the record your car is Shweeeeeeet!!

Originally Posted by CMyTailsBlink
i never created a thread on here for my LS build. After my first build, I got really tired of all the douchebags on here that have nothing of value to contribute and only talk crap about everything they can. There are a bunch of forum tough guys that try to act hard and pound their chests, but don't have the ***** to actaully say some of their **** to someone in person. I stopped even getting on the forums because it was a waste of time. Also, even after I made over 600rwhp on a single turbo, and stock heads people still talked **** about the build, and how STS sucks and can't make power, theres tons of turbo lag, and theres gotta be pressure drop blah blah blah. A bunch of internet know it alls that have no experience with anything they are talking about. These last few weeks have been the first time i've gotten on here in years, and that really only out of sheer bordom sitting in Afg.
As far as new vids, I've been deployed since Sep, but right before that I loaded a few new burnout videos. I'll be getting back home soon, and I will be heading to ZdayZ, where I'm sure there will be some new videos made. I have a few new additions that I will be showing off, and I have a surprise worked out with Bryan, so it should be fun.

This isn't specifically about my Z, but I get a little feature at the end.
https://vimeo.com/56601838

If you have any questions about doing an LS swap, just hit me up, i'll try to help you out as best I can.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 AM
ducky

Originally Posted by CMyTailsBlink
F*ck. I wrote you a long *** reply, and then it didn't post, so hear goes again.

For my harness, Bobby (owner of CIN motorsports and master fabricator of my set up) laid out the gm harness, and next to it the Nissan harness. He then went wire by wire and paired up all the pieces that talked to each other. If the wires served no purpose, they were removed. Thats my my CEL is on, there are too many things removed from the harness that the ECU wants to see. The only thing that didn't mach up, and work in the car, was the Tach, because GM uses one reference signal for the tach, and Nissan uses a difference reference signal. My boost controller acts as my tach.

For your set up, Stay away from warlboro. I "upgraded" my fuel pumps with two of those, and they both failed within a few months. Contacted Deatschwerks and got 2 of their pumps, and Holy monkey nuts, those things are beasts. They were so strong that I had to pull the fuse on one pump because I had so much fuel pressure i was super rich. Went and got a retune with both pumps going, and I haven't had any issues since. They've been in the car for like 2 years now.

Quaife rear diff, best one out there if ya ask me. Thats what I have, and my god that thing makes getting loose so much fun.

I'm running the BC's on my car and I love them. I have heavier springs though from what comes in the kit for the Z. You might want to look into doing the same. Pretty cheap upgrade.

Don't heat wrap, heat coat. I will protect the system so much better, and it will maintain more heat in the exhaust all the way back to the turbos. Its not cheap, but its fair superior to wrap.

I think thats about it. Let me know if i can hell ya out with anything else.

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for your input.

Last option for me is to use Speedhut gauges to replace all OEM ones if needed. My TCM/Optishift already shows the rpm so that's a good thing. I am using HPtuners with a standalone harness from PSi, simple and clean but planning for any concerns.

The manifolds/turbos will be coated and heat-wrapped while the exhaust will just be wrapped.

As for the DW pumps, well I have my surge tank setup for the Walbros ready so I will just hope it works out.

I am not sure if you mentioned it already but are you using the CJM duals or CIN made a twin pump drop in for you?

Overall, IMO it is imperative to size your setup on your needs and make everything work in harmony. At the end of the day if you are happy and satisfied with what you have that is what counts.

Next week I will update with some progress and maybe start a thread with my build.

4 digits here we come!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 AM
CMyTailsBlink

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ducky
Nick,

Thanks for your input.

Last option for me is to use Speedhut gauges to replace all OEM ones if needed. My TCM/Optishift already shows the rpm so that's a good thing. I am using HPtuners with a standalone harness from PSi, simple and clean but planning for any concerns.

The manifolds/turbos will be coated and heat-wrapped while the exhaust will just be wrapped.

As for the DW pumps, well I have my surge tank setup for the Walbros ready so I will just hope it works out.

I am not sure if you mentioned it already but are you using the CJM duals or CIN made a twin pump drop in for you?

Overall, IMO it is imperative to size your setup on your needs and make everything work in harmony. At the end of the day if you are happy and satisfied with what you have that is what counts.

Next week I will update with some progress and maybe start a thread with my build.

4 digits here we come!!!

