Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger seat airbag On/Off switch.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Passenger seat airbag On/Off switch.

OKI... Let me put on my flame suit, because Im sure everyones going to chime in on why's and what for's on top of the information I want.

I was actually reading my manual today at the courtesyparts.com site and noticed that the Z does have the option to have a passenger seat airbag On/Off switch installed. I dont know how much it would cost, but I think I could prove the necessity to have it installed to whatever govering body approves such things. Of course, the main reason you'd want to turn it off is so you could transport a child.

I have two daily drivers, I will admit that. One is a serious beater, one is our family SUV, and there is the Z. Granted this time of year, I would hardly consider even driving the Z by myself, much less strap in a child. But come summer time in Iowa, I would love to put the lil man in and cruise with him. Not spirited driving, nothing crazy, but on days I want to go driving with just the boy and I. Then of course, there would always be the days when mom will take her SUV, or the beater, and I need to run out somewhere but dont feel like taking the other car. I believe it will be likely at some point, that the occasion will arise that I will either want to, or need to, strap him in and go somewhere.

My son will be three, so he would be in a front facing car seat, and is well behaved during trips, so he wouldnt be a distraction to my driving. He does enjoy when I take him on trips in the ****alier, and Im sure he'd enjoy a ride in the Z. (He seems to think the Z is his anyway.)

So, anyone have any idea where I would go to get this installed? How long does it take, or even have any information about it at all?

-Brian (awaits the inevitable responses of why would I buy a sports car to carry a child around and such.)
Old 12-21-2006, 12:06 AM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got to love getting the lil'n into zeds at a young age.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Exactly, I first thought maybe for fun, Id take him driving around a parking lot, so he wouldnt feel like Im excluding him from the Z. Even then, Im afraid it might pop and hurt him. If its possible, I'd love to just have the option to turn it off.
I appreciate the comment without judgment. I hope a few others here chime in.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Ugh, why was this moved??????????

Thanks mods.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Sean_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you contacted a Nissan dealer about the install? I'm actually surprised it wasn't required to have the switch. Government regulations were requiring them in trucks and 2 seat cars until the "sensing" passenger side airbags were developed. I actually co-hold the patent for the switch that was in GM trucks, H2s, and Vettes starting in the late 90s (tooting own horn there. LOL). The original use was only supposed to be a few years but it took quite a bit longer for the OEMs to get a system in place that sensed the occupant well enough to work consistantly. The switch shouldn't be that involved. They essentially cut power to the passenger bag and have an indicator of some sort that notifies you of the bag being deactivated. The GM trucks had the switch on the IP while the Vette and the Caddy XLR had it in the glovebox. They were required to have a method that only the key could be used to operate the switch. A non-keyed key cylinder of some sort. Something that a child couldn't just stick any small object in to operate.

Last edited by Sean_350z; 12-21-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:50 AM
marlinsfan

You need to go to the national highway safety administration website and download the application for permit to install the switch. It's a simple form you fill in, fax in, and in a couple of weeks you get something in the mail which gives you permission to install the switch.

http://www.safercar.gov/airbags/Broc...tchRequest.PDF

In that envelope you will receive a the info of a couple of companies that make the switch. airbagonoff is the most widely used one. For $180 they will send you a switch with detailed instructions. They will also send you a list of shops in your area that will install the switch for you. The nissan dealers in S. Florida refuse to do the install for safety reasons.....

http://www.airbagonoff.com/

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 AM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

There are Lots of Lousy drivers, that are driving SUV/Trucks (Texas). When one hits the passenger side of a tiny 350Z...

I'd wait till the kids get older to take them out in the 350Z.

My .02, but your child's life.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Well, I was wondering when someone would chime in with a "dont get your kid killed" kind of response. Thanks highwayspeed, I know your hearts in the right place. I wont get into a diatribe about how I wouldnt ever put my son in harms way with my driving.

Marlin and sean, thanks for the replies. I'll be taking the info you gave me Marlin and faxing it in. Really appreciate it. I doubt I will have cause to use it very often. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Nukiz0r; 12-21-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:21 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some helpful threads of users with previous experience (some for track events, some so they can drive with their children:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=airbag
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/45615-airbag-on-off-switch.html
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/27045-is-the-airbag-cutoff-switch-available-yet.html

It looks like it might be expensive, but may be well worth it for some cruising time with the little ones.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Thanks JT, Ill check them out. I did a search on it and nothing specific came up without about 30 pages to go through.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
DrKungPao

I got this installed on my '03. Ive got a 7 yr old daughter. I have a 350z and a 64 chevy impala. those are my two options. shes definately safer in the Z without the airbag then she is in the impala with a lap belt.

the best way to stay out of accidents is to pay attention... of course there is always gunna be freak things happen, but we cant avoid those no matter what.

PM me if u have any questions about the install or anything else and good luck.