Sponsored by:

Autotecknic or Craft Square?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:32 PM
vitaminZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silkk
Autotecknic here...

The mirrors are nice (although they seem a little "chincy" maybe b/c they are so light) and the silver CF weave is pretty solid. For an aftermarket mirror I think they are about as cool as it comes, but my car has a more "luxury" look to it and these are pretty "rAcey"... Either way, I took an hour or two to install them so I'm leaving them on a while. Let me know what y'all think. They obviously sit higher than OEM, but it's actually a cool perspective looking into them and the visibility is much better than OEM. The mirror sits higher than stock; thus above the wide rear fenders and it makes a big difference.

On with some pics:

looks great!! i like your Zs look and stance!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:02 PM
maximumsportZ

Well I guess I'll share mine too.

Matches my interior CF gauge cover.

I love these things, they look sick and you can view into your blindspot now. I'm probably going to paint the bases black though.

Bonus interior shot:
Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Silkk

Paint the bases bro. I did mine after having the silver base for only 2 days. Looks 100x better.

Now with black bases...

Looks 100x better IMO.

Sorry for pic quality the camera was on the wrong presets...

Old 05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
maximumsportZ

Nice what did you use to paint them? And what do you think about the paint chipping?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 AM
BJF2K

Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wow.

so Pink is teh new Black, eh?

Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Silkk

Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Silkk

I used 2 coats primer, 2 coats flat black, 2 coats clear rustoleum with a tiny bit of 800-1200 grit sanding between primer and color coats. I allowed clear to dry for 8 hours or so then claybar'd them and waxed them.

It may chip, it may not. I'll get them professionally painted once I take the door apart again or have more than a weekend off. I need like 2-3 weekdays off to get it done, as this is my only car and driving without mirrors is risky.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice. Got my mirrors today. Thank you Darren at IM. Very nicely made. Think I will leave my bases aluminum for a while anyway. Can't wait to put them on. By the way, that is one hot pink Z BJF2K! Mirrors look good on it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:28 AM
nexstage350

looking good sikk!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Vash350Z

mmmmm....me like.

So whats the official weight on there compared to stock?
Old 05-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why you save your ducketts and buy authentic as opposed to replica:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/191118-autotechnic-cf-mirrors-loose-pivot-point.html
Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kwame@z1

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191118
ouch
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
gringott

Don't get too upset or start thinking you would have sold a bunch of the Craftsquare mirrors. At almost $400 more a set, do you really think any of these people would have purchased Craftsquare? Shoot, why purchase a Z? Save your ducketts and buy an authentic sports car like a Ferrari or Lambo etc. Because I wouldn't buy a sports car at those prices. Or the Craftsquare mirrors. But these I can afford.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:21 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
Don't get too upset or start thinking you would have sold a bunch of the Craftsquare mirrors. At almost $400 more a set, do you really think any of these people would have purchased Craftsquare? Shoot, why purchase a Z? Save your ducketts and buy an authentic sports car like a Ferrari or Lambo etc. Because I wouldn't buy a sports car at those prices. Or the Craftsquare mirrors. But these I can afford.
+1

I think Adam is already mad, didn't he say a couple pages back he was taking off is "Craftsquare" mirrors since everyone is buying the Autotecknic?

I've never understood some vendors here, why even make a comment like that.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
So if I use your logic then you would consider the Z a replica sports car? What is it replicating? What does the statement "Save your ducketts and buy an authentic sports car like a Ferrari or Lambo etc." even mean?

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
+1

I think Adam is already mad, didn't he say a couple pages back he was taking off is "Craftsquare" mirrors since everyone is buying the Autotecknic?

I've never understood some vendors here, why even make a comment like that.
Here is what I don't understand, what is the sense in buying a set of $150 mirrors because they are carbon fiber if they are doing an inferior job compared to the stock mirrors? Last time I checked a mirror that is flimsy enough to "blow in" doesn't do you any good unless you are parallel parked on a narrow street.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:05 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So if I use your logic then you would consider the Z a replica sports car? What is it replicating? What does the statement "Save your ducketts and buy an authentic sports car like a Ferrari or Lambo etc." even mean?

Here is what I don't understand, what is the sense in buying a set of $150 mirrors because they are carbon fiber if they are doing an inferior job compared to the stock mirrors? Last time I checked a mirror that is flimsy enough to "blow in" doesn't do you any good unless you are parallel parked on a narrow street.

Here is what I don't understand, do you plan on taking the Seibon hoods off your site, and tell us to "save your ducketts" and buy authentic Veilside and Top Secret??? Aren't you perpetuating replica's by selling Seibon, but you complain about Craftsquare replica's?

So it's okay to sell Seibon, but not okay for us to buy Autotecknic?

Last edited by buzzardmountain; 05-15-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
gringott

+1. It's all about the money man. The mirrors are replicas, of mirrors, for God's sake. They are all over from various brands in various shapes and sizes. This is senseless. If I have to buy two 3 cent setscrews and drill two holes, tap them and screw them in, a total of 2 minutes next time I am in the hardware store, and give it thirty minutes total for drilling and tapping, and can save $400 bucks, I'm there.

Sour grapes from a vendor does not gain my business. I am glad we have a choice, because I won't purchase the mirrors on your site for that obscene amount of money. Early in this thread I asked if you could lower your prices a bit because I would rather have the Craftsquare. The silence was overwelming. Nuff said.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No clue as to why these mirrors are such a sensitive area for Z1 either..

I REALLY don't think these knock offs are cutting into their Craftsquare sales.. CS prolly makes an excellent mirror but I personally would never have paid the $589+shipping for them and then have to wait 6-8 weeks too.. and I'm sure a lot of people in this thread feel the same way.. I mean I could buy 3 sets of these mirrors for the price of one Craftsquare and have them in one week! I'm sure the majority of people in this thread don't have one problem with the replica mirrors.. I'm just bummed that I seem to be very bad luck when it comes to buying stuff online..

If anything, I would think that having more people with these replica mirrors and pics posted everywhere may get Z1 a sale or two of the Craftsquare ones that have a lower stalk and are authentic JDM.. if they would just embrace the mod and not belittle it... It makes Z1 come off as a very confrontational or something and they are not bad guys. That's why i find their reaction kinda odd..

--mike

Last edited by leemik; 05-15-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

damn bro

Nope these are not cutting into the CS sales at all - the mirrors don't sell in the first place, because of their cost. I knew that when I added them to the site. It's that way for alot of products we offer for the Z. I know the fitment and quality of the products we sell and that is why we sell them. If a replica comes along that can offer the consumer a quality item for a lower cost, we actually look to first test fit one and use it ourselves, and if it's worthwhile, offer it to our customers.

I would not have even bothered to add the CS stuff to the site in the first place, but for the fact that I got them for my car, and know we have easy access to get more should the need arise. Most actually can be had in very short order as they maintain large inventory levels and our price factors in air freight. The 6-8 week time frame is there to cover us should they be backordered on a particular item or component. I know the mirrors are pricey, and as such, not for everyone. My comment was only that I cannot stand having "me too" parts. Kwame is a big boy and can have his own comments/opinions and comment on them himself.

As for lowering the price, it is what it is - there is very little margin in them after the shipping to us is factored in. I wish we could acquire them for a lower cost, but, like many JDM products, that's just how it goes sometimes.

No I dont think by selling Seibon we are contradicting ourselves, just like when we sell Aerosync, which I also have on my car, we are contradicting ourselves. Replicas are fine, so long as they work as they should. When the product is inferior to the original though, either in it's fitment, or it's longevity, or some other important aspect of it, I fail to see the point in making the compromise, regardless of the cost differential. For some the compromise might be worth it, for myself, it's not. I've spent more money on building my own cars over the last 10+ years,and have spent a ton of money on junk; enough to know that I like doing things right the first time and don't enjoy buying something because it was readily available vs buying what I really wanted. Sometimes that means waiting to see what others have to say about a product, and sometimes that means dropping the cash and taking the plunge to try it myself. Personally, I am not interested in spending time modifying a product to make it work. For others, they might actually enjoy iy; I just don't have the time nor inclination to start playing with stuff.

Anyway, that's my opinion, for better or worse

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-15-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Autotecknic or Craft Square?