My fuel system started as an APS extreme system, but its been modified along the way. The fuel hat assembly is still the one from the APS kit, but lines and rails have been changed.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 AM
ducky

Gotcha...Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
lower exhaust temps do indeed cause you to loose spool since the exhaust is loosing energy however you are misunderstanding slightly, heat wrapping and ceramic coatings cool OUTSIDE the pipes. they do that by acting like insulation making it more difficult for the heat from the exhuast to escape through the piping meaning the exhaust itself retains more heat.

so basically no coating/wrap means hotter temps outside the pipe, less heat inside, coating/wrap(i do both) means less temp outside the pipe but more inside meaning more of the energy is transferred to the turbine wheel. its just like insulating your house to keep heat in during the winter, you want more heat in the exhaust(but not too much, around 1600 degrees for the exhaust) and less in the intake, coating and wraps help with both especially if the turbo is in the engine bay

its not going to do much for keeping the power longer but it helps it happen faster are you running it on a lsx swap or the vq? you could pm me what your goals are and i can give you rough ideas. i can tell you my setup hits hard and fast even on low boost(20 psi) to the point im looking at alternative suspension options for better traction at higher power levels as well as bigger tires inside the stock body.
Thanks, I see what your saying and it all makes sense.

Goals , I'm running a GTM stage 2 tuner kit (with the standard 600cc, 255 fuel pump , downpipes, external turbosmart ultragate38 wastegates on 10 psi springs) on a stock HR block. Other add-ons, 3" dual exhaust, 25 row oil kit and good 8 puck clutch/ steel flywheel combo from southbend. Would like to hit high 400s with a max of 500whp on Osiris tune. I'm hoping to have a good powerband, be as efficient as possible, not chase numbers. Keep engine bay temps down and quick spool time.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Quamen

If anyone doing this swap is interested I have a mount kit for sale to install the 350z alternator on an LS1.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM
ducky

Quamen,

Can the other LSX accessories/belts work with this?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Quamen

Quamen,

Can the other LSX accessories/belts work with this?
Depends on which ones.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 AM
ducky

I'm piecing my front end drive accessories still. So thinking of going with the f-body front end drive or gto. Some brackets I'm probably gonna use alper motor sports, will also be using either ati or asp harmonic balancer.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM
QTB

I'm piecing my front end drive accessories still. So thinking of going with the f-body front end drive or gto. Some brackets I'm probably gonna use alper motor sports, will also be using either ati or asp harmonic balancer.
I have the Alper brackets, the PS and Alternator are not lined up very well and I have had issues eating belts, though I think I have it semi worked out. However, I have the Y-body (corvette) beltline so that's the main issue since it's closer to the block than the F-body/GTO.

I will say Alper is great to work with. Awesome customer service and they basically were willing to try anything I suggested.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 AM
sidewaysracin

I still have a set of long tube headers from Sikky I didn't use.. Tryin to get rid of these things. $550 shipped 1 7/8 with 3.5 in collector
Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM
ducky

Originally Posted by QTB
I have the Alper brackets, the PS and Alternator are not lined up very well and I have had issues eating belts, though I think I have it semi worked out. However, I have the Y-body (corvette) beltline so that's the main issue since it's closer to the block than the F-body/GTO.

I will say Alper is great to work with. Awesome customer service and they basically were willing to try anything I suggested.
Yea Alper is local to me so that helps alot. I am going to check them out tomorrow.

I am going towards a high/top mount AC and with Alternator as well but can do bottom/low mount. Still going to look into it more but going this route for better fitment on turbos.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 AM
mhammel20

Originally Posted by Quamen
If anyone doing this swap is interested I have a mount kit for sale to install the 350z alternator on an LS1.
Txt me.. 3176904781. I have a few questions about it.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM
04.350z

I have alper brackets and my belt chirps
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
QTB

Originally Posted by 04.350z
I have alper brackets and my belt chirps
I'm guessing you're in the same boat as me. The PS and Alt are about 1/16" offset from the rest of the belt line. The Alt should be an easy fix but the PS is basically resting against the block so something else will need to be done. Short term I've gone to a belt with 2 less ribs, 6 vs 8, I think, and offset them to there respective sides and it is working fine for now. Now sure how well it will handle extended track abuse though but I dynoed that way.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM
04.350z

I tjibk i need to order f body parts
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 PM
sidewaysracin

Name:  4E9A5B57-990E-4081-B6FB-14F60F3EFE54-3068-000001DD5650EA72.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  116.7 KBName:  BF816043-DA6F-4EF4-A25B-85C3DAD0D559-3068-000001DD576F5A60.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  107.8 KBName:  B679979F-B4C5-4028-859A-F37EB27D3C0C-3068-000001DD54CDE8A4.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  86.5 KBheres Some pics of the almost finished product. Can't wait to dyno it!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 PM
ducky

Looking good!!! What boost controller you using?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM
sidewaysracin

Not sure yet. I would like to get a turbosmart eboost.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM
ducky

Yea I was looking into the same or the AMS-500/1000

Quick Reply: The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